Thistle's Most Expensive

Chicofan

Murdoch's the one that's always mentioned but I don't think that takes in swap or part exchange deals where a player signed might have been valued higher.

Besides these things are a bit daft when you take inflation into account. For instance by my extremely accurate price of a pint then/now scale a player bought in the late sixties for £1000 would be the equivalent by the time Tennents stick their prices up next month of £30,000 in today's terms.

Mind you if we bought the same player on my ever so accurate price of a hauf then/now scale we could probably get him for just below £15K.

:thinking: Think I sense a flaw with my drinks then/now indicator :unsure:

:)

We signed Rod McDonald for 100k if memory serves.

I have a hazy recollection of that being touted as our most expensive signing to date, but i can't be sure :thinking:

I think McDonald was originally quoted at 100K but was in reality only 30K. I think I read somewhere that the combined Murdoch/McLaughlin cost was 130K & we paid a few bob for Grant Tierney (again initial quotes were 100K but I think it was less) but I'm not sure who really was our most expensive signing. Maybe Tom will know?

I think McDonald was originally quoted at 100K but was in reality only 30K. I think I read somewhere that the combined Murdoch/McLaughlin cost was 130K & we paid a few bob for Grant Tierney (again initial quotes were 100K but I think it was less) but I'm not sure who really was our most expensive signing. Maybe Tom will know?

Ian Cameron.....1st time around ?

We signed Rod McDonald for 100k if memory serves.

I've got a Scotsport clip that backs that up. McDonald's debut

That's all I've heard though so Jaggy might be right.

Did Gerry Britton not also cost £100k from Celtic?

Yes, well so says Scotsport on a Celtic vs Thistle game I've got taped.

Ian Cameron.....1st time around ?

Ian Cameron cost £75,000. Only found this out a couple of days ago after finding this clip on youtube -

. Skip to just after 4 minutes.

christ i thought it was maybe a figment of my imagination..had forgotten about Rod McD and the others as well...the glory days eh!

Another one that springs to mind is Calum Campbell...sure he was 50k from Killie back in 89/90?? worth that alone for his fine head of hair :D

Edited to add : maybe getting mixed up with Gerry Mccoy here regarding the hair :P

Edited by Chicofan

Another one that springs to mind is Calum Campbell...sure he was 50k from Killie back in 89/90?? worth that alone for his fine head of hair :D

Edited to add : maybe getting mixed up with Gerry Mccoy here regarding the hair :P

No mix up. Calum Campbell was the one with the 'footballer perm'

As for most expensive signings, I'm sure we paid £130,000 for Murdoch and McGlaughlin. Think the highest individual fee was £100,000 for Gerreee.

I've got a Scotsport clip that backs that up. McDonald's debut

That's all I've heard though so Jaggy might be right.

Yes, well so says Scotsport on a Celtic vs Thistle game I've got taped.

Ian Cameron cost £75,000. Only found this out a couple of days ago after finding this clip on youtube -

. Skip to just after 4 minutes.

That's funny. I don't remember that 2-2 at all. I thought it was going to be that other Firhill 2-2 where Ian Ferguson (no, not THAT ugly H*n) scored a cracker for Motherwell that even had some of us in the shed applauding.

Wasn't it great to see so many fans packed in behind both goals?

These things are diffuclt to know for sure. It was a combined fee for both Murdoch and McLaughlin as Jaggy mentions, so it's hard, if not impossible, to figure how much we paid for each player.

Quite often too transfers were given as being "deals worth £x" which included the transfer fee, signing on fee and wages. Doubtful that the transfer fee for Tierney was £100,000 but the "deal" might have been.

I think it unlikely that we have paid a £100,000 transfer fee for any player and the Murdoch £85,000 fee is probably not far off the mark.

can only remember the king of spain costing £100k.

My memory - which is admittedly very flaky - tells me we didn't pay that for him (he was after all a reserve/youth player for Celtic when we signed him) but I think it was reported we paid £100K for Britton and some one else combined. Think it may have been Cameron from Aberdeen - obviously not the same deal as different clubs. I think we signed them very close together so the figure for the two combined was quoted (always sounds good in the papers if you can quote a £100K figure).

Jim Slavin cost £100k too.

cost us prob double when you take into account the costs involved to feed him !!!

Not our most expensive signing, but the most expensive to get rid of was most likely that bunnet wearing fife fud d*ck c*mpb*ll. :mad2:

Was he not part of a double-deal with us getting Ray Farningham as well?

My memory is either playing the same trick, or you are right, Irons and Farningham was a double signing.

Rod McD was definitely reported as costing £100k at the time.

When was it we bought him and where did he come from (my memory thinks 1992 and Grimsby)? Was he also the first coloured player for Thistle?

I remember as a wee guy and being absolutely in awe of him, great player.