Player/team Of The Decade?

1 John Lambie

2011 has been said to be the start of a new decade, I would say 2010 would have been that, but looks like I'm wrong!

Had the idea that the club could have a vote involving the fans to decide upon the best players of the last decade, making a best team & also the overall best player. These players could then receive some sort of momento at an event hosted at Firhill. Make tickets affordable to the ordinary fan, say £20, make it a fun night with fans & ex/current players getting a chance to chat etc. Helps raise funds for the club & also gives recognition to players who played for us for years, or who made a vital contribution over a shorter period. For me, if there's enough fan interest, it's a win win event.

Possible players: Arthur, Craigan, Paterson, Archibald, Lennon, Roberts etc etc.

Just an idea that I came up with the other night trying to get to sleep.

In fact, f*ck it. It isn't something we need the club's approval for or help with. It could be arranged as the wearethistle player of the decade night with all proceeds donated to the relevant party once it's complete. Let's take fundraising into our own hands. Screw the JT, screw anyone else.

In fact, f*ck it. It isn't something we need the club's approval for or help with. It could be arranged as the wearethistle player of the decade night with all proceeds donated to the relevant party once it's complete. Let's take fundraising into our own hands. Screw the JT, screw anyone else.

Finally, something we agree 100% on.

I think this is a great idea and something we (the fans) should be capable of organising. I'd certainly back it.

I'd be willing to get involved. Venue hire, etc. shouldn't be too difficult. I remember a documentary/Q&A night at the CCA a few years back. I'm sure the lad who organised that could give us tips.

It shouldn't be too hard to track down/communicate with players in the social media age, either.

Should be easy enough to run a poll from here, too.

Possible partnership with the Harry Wraggs site? It recently ran an interview with Kenny Arthur. Obvious contacts there.

I'd be happy to discuss this with 1JL at a future game, all internet personas dropped, of course. ;)

I'd be willing to get involved. Venue hire, etc. shouldn't be too difficult. I remember a documentary/Q&A night at the CCA a few years back. I'm sure the lad who organised that could give us tips.

It shouldn't be too hard to track down/communicate with players in the social media age, either.

Should be easy enough to run a poll from here, too.

Possible partnership with the Harry Wraggs site? It recently ran an interview with Kenny Arthur. Obvious contacts there.

I'd be happy to discuss this with 1JL at a future game, all internet personas dropped, of course. ;)

Happy to chat about it & I'm easy to find, I work at the Aitken Suite main door every home game from half 12 to 3.

It is something I think should be put to the directors who are there on the 19th, if they are not interested then it's full steam ahead. If they are, then hopefully something can be arranged soon after with fans, with support from the club, working together to make the club as much money as possible out of it.

If it lasted from the beginning of 2000 until the end of 2010 then it would be 11 years long. :P

It would, was meaning it doesn't have to be a set 'decade'. 2000-2010, 2001-2010. Doesn't really matter what it is, we can toss a coin to decide! :P The finer details can be decided on when it comes to voting for players, if it comes off, which hopefully it will.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

A decade is a period of 10 years. There was no year "zero" so 1 AD was the start of the decade and therefore after 10 years, a new decade would start - i.e. 11 AD.

So 1st Jan 2011 was indeed the start of the new decade IMO.

which was a big discussion at the time of the millenium!!! some said it should have started on 1st Jan 2001, not 2000

A decade is a period of 10 years. There was no year "zero" so 1 AD was the start of the decade and therefore after 10 years, a new decade would start - i.e. 11 AD.

So 1st Jan 2011 was indeed the start of the new decade IMO.

I think you'll find that, if you were around at the time, there was no year 1 either. At least, no-one referred to it as such. In fact, no-one used years AD until 525.

I doubt whether people at the time were that particular about recording exactly which year it was, and the calendar has been messed about with so much in the intervening years. Common consensus is that Jesus was actually born in 7BC, based on the star of Bethlehem being the triple conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter in Pisces.

It's one of those etymology versus usage arguments but, IMO, the "Nineties" was a decade and it started in 1990, not 1991.

Was there not a Year Zero in Cambodia or Vietnam or China or somewhere like that ?

Ferguslie Park.

This does seem like an interesting idea, so here are a few (probably unconnected) thoughts: it has to be Gerry Britton. Also, April 16th is the 90th anniversary of the 1921 cup win. This year is, as far as I am aware, the centenary of the creation of the Alec Raisbeck banner. Has it been flung out of the club with all the sensible people? Is it still around?

God knows, we need a knees up. We can't kick our own arses in the league and haven't had any miracles since 2001/2002 so it's time. Cup run anyone?

btw I like the April 16th idea. A Saturday but we're at home that day.

As do I. Perhaps track down and invite a living relative of the 1921 team to present our 'player of the decade' with a memento?

The only problem with a Saturday is that many of the guys who are likely to make that 'team of the decade' are still likely to be involved in football which may be a barrier to their attendance.

There are a few worthy nominees for such an award:

Arthur, Craigan, Archie, Trigger, Hardie, Roberts...arguable the most skillful player of the last decade was Peter Lindau. Who can forget his hat trick at forthbank the day we clinched promotion...his twist and turn for his 3rd was soo good, the entire albion defence had to pay to gain re entry back into the stadium.

For me , however, there is clearly one winner. I've argued on other threads that he should be inducted into the hall of fame next time around. For me he was the catalyst for all the joy we experienced with 2 league titles, cup run to the semi's and survival in the SPL. It was a hard time at Firhill after Save The Jags and relegation to the 2nd. Lambie did take a while to get it right following Bryce's time at Firhill. Probably got more time than he would normally have got and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking at the time that the misery would never end. Then he signed this man and everything turned to gold.....or silverware. He was the driving force behind the happiest times i've had as a Jags man.

Player of the decade............SUPER DANNY LENNON.