Mtm Entrance Discussion

Le Chic

For a start, the event wasn't clearly stated to be a members-only night. If non-members weren't welcome then a simple "members-only" line would have saved a few people, myself included, a wasted trip. What it said was it was free to members and non-members could sign up on the night. Still no statement that it was not open to non-members to attend and pay a donation.

Are you on the wind up?

It stated it was for members, it stated if you are not a memeber, become a member and you can get in.

Where did it state non members can make a donation?

:wall:

The fact they feel they are in the position to reject extra money outwith membership fees is laughable. We were willing to pay a fiver a head for entry plus 30 or 40 quid at the bar. But apparently that isn't enough.

It has bugger all to do with finance. It's about the fact this shower of imbeciles masquerade as a representative supporters body. I would have rather set fire to a tenner than hand it over to that torn-faced hag who, incidentally, should be nowhere near the Trust.

Why not pay an extra fiver to get in and spend a fiver less at the bar, each?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what i was trying to say but didn't appear to do it very well. Why not offer £10 quid gesture, put whatever address and contact details they wanted on the form. Enter the night , enjoy it, spend money at the bar and go home , happy. After all, they had clearly made the effort to get there...and having driven from B'Briggs to Port glasgow tonight, i know any driving tonight would have been a struggle.

Just didn't seem worth the disappointment of not getting in over 5 quid a head.

It also didn't seem worth the refusal of a donation of double from Jags fans that would've found it's way to the club for merely not wanting to be a part of a tinpot organisation, whether they were the hosts or not. The Jags Trust is feck all without the club.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Etray was firing out tweets from the meeting until drink got the better of him and it sounded like a good night with the manager back in his pomp again.

Re an incident mentioned above: I don't remember it, but will probably be up on a disciplinary now. :(

It's not always a barrel of laughs being on the Trust Board. I just can't see the point in anyone putting themselves through all that so they can go home at the end of the night and say, "Hey, at least we kept those guys out." Take their fivers, get them in the hall and you're maybe halfway there to signing them up. Shove the forms under their noses on the way out when they're all liquored up and their defences are down. And if they still won't join...really, what harm has been done to anyone? Sometimes we need to just loosen up and remember what we're doing here - football, pints, banter.

can't argue with that DU. But the fact remains, this was an event organised for the Trust, for Trust members.

If it was advertised that non members could attend, if they paid £5, there wouldn't be an issue.

Fact is, if you become a member, then you would seem to have access to exclusive events.

Really don't see the issue here at all. Apart from the fact that a couple of folk decided to chance it. Even though the event was clearly advertised as members only.

First time I have ever attended such an event and I really enjoyed it. Good questions, good answers but never won a prize in the raffle!

I did - had the choice of a bottle of white wine, a bottle of white wine or, alternatively, a bottle of white wine. I went for the white wine!!

Re attendance, I'll demonstrate my credentials as a good liberal (is there such a thing these days?) by saying that everyone has a valid point. I do think the pre-publicity could have been a bit more explicit but I certainly read it as being a members-only event. I don't particularly agree with this for something like the Meet The Manager night and would prefer a preferential pricing policy so that everyone can be included.

There are many reasons good, bad and indifferent why people may not want to join the Trust. But joining solely to get into an otherwise mainstream event is not one of them. (Had it been something which was more limited in numbers then that would be more appropriate but tonight wasn't such an occasion).

Also doesn't exclude a bit of give and take on what was a shitty night. The end result is simply more bad publicity about the Trust. (But remember that if you want to change things, then you need to join and/or get off your asses and stand. It really is that easy.)

Are you on the wind up?

It stated it was for members, it stated if you are not a memeber, become a member and you can get in.

Where did it state non members can make a donation?

:wall:

Why not pay an extra fiver to get in and spend a fiver less at the bar, each?

Show me where it is stated it is for members-only. The message on the website says:

"This event is free for members – and if you are not yet a member feel free to join up on the night!"

