Pttv: Queen Of The South Highlights

fritzy

Having just seen the Grehan booking for the first time, that Ref ought to be demoted to the Amateurs. Ridiculous decision.

Most ridiculous booking I've ever seen I think. Yet he didn't book Johnston for going to the Queens fans and slapping hands with them. Would also have been a ridiculous decision but at least it would have been consistent.

It's an incredible decision. I really thought there had to be something more to it. Clown of a ref :thumbdown:

The only thing I can see having just watched it is that, not really seeing what he's doing due to the shirt over his head, he runs towards some QoS fans as he celebrates. But even so there's only a handful there and he stops celebrating well before he gets near them. Really didn't require more than a word in the ear as he obviously wasn't within a mile of trying to wind anyone up.

The only thing I can see having just watched it is that, not really seeing what he's doing due to the shirt over his head, he runs towards some QoS fans as he celebrates. But even so there's only a handful there and he stops celebrating well before he gets near them. Really didn't require more than a word in the ear as he obviously wasn't within a mile of trying to wind anyone up.

In the big picture the Grehan booking is hardly likely to affect us (I believe it's only his second this season). What it does do is highlight the incompetence of a referee. He surely can only book a player if he clearly sees an action worthy of a yellow card (or his linesman sees similar). I can understand and have sympathy for a ref booking a player he deems to have brought down an opponent recklessly and the player actually got to the ball. That's usually just down to plain human error.

In this case the referee could only have surmised Grehan had done something (still not a clue what) that if clearly seen would warrant a booking. He must then have given Grehan a yellow card based only on guesswork. How can you have respect for a referee that bases a decision on guesswork?

I know I'm sounding off a bit like Neil Lennon but we were probably lucky to come away with even one point. Had that clown of a ref not seen yon Queens player (Quinn?) take a dive he'd probably have guessed he was tripped and guessed he was in the box and awarded a penalty.

On the other hand regardless of what Rowser says I thought both he and Paton rather stupid getting booked the other night for arguing. Think they're now both on 5 yellows apiece. Given that they're effectively automatic choices in the team they're bound to pick up further bookings. Don't know what the threshold is but silly yellows like the other night won't help avoid suspensions later in the season.

I'm not sure he missed or partially the incident, but I have a feeling he doesn't understand it. It is my understanding that the rule regarding taking your shirt off during a goal celebration is to ensure that when fans/photographers (or at higher levels tv cameras) will be focussing on the player who has scored, and sponsors won't be very happy to see the logo they've paid lot's of money for not in the picture. The rule is plainly ridiculous at our level, and the referee doesn't understand the difference between a bit of shirt lifting (ooh er) and taking the shirt off.

I think the rules state putting the top over your head is a booking.

The ref really should have ignored it.

also if you attempt to remove your shirt, which the ref may have thought Grehan was doing.

Still ridiculous though. However, it happens to everyone as a couple of weeks ago wee Lio Messi gotr a booking for revealing a shirt wishing his mum a happy birthday.

It is my understanding that the rule regarding taking your shirt off during a goal celebration is to ensure that when fans/photographers (or at higher levels tv cameras) will be focussing on the player who has scored, and sponsors won't be very happy to see the logo they've paid lot's of money for not in the picture.

Are you sure thats why the rule was put in place?

To ensure sponsors get full visibility at all times? :blink: