Mccall

Santana

Coming back to this thread from yesterday and reading all the comments all I can say is thank God McCall is the manager and not some of the folk who post on here! (And doubtless that'll cause massive offence and and fury 'cos we can call the manager and the players 'sh*te' and 'ars*es' and anything else we like, but hint at the possibility that some of the Thistle support aren't as supportive as they could be and all hell breaks lose.) I'd like to know how we could acquire better players than the ones we've got paying the wages we can currently afford. I'd also like to know how we could be more successful playing youngsters from our under 19 team who have no experience of playing first team football. So you want rid of McCall - I defy anyone to identify a manager we could afford who could do a better job with the resources we currently have. There's an assumption being generated on this forum that we all agree that McCall should go. Not in my name! McCall's the best man for the job and we'll still finish in the top half of the league!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming back to this thread from yesterday and reading all the comments all I can say is thank God McCall is the manager and not some of the folk who post on here! (And doubtless that'll cause massive offence and and fury 'cos we can call the manager and the players 'sh*te' and 'ars*es' and anything else we like, but hint at the possibility that some of the Thistle support aren't as supportive as they could be and all hell breaks lose.) I'd like to know how we could acquire better players than the ones we've got paying the wages we can currently afford. I'd also like to know how we could be more successful playing youngsters from our under 19 team who have no experience of playing first team football. So you want rid of McCall - I defy anyone to identify a manager we could afford who could do a better job with the resources we currently have. There's an assumption being generated on this forum that we all agree that McCall should go. Not in my name! McCall's the best man for the job and we'll still finish in the top half of the league!

Or mine! I was wavering a wee bit after the Stirling Albion(at Firhill)/Queen of the South/Dunfermline trilogy, but since then there has been some improvement. Mid table will be a good achievement this season....although the usual suspects will see this as mediocrity :rolleyes:

Or mine! I was wavering a wee bit after the Stirling Albion(at Firhill)/Queen of the South/Dunfermline trilogy, but since then there has been some improvement. Mid table will be a good achievement this season....although the usual suspects will see this as mediocrity :rolleyes:

I have no idea on what fans are basing a mid -table finish on.Yesterday was as bad and in many ways very similar to some of the worst Dickie Campbell games.The team on occasion was strung out over the length of the pitch, no pressing, no overlapping,no support from midfield to the forward line,no mid fielders bursting a gut to get into the box to support the isolated forwards.It's been like this for over a season now and these are all aspects that are totally down to management and should be being worked on constantly,real basics of football at this level.

McCall is letting us down,there might not be a better replacement but we should all be demanding more out of the management team we have.I actually think he's getting off pretty light on a Saturday regarding criticism from the stand ,DC got far more and his team wasn't much worse.

We are THISTLE,we can go down no question,I would take third bottom right now. Got a horrible feeling this season is going to end with us playing Dick Campbell's Forfar in the play-offs

Some sections of the support are happy enough to dish out criticism to the management and players this season so they can expect it back without complaint.

When the management or players are paying into Firhill then maybe you'd have a point. At a time where the board are wanting to get more people through the door it's just idiotic of McCall to attempt to alienate some of those who still are paying their money every week. The team yesterday got the support they deserved. Also isn't it strange how Paton has been critical of the support and gestured such at both Ayr and Raith Rovers to be roundly criticised yet McCall is allowed to essentially do the same in his after match comments and we're meant to accept it?

I'd like to know how we could acquire better players than the ones we've got paying the wages we can currently afford.

Stirling gubbed us with part timers and Cowdenbeath are ahead of us in the league with part timers. That wouldn't be so bad if we in fact looked like a far fitter more efficient team given the difference in time spent training but we don't. We had no budget to sign anyone in the summer yet handed out extensions last year at a very early stage of the season to ageing players when no one could confidently say what condition they would be in come the summer.

I'd also like to know how we could be more successful playing youngsters from our under 19 team who have no experience of playing first team football.

The youngsters couldn't have done much worse coming off the bench than a completely unfit and ineffective Rowson and a disinterested Donnelly yesterday. I don't think anyone is advocating throwing 11 youngsters in and seeing how they do but it does no one any good having the likes of Cairney playing so terribly for most of the season with no incentive to improve since the manager is unwilling to drop his first team players unless forced to do so by injury. The money spent on the youth system is just going to benefit other teams rather than ourselves if we continue to not include them at least on the bench and they become frustrated at the lack of opportunities.

So you want rid of McCall - I defy anyone to identify a manager we could afford who could do a better job with the resources we currently have. There's an assumption being generated on this forum that we all agree that McCall should go. Not in my name! McCall's the best man for the job and we'll still finish in the top half of the league!