I've never claimed that it said non-members could make a donation. What I did say is it didn't specify specifically that non-members weren't welcome. There was enough dubiety to think non-members might be welcome and not bluntly refused entry.

I'm not even going to answer your other point because you know fine well that my refusal to pay the joining fee is nothing to do with money.

Edited by Armand2

I did - had the choice of a bottle of white wine, a bottle of white wine or, alternatively, a bottle of white wine. I went for the white wine!!

Re attendance, I'll demonstrate my credentials as a good liberal (is there such a thing these days?) by saying that everyone has a valid point. I do think the pre-publicity could have been a bit more explicit but I certainly read it as being a members-only event. I don't particularly agree with this for something like the Meet The Manager night and would prefer a preferential pricing policy so that everyone can be included.

There are many reasons good, bad and indifferent why people may not want to join the Trust. But joining solely to get into an otherwise mainstream event is not one of them. (Had it been something which was more limited in numbers then that would be more appropriate but tonight wasn't such an occasion).

Also doesn't exclude a bit of give and take on what was a shitty night. The end result is simply more bad publicity about the Trust. (But remember that if you want to change things, then you need to join and/or get off your asses and stand. It really is that easy.)

Cant argue with much of that tbh.

Instead of getting four times £5... they got nothing.

and yet half an hour later:

An extra £50 in the trust coffers with no extra admin involved seems a no brainer to me.

Are you exagerating for effect?

Was there 4 or 10 of you?

*top quoted edited to remove any money the club would have got.

Show me where it is stated it is for members-only. The message on the website says:

"This event is free for members – and if you are not yet a member feel free to join up on the night!"

I've never claimed that it said non-members could make a donation. What I did say is it didn't specify specifically that non-members weren't welcome. There was enough dubiety to think non-members might be welcome and not bluntly refused entry.

I'm not even going to answer your other point because you know fine well that my refusal to pay the joining fee is nothing to do with money,

Say, yeah, you totally got it wrong and mis-read the blooming obvious.

What would you have done if the trust determined the donation rate, instead of you?

And they suggested the donation be £10?

What if every non member decides, yeah I'll go, and make a donation... I'll donate a pound?

Where does it state non members can make a donation of their deciding?

Edited by potty trained

say, yeah, you total got it wrong and mis read the blooming obvious.

What would you have done if the trust determined the donation rate, instead of you?

And they suggested the donation be £10?

What if every non member decides, yeah I'll go, and make a donation... I'll donate a pound?

Look, mate, your obviously the one at the wind up. It wasn't obvious, considering previous "Meet the Manager" nights, organised by the Trust, allowed entry to non-members. If they were so dead set against letting non-members in then you would have thought they would have made it clear in no uncertain terms. But they didn't. The whole approach to the situation was unprofessional and typifies the Jags Trust.

Then they would have made extra money, irrelevant of how big the donation was. :blink:

Edited by Armand2

This to me isn't about the was it/wasn't it clear. The point is the luvvies in charge of the JT deemed fit to turn away Jags fan and Jags fans money that would have went to the club and the possibility of people coming away from it thinking, 'You know what I'm gonna joint that Jags Trust as that was a right good night'. It sums it up.

If the four/five folk had trundled in on the NW bus for the night would they have been dismissed at the door?

Edited by Vom Itorium

Like Allan I assumed it to be a members only event. Imo we need a supporters association (whether it's called the Jags Trust or whatever is of less importance) and one good way of generating interest in a fans organisation is to offer its members exclusive events. So I see nothing wrong in a members only night.

That said however I think it is a bit petty to not accommodate bona fide fans if they come along under a genuine misapprehension. Anyway it seems to be the Thistle way these days, whether in the boardroom, amongst shareholders or amongst fans to make what should be something uncomplicated unfathomably complex.

This to me isn't about the was it/wasn't it clear. The point is the luvvies in charge of the JT deemed fit to turn away Jags fan and Jags fans money that would have went to the club and the possibility of people coming away from it thinking, 'You know what I'm gonna joint that Jags Trust as that was a right good night'. It sums it up.

