Credit Where Credit Is Due

lennythistle

....he gets a hard time on here for his tactics......made same change last week and got slaughtered.

Takes off Buckie and Dools, puts on Sid and Grehan....both score and we're in next round.

Well done Corkie. Well done Sid n Grehan.........WELL DONE JAGS !

yes,its not ideal trying to follow a game by text updates,but that is a result we badly needed,now we need a half decent home draw !!

I slagged him off in another thread but my MoTM today was Cairney. Played much like his old self today and a cracking finish for the opener.

Rowson (whose match fitness I doubted in the same thread) was also superb today.

Got to give credit to Erskine as well who had a decent second half.

I would say a deserved win, but more on the amount of possession we had, not really chances created. Fox had 2 really gd saves in the 1st half, & 1min after they scored they hit the post. Apart from that, we had the most of the possession & had many chances to shoot, but didn't.

Good goal from Cairney, & was unlucky to not score a similar goal in the 1st half, he looked better today, got round the pitch & got stuck in. Sid's goal was rather fortunate that it fell to him, but good play initially from Cairney to forcr his way through on goal. 3rd goal, may have been an own goal, but again good play by Donnelly who put Boyle through (he only put Boyle through as there was no pass backwards, as he initially tried to do).

Thought Paton had a good game, however it could have been even better. Kane at LB didn't know what to do when Paton ran it him, but not once did Paton actually take him on. Hodge was good, driving forward & having afew shots in the 2nd half. Archie was the best of the CB's, but Kinniburgh also solid.

There wasn't a failure for effort in the team today, Buchanan was pretty poor though, had plenty chances to take defenders on, which he tried to do, but failed.

I would say a deserved win, but more on the amount of possession we had, not really chances created. Fox had 2 really gd saves in the 1st half, & 1min after they scored they hit the post. Apart from that, we had the most of the possession & had many chances to shoot, but didn't.

Good goal from Cairney, & was unlucky to not score a similar goal in the 1st half, he looked better today, got round the pitch & got stuck in. Sid's goal was rather fortunate that it fell to him, but good play initially from Cairney to forcr his way through on goal. 3rd goal, may have been an own goal, but again good play by Donnelly who put Boyle through (he only put Boyle through as there was no pass backwards, as he initially tried to do).

Thought Paton had a good game, however it could have been even better. Kane at LB didn't know what to do when Paton ran it him, but not once did Paton actually take him on. Hodge was good, driving forward & having afew shots in the 2nd half. Archie was the best of the CB's, but Kinniburgh also solid.

There wasn't a failure for effort in the team today, Buchanan was pretty poor though, had plenty chances to take defenders on, which he tried to do, but failed.

Good summary. A big part of Liam's problem is his first touch when he receives the ball. He simply doesn't manage to trap it cleanly, ever. In fact first touches are a problem throughout the team. But at least today they showed some grit and determination, both elements that were absent at Stirling a few weeks ago.

MotM for me would have been FOX. Three excellent stops, good kicking, and comfortable at crosses.

I slagged him off in another thread but my MoTM today was Cairney. Played much like his old self today and a cracking finish for the opener.

Rowson (whose match fitness I doubted in the same thread) was also superb today.

Got to give credit to Erskine as well who had a decent second half.

In my opinion Rowsers fitness should never be questioned. He is again imho one of the best players we have had at our club in recent years !

Take it ur not a Donnelly fan then? Seeing as ur trying as hard as possible to give no credit whatsoever for anything. His goal was a brilliant finish and his ball through to Boyle was absolutely class for the third. Im not a Donnelly raver and I dont think he should be starting for us but credit where credit is due IMVHO.

Team played some nice stuff at times and I thought it was an entertaining game especially in the second half. After they scored the game completely opened up. Really pleased we got the result that was necessary! Just hope we get a good draw in the next round.

Mon Ra Jags!!!!

Can't really add much to what's already been said about the team today, the effort put in was excellent and Cairney was my MOTM. One thing I have to mention though is McHale's near miss on Buchanan. If his wild two footed lunge had made any sort of connection then it was the sort of challenge that ends careers. Liam did well to avoid it and also to remain calm after that as he would have had every right to retaliate.

What a difference a post can make! Their chance just after their equaliser goes in and it's a completely different game. Some excellent stops from Fox too.

The terracing was some laugh too. Ian McCall's hairy army. :lol:

In my opinion Rowsers fitness should never be questioned. He is again imho one of the best players we have had at our club in recent years !