Ahh the old "name someone better or you're wrong" argument. I don't need to name 20 good films to know one isn't very good, likewise I don't need to know who is available and wants the Thistle job to want McCall to go. What happens when we don't finish in the top half of the league just like we didn't last season? Do we just pretend that everything is alright and that the lower half of the 1st division should be our accepted level?

Re the lack of effort. A couple of times Flannigan got himself surrounded by Morton players by the touchline and I'm yelling for someone to go and help him out but they all just stood there waiting for either Flannigan to get out of it himself or, as happened on both occasions, lose the ball. He just needed someone to get themselves into a bit of space so he could release the ball. Whether they couldn't be bothered, weren't physically capable or just don't have enough of a football brain I don't know.

Absolutely. The lack of movement we have at our own throw-ins is also alarming. The thing I find infuriating about Flannigan is even on the rare occasion where someone does make a run, he doesn't anticipate it and just tries to dribble his way to the D to take a shot, losing the ball 9 times in 10.

I was really looking forward to the game yesterday and quite enjoyed the first ten minutes where I thought we created a few good chances and really should have capitalised on them. Thereafter and for reasons unknown, the game plunged into typically turgid dour Scottish affair where hopeless long balls were punted in the hope that someone might get a lucky break. Both teams probably tried hard but as far as entertainment went, it was pretty poor.

Was it worth £17, of course not. Will I be back, of course I will... I enjoyed meeting up with mates, had a good laugh (some of it at the expense of those on the pitch) and this was less expensive than seeing a therapist, spending a day in the boozer or going round the shops with the wife.

Where will we end up this year? Proabably mid-table. Did I predict the round stoppage for the Haye vs Harrison clash and tell anyone who would listen? Of course I did. Did I put money on it? Don't be silly. Did I waste £14.95 on a two fight (nae luck Kenny Anderson btw)bill that had "con" written all over it? You guess... :angry: £30+ spent on non-events yesterday but I'll be back. I think both Thistle and Sky see me coming.

People were booing the team at HALF TIME as well!

No team tried to run the time down - there was no time wasting and. The game was pretty end to end until the final whistle. This makes it sound more entertaining that it actually was but its true none the less.

Hodge and Flannigan played pretty well today and would get pass marks from me along with Archie, Willie and McNamara. Cairney, and Grehan gave the ball away far too much, the rest tried but didn't. really manage to make any impact on the game.

I'm not that concerned about our league position ... yet. We cannot allow ourselves to be cast adrift at the bottom - we are already 7pts from 5th and no matter how compact the rest of the teams are, we got to start climbing the league soon.

Some sections of the support are happy enough to dish out criticism to the management and players this season so they can expect it back without complaint.

Hope you don't mind, but I did some minor editing to save me the trouble of writing my own post.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by Jaggernaut

Another thing. McCall can **** off in his post match comment about the the crowd not getting behind the team.

"They are out their giving their all for Partick Thistle. We have a great support but at times I just wish they would really get behind us and give the players the support that they deserve."

After a performance like that, no wonder there's no atmosphere at Firhill. I can't be bothered posting the quote about him mentioning the wages some of players are on.

Utterly cringworthy excuses.

Folk, on both set of supporters were robbed of good money today after that awful spectacle.

Good points. I'd have said that the crowd deserved praise for trying to get some singing going several times during the match, even when the players were serving up dross.

It would help tho if the 'singing section' :puke: was moved to the other end of the JHS.

You might be right, but what's to stop all the guys who get the singing going to move there of their own free will? I doubt if there are any regular season ticket holders away over there.

I remember back in the late 60s/early 70s most of theshed "choir" traditionally stood quite near the front of the centre of the shed, with the result that visiting fans used to stand behind us, from where they'd lob various missiles onto us during the matches. Some of us got fed up with this and moved further back up the shed, got the singing going, and were soon joined by more and more guys, so that by the end of the shed days the singers themselves had moved to a permanent new position.

Ah, nostalgia (sigh!).

Most of the players on the pitch to be quite honest. There were times in the game today when it was obvious no-one could be ar5ed so they just punted a long ball up the park. And on a few occasions when Fox had the ball and was looking to release it quickly, no-one was looking to receive it. And very few looked to be wanting to get the ball and do something worthwhile with it. How many times did we lazily give the ball away today?

I completely agree with you that there is little atmosphere at Firhill but at a time when we need as many paying customers as we can get, the last thing the manager should be doing is criticising those who do spend their hard earned money when it is he who is responsible for the fans being critical of the product on the pitch, which you will agree is ultimately his responsibility?