If the four/five folk had trundled in on the NW bus for the night would they have been dismissed at the door?

Then the issue is, and the one the Trust has learned from, is that members get in free... non members make a £5 (half membership fee) as a donation?

I can bet, every member of the NW bus is a member. And if not, they would be embarressed by the JTB into becoming members tonight.

Then the issue is, and the one the Trust has learned from, is that members get in free... non members make a £5 (half membership fee) as a donation?

I can bet, every member of the NW bus is a member. And if not, they would be embarressed by the JTB into becoming members tonight.

But will they learn from it or are they so pig-headed, like we've seen over other issues, that it's their way or the highway?

The fans need an organisation. The Jags Trust is not it, it's had it's chance on numerous occasions and is, at this point, back to where it all started when it was found out to be the initial sham. It is a deid duck.

Edited by Vom Itorium

I covered it in my previous post. Who's misreading stuff now?

Tonight I read the initial post about you all not getting in and.....well being honest I just thought, ya bunch of chancers. Now, as the tiredness sets in and reading some of your comments again, I've came to the opinion, yeah you were still chancers, but what harm were you doing. You were willing to give a donation, take part in the event and spend some more money at the bar, thus giving the club more money. I still think it was clear enough that you got in if you were a member but yeah, a little common sense could have prevailed and you all could have got in for a fiver each.

May be if future events are held , the trust can see fit to advertise that members get in free and non members will get in with a £5.00 donation on the night.

When all is said and done, if someone had said to McCall Maxy and Hinchy that there were 4 non members at the door willing to pay a fiver to get in, would they be ok with that , bet they would have said yes.

Tonight I read the initial post about you all not getting in and.....well being honest I just thought, ya bunch of chancers. Now, as the tiredness sets in and reading some of your comments again, I've came to the opinion, yeah you were still chancers, but what harm were you doing. You were willing to give a donation, take part in the event and spend some more money at the bar, thus giving the club more money. I still think it was clear enough that you got in if you were a member but yeah, a little common sense could have prevailed and you all could have got in for a fiver each.

May be if future events are held , the trust can see fit to advertise that members get in free and non members will get in with a £5.00 donation on the night.

When all is said and done, if someone had said to McCall Maxy and Hinchy that there were 4 non members at the door willing to pay a fiver to get in, would they be ok with that , bet they would have said yes.

Glad you can see our point of view. Perhaps we were a little "chancy" but we were merely going on previous experiences at "Meet the Manager" nights where non-members were allowed entry for a donation.

It's the self righteousness of the JT board members, two in particular, that irritates me. Had a more reasoned board member been overseeing entry, this whole debacle could have been avoided. But the sheer pig headedness of the individual on the door tonight has made an issue of something that really should have been a formality.

Armand2 and Le Chic. You are heroes. You are carrying on the protests of Tunisia and Egypt right to Maryhill. I salute your indefatigability. You have made your self righteous point whatever it was and managed to annoy people trying to do their best for the club. I salute you. What's your next token act? Self immolation on the bing?

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

Armand2 and Le Chic. You are heroes. You are carrying on the protests of Tunisia and Egypt right to Maryhill. I salute your indefatigability. You have made your self righteous point whatever it was and managed to annoy people trying to do their best for the club. I salute you. What's your next token act? Self immolation on the bing?

:thumbsup2:

What a fuss...

FWIW I think these events should be open to non-members as for reasons explained above they're willing to put a bit of cash in the coffers and with a friendly involving atmosphere (and a bit of inebriation) you might persuade people to join the Trust.

Certainly the MTM at The Goat this time last season the Trust let non-members get a ticket (we had a more limited capacity...) for a pretty nominal sum of £2 and members got tickets free, keeping an incentive for members whilst not excluding those who just want to go along to the event.

On much more important matters, I'd love to see BMMMH back. It's just a shame we won't have him tied up for the game on Saturday as that would really give the tie a bit more grit to it.