I agree. I wouldn't have doubted his inclusion but for his 10 minute cameo last week when he looked off the pace. He was back to his old self today.

Thought it was a deserved win that could have been perhaps a bit more convincing. We looked no bad in the first half, getting forward with some slick passing and moving. Erskine impressing the most throughout.

Into the second half and Stirling came back into it a wee bit before Cairney's drive gave us the lead looked relatively comfortable until we ineexplicably allowed Smith to score against us again and were very lucky not to be 2-1 down when Comvalius (?) hit the post with an effort almost identical to Smith's.

Donnelly put us back in front with a late goal on the break before Grehan sealed it in stoppage time.

Few other points though

1. Paul McHale's attempted assault on Liam Buchanan was a ******* disgrace.

2. We looked pretty solid at the back a few odd shaky problems but Kinniburgh and Archie done alright.

3. Chris Erskine was really impressive today along with Paul Cairney, probably say Erskine was MOTM for me

4. First time seeing Fox and was impressed enough, although he didn't have too much to trouble him today.

Take it ur not a Donnelly fan then? Seeing as ur trying as hard as possible to give no credit whatsoever for anything. His goal was a brilliant finish and his ball through to Boyle was absolutely class for the third. Im not a Donnelly raver and I dont think he should be starting for us but credit where credit is due IMVHO.

Team played some nice stuff at times and I thought it was an entertaining game especially in the second half. After they scored the game completely opened up. Really pleased we got the result that was necessary! Just hope we get a good draw in the next round.

Mon Ra Jags!!!!

I was telling as it was, I'm by no means a Donnelly hater & see what he brings to the team. The pass to Boyle was very good, but it did only come about as no other pass was on.

Also a good finish, but a chance that our strikers should take, but so often don't.

Albion contributed to their own undoing by going for it and stretching the game, with both our later goals coming from breaks. Nice to see another team take a sucker punch or two for once.

I really hope we can take some confidence from this. If Albion's second chance in two minutes had gone in and we had gone behind... :(

Nothing like trying to knock someone down whos on a high eh :thumbdown:

....he gets a hard time on here for his tactics......made same change last week and got slaughtered.

Takes off Buckie and Dools, puts on Sid and Grehan....both score and we're in next round.

Well done Corkie. Well done Sid n Grehan.........WELL DONE JAGS !

I wasn't there today, but the difference from last week is that Buchanan and Grehan were our only two central forwards, and taking them both off left us going nowhere. With Doolan available this week, bringing Grehan on today at least meant we had somebody central forwardish, I assume.

This is me supposing a lot about what the tactics were today, but last week I thought it was a crazy move. In fact everybody in our wee group, about 7 or 8 of us, were looking at each other, saying "what the feck is he doing?" and shaking our heads. Let's not get started on Erskine either.

So delighted we won today. We could do with a wee cup run, and/or a money spinner at some point.

Liam Buchanan is a major concern. We really miss his goals from previous seasons. Perhaps he deserves his own thread, as in, Is Liam finished?

Donnelly made the difference when he came on - we'd dominated possession, but to no great effect, and I suspect Sid was brought on to do his usual d*cking about to hold up the game. Scored the decisive second goal and created the third while attempting to d*ck about. Pretty good.

Overall, a good aggressive performance from the whole team, but I'll give a special mention to Cairney, who has been a total passenger this season - until today when he suddenly rediscovered why he was so good last season. Thanks Paul!

And a wee mention for Kinniburgh, who managed not to get booked today and looked pretty solid to me. Considering it was a 'makeshift' defence, I can live with it...

Thought it was a deserved win that could have been perhaps a bit more convincing. We looked no bad in the first half, getting forward with some slick passing and moving. Erskine impressing the most throughout.

Into the second half and Stirling came back into it a wee bit before Cairney's drive gave us the lead looked relatively comfortable until we ineexplicably allowed Smith to score against us again and were very lucky not to be 2-1 down when Comvalius (?) hit the post with an effort almost identical to Smith's.

Donnelly put us back in front with a late goal on the break before Grehan sealed it in stoppage time.

Few other points though

1. Paul McHale's attempted assault on Liam Buchanan was a ******* disgrace.

2. We looked pretty solid at the back a few odd shaky problems but Kinniburgh and Archie done alright.

3. Chris Erskine was really impressive today along with Paul Cairney, probably say Erskine was MOTM for me

4. First time seeing Fox and was impressed enough, although he didn't have too much to trouble him today.

:o Surely that's a wind up?

btw I agree with everything else. I don't think McHale was even spoken to by the ref.