Agreed. But don't forget the lack of effort from the manager. It seems clear that he does the minimum, as his tactics almost never change from week to week. He doesn't seem interested in learning or even trying anything new. I strongly suspect that the manager's attitude of "we're sh*te, and need to do our best to avoid defeat against Morton/Stirling/Cowdenbeath (actually insert anybody there), even if we don't win" rubs off on the players.

You might be right, but what's to stop all the guys who get the singing going to move there of their own free will? I doubt if there are any regular season ticket holders away over there.

Because the Kid Zone/Family Section is there. The far end is generally not used but switchin the kids area wi the shed shouldn't be too difficult if it's what the majority want. The point being we are closer to the away fans...on days like yesterday that could've been the catalyst to generate an atmosphere.

Absolutely. The lack of movement we have at our own throw-ins is also alarming. The thing I find infuriating about Flannigan is even on the rare occasion where someone does make a run, he doesn't anticipate it and just tries to dribble his way to the D to take a shot, losing the ball 9 times in 10.

Thanks, I knew there was something else: our shots from outside the box (with one or two exceptions: Hodge last week, Paton against Cowdenbeath) are a national embarrassment. Sky high, nowhere near on target, or sclaffed trundlers which I think I've seen opposition defenders laugh at.

McCall can say what he wants, I pay to go and watch the team, they don't pay me to go and sing. Singing is a way of encouragement and a way of showing support and whilst players and teams may raise their game slightly if there is an 'atmosphere' there is no league table for best fans.

More to the point, if everyone in the JH gets their tops off, sings their hearts out, jumps up and down and does the conga for 90 minutes doea that mean we will win?

He is a complete cretain.

I feel they are acceptable, sorry.

That makes no sense. Should you not be moaning at people shouting at the football or something?

The fact you don't get it says it all really. If you feel the original comment you posted is acceptable then i can only hope you never set foot inside Firhill again.

This is where i have a problem with sum of the thistle support. I can more than accept people should be critised, people are also more than entitled to swear at the football.......but it has to be within reason. Your post is abusive , non constructive and insulting.

The team isn't playing as we'd like , of course McCall is making mistakes but "A RETARD" really ? That's acceptable ? Sorry, under no circumstances is that acceptable.

The fact you don't get it says it all really. If you feel the original comment you posted is acceptable then i can only hope you never set foot inside Firhill again.

This is where i have a problem with sum of the thistle support. I can more than accept people should be critised, people are also more than entitled to swear at the football.......but it has to be within reason. Your post is abusive , non constructive and insulting.

The team isn't playing as we'd like , of course McCall is making mistakes but "A RETARD" really ? That's acceptable ? Sorry, under no circumstances is that acceptable.

When did you get appointed moral guardian of the Thistle support? If you have a problem with his post then report it to a moderator. I'd have thought you'd have got the hang of reporting people saying things you don't agree with by now.

Because the Kid Zone/Family Section is there. The far end is generally not used but switchin the kids area wi the shed shouldn't be too difficult if it's what the majority want. The point being we are closer to the away fans...on days like yesterday that could've been the catalyst to generate an atmosphere.

It was raised with cowan almost 2 seasons ago that having the kids zone where it is was a mistake.

I'm always in the kids zone and i do think it would be best at the other end of the ground. Despite what some may think, I love hearing the shed in full voice, being closer to the away fans may help generate more of an atmosphere. Can assure everyone that the kids zone has a great atmosphere when the team is doing well.......in fact more often than not kids zone has a good atmosphere regardless....as a good few of the kids are excited about being at match.

There is too much moaning and complaining but no one seems to want to "grab the bull by the horns" and do something.

David Beattie gave an open invitation for suggestions and emails. OK he wants ideas bout fans representative but if this is something a lot of you guys want, email your suggestion to him.

When did you get appointed moral guardian of the Thistle support? If you have a problem with his post then report it to a moderator. I'd have thought you'd have got the hang of reporting people saying things you don't agree with by now.

Seems the "stirling incident "won't be forgotten or put to rest will it ? I won't go over it again as you clearly didn't understand the problem.

so if i don't agree with something i don't get to express my view...is that it? Is this forum just for the ones who want to be abusive ? Thankfully it's not but seems you'd be quite happy if it was.

i'm not appointed anything to do with the thistle support, I'll post my feelings just the same as everyone else though.You don't have to like it or think i'm right, i'm big enough and ugly enough to take it.

Tell you what i'll make things nice n simple for you...just so there is no confusion:

Love hearing the shed singing, love the songs sung(and just in case you say i have problem with FTP & FTQ song, i don't, that was my dad)..don't have issue with swearing, think it has to be kept in line depending on where people are and who is with them but would never advocate no swearing at football. Have no problem with team being critised, board or manager. we all have players we like, or dislike, no issue with that.

