The Turning Point

Jaggy1967

The obvious answer would be the keeper. But as a team game one man cannot take all the credit for the teams change of fortune. I have been very critical of McCall over the last 12 months like most people for many reasons from tactics to substitutions etc, but credit where it is due Mr McCall you have this team ticking like promotion contenders.

What really has changed ? or is this another false dawn where in 4 or 5 games we are back to square 1. I just wish the season could be started again !

Fox between the sticks and Rowson in the engine room. That's the difference.

Rowser has always given 110 % imho . Any game he doesn't play well is down to the law of averages.

Confidence seems to be the key to our success. And that is coming from the confidence Scott Fox gives the team.

I would agree that Scott Fox has made a massive difference - it was essential that we signed him, and signed him for a few seasons and not just 'til the end of this one.

However, we have not just gained confidence at the back, but up front as well. Today I thought we were going to create a scoring chance everytime we broke forward - it was great to see.

The whole team is playing with a new confidence and has been since the Stirling away game - it'll be interesting to hear McCalls thoughts on what has caused this change, next week.

I think I'd be right in saying Fox has only lost 4 goals from open play in 10 matches. Yet in all those games I can't remember that many exceptional saves. So I'd put the turn around down to an overall increased confidence within the defence as a whole. While that's got to be down to Fox in part I don't remember Halliwell getting slated week in week out in the games gone before.

My own opinion is that coupled with our scoring difficulties our largely experienced central defenders were off the boil too often earlier in the season.

I think I'd be right in saying Fox has only lost 4 goals from open play in 10 matches. Yet in all those games I can't remember that many exceptional saves. So I'd put the turn around down to an overall increased confidence within the defence as a whole. While that's got to be down to Fox in part I don't remember Halliwell getting slated week in week out in the games gone before.

My own opinion is that coupled with our scoring difficulties our largely experienced central defenders were off the boil too often earlier in the season.

Fair comment but defenders must have confidence in the keeper. If they don't, their positioning is affected as they try to cover for the keeper's inadequacies.

May be Stirling away was or could be our turning point. For a number of reasons. Performance was shocking that day, well documented in the past, that the fans fell out with each other....there was a change in attitudes from us fans after that game and a coming together from the team. I hated that match for well documented reasons but on looking back may be just maybe some good came out of it.

Fair comment but defenders must have confidence in the keeper. If they don't, their positioning is affected as they try to cover for the keeper's inadequacies.

True.

What I was really saying is that I feel it's over simplistic to blame Halliwell for all our sins and praise Fox for all our glories. Granted the difference between the keepers is like night and day but there's more to our change of fortunes than just between the sticks.

The obvious answer would be the keeper. But as a team game one man cannot take all the credit for the teams change of fortune. I have been very critical of McCall over the last 12 months like most people for many reasons from tactics to substitutions etc, but credit where it is due Mr McCall you have this team ticking like promotion contenders.

What really has changed ? or is this another false dawn where in 4 or 5 games we are back to square 1. I just wish the season could be started again !

CONFIDENCE and BELIEF and for me McCall has to have a lot of the credit!! Also it was him who opted for Fox, so come on guys give him a little credit he is working well at moment and we are hopefully pushing on now.

The central spine of the team has all hit form.Fox,archie's return to form,Rowser's energy and a forward in Doolahn that looks like he can score.

I'd also say ,without doubt, Paton has vastly improved.Earlier in the season I dont think I had ever seen a player give the ball back to the opposition as much as he did but now he has cut out the pointless punt into the box from fifty yard outs.

Good teams are always built on a solid defence and at the moment ours is rock solid.

Well done to the coaches for the individual improvment in some players.

The central spine of the team has all hit form.Fox,archie's return to form,Rowser's energy and a forward in Doolahn that looks like he can score.

I'd also say ,without doubt, Paton has vastly improved.Earlier in the season I dont think I had ever seen a player give the ball back to the opposition as much as he did but now he has cut out the pointless punt into the box from fifty yard outs.

Good teams are always built on a solid defence and at the moment ours is rock solid.

Well done to the coaches for the individual improvment in some players.

Craig Hinchcliffe is always getting praised by McCall and other keepers for his coaching work.

Maybe Maxi and/or MacNamara are also doing the right things too.

That's it in a nutshell for me. With Halliwell between the sticks the defence did not know where to be or what to do as they had no idea what he was gonna do. Fox commands the box like a goalie should... simple, but very effective and crucial to a strong backline.