I do, however, have problems with people calling anyone associated with PTFC a "retard". Have an even bigger issue if the same person then thinks it's acceptable. Hey thats just me, perhaps i have higher standards than some. Calling anyone a retard no matter the circumstances is wrong.

What a nasty post.

Edited by kni

You say this is NOT the time to blood the youngsters? Well I for one am sick of watching the same group of players from last season struggle this season again. We need something new, and with no money to spend on bringing new players in, what are we left with? Our youngsters yes.

This a hard one to call. Earlier in the season Bannigan played against Ayr United and had an oustanding game. He then played against Stirling Albion and really didn't make an impression and obviously heard the crowds disappointment. What does that do for his confidence ? Has he played since ? You can only play these young guys when they are ready and aren't going to be demotivated by an angry crowd.

I have no idea on what fans are basing a mid-table finish on.....we can go down no question,I would take third bottom right now.

On current performance, we are heading for relegation.

The youngsters couldn't have done much worse coming off the bench than a completely unfit and ineffective Rowson and a[n un]interested Donnelly yesterday.......The money spent on the youth system is just going to benefit other teams rather than ourselves if we continue to not include them at least on the bench and they become frustrated at the lack of opportunities.

Despite the much-vaunted youth system, there seems to be a reluctance to give youngsters a run out. Even looking ahead to next season, can we really expect to have paid off most of our older players and then field an instantly successful team of virgin youngsters? Regardless of whether the team played in the First or the Second Division, that would be even less realistic than giving some of the youngsters the opportunity to win their spurs now.

It seems clear that [the manager] does the minimum, as his tactics almost never change from week to week. He doesn't seem interested in learning or even trying anything new. I strongly suspect that the manager's attitude of "we're sh*te, and need to do our best to avoid defeat against Morton/Stirling/Cowdenbeath (actually insert anybody there), even if we don't win" rubs off on the players.

That's certainly what it looks like - McCall needs to buck up his ideas on motivation PDQ, or we'll just slide gracelessly and deservedly into the Second Division, to the gleeful amusement of the part-timers in Stirling and Cowdenbeath. :(

On current performance, we are heading for relegation.

Despite the much-vaunted youth system, there seems to be a reluctance to give youngsters a run out. Even looking ahead to next season, can we really expect to have paid off most of our older players and then field an instantly successful team of virgin youngsters? Regardless of whether the team played in the First or the Second Division, that would be even less realistic than giving some of the youngsters the opportunity to win their spurs now.

That's certainly what it looks like - McCall needs to buck up his ideas on motivation PDQ, or we'll just slide gracelessly and deservedly into the Second Division, to the gleeful amusement of the part-timers in Stirling and Cowdenbeath. :(

Shocked to hear of McCalls criticism of PTFC FANS yesterday,why shouldnt we boo,was that supposed to be entertainment? McCALL set his team out not to get beat,five at the back, no width in the team and strikers who never even looked like scoring,no doubt in my mind McCALL would be away if we could afford to pay him off. This is McCalls legacy,players who are not fit to wear the PTFC strip, final point is our budget that much less than Raith Rovers ?

Shocked to hear of McCalls criticism of PTFC FANS yesterday,why shouldnt we boo,was that supposed to be entertainment? McCALL set his team out not to get beat,five at the back, no width in the team and strikers who never even looked like scoring,no doubt in my mind McCALL would be away if we could afford to pay him off. This is McCalls legacy,players who are not fit to wear the PTFC strip, final point is our budget that much less than Raith Rovers ?

good point re budget.

Raith certainly make good use of the loans, they've had some great players from DUFC.

Agreed. But don't forget the lack of effort from the manager. It seems clear that he does the minimum, as his tactics almost never change from week to week. He doesn't seem interested in learning or even trying anything new. I strongly suspect that the manager's attitude of "we're sh*te, and need to do our best to avoid defeat against Morton/Stirling/Cowdenbeath (actually insert anybody there), even if we don't win" rubs off on the players.

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but what else does McCall do if Maxwell is doing the coaching now? Maybe I'm wrong, but have we not dipped since that happened? Maybe there's a good answer but I'm certainly curious.

Re: the youths, he'll have to put (at least) two of them on the bench on Saturday as it's the Scottish Cup.

I could understand the logic of having Maxwell on the bench to an extent (Archie is made of glass these days and Willie K is only ever one brainfart away from getting himself injured / sent off)and Morton were always going to have at least one big lump up front, but Rowson and Donnelly- that was pretty uninspiring.