Shortfall Met?

Third Lanark

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Glaswegian carries as interview with David Beattie which states the 100,000pounds shortfall for this season has been met:

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2011/02/16/partick-thistle-directors-plug-100k-hole-to-secure-future-for-now-102692-22927765/

Aargh...... he's used the "c" word :o

Well done if that's the case and it is certainly a more positive and proactive of dealing with the finances than has been the case for years.

We all await the details of these initiatives, although I do cringe that "engaging the fans"

is mentioned in the same breath as "marketing"

Let us buy shares in the club, David. Make it possible on a one-off or regular basis. And make it genuinely affordable for the great majority of us. I'd make a regular commitment on that basis. And I might even yet spend a penny or two on whatever this marketing group comes up with.

"Jags fans will be asked to dip into their pockets in the months ahead to stave off part-time football and Beattie is adamant everyone has a part to play."

A bizarre comment as I would assume that Cairney, Grehan, Fox, Kinniburgh, Erskine, Doolan, Campbell, Fraser and Scully are on the full-time contracts for next season.

Edited by kni

Just to check I'm clear on this...

The former financial director will have overseen the budget that was set for this season and his fellow directors will have approved it. Only a couple of months into the season, he resigns and they tell us their numbers are a whopping £100,000 adrift. Only a couple of months later, they tell us they've plugged that hole and are back on track. In the meantime, they dish out a clutch of full-time contracts for next season and beyond. Then they say the fans will have to dig deep to stop us going part-time.

Huh?!

The former financial director will have overseen the budget that was set for this season and his fellow directors will have approved it. Only a couple of months into the season, he resigns and they tell us their numbers are a whopping £100,000 adrift. Only a couple of months later, they tell us they've plugged that hole and are back on track. In the meantime, they dish out a clutch of full-time contracts for next season and beyond. Then they say the fans will have to dig deep to stop us going part-time.

Huh?!

McCall said at the MTMN that part-time football was not on the agenda, not at the moment anyway. It had been mentioned, but not in any serious way.

Huh?!

A very astute summary I'd say.

If straightforward answers were given to the obvious questions posed by DU's post, it would go a long way to restoring some kind of confidence (or at least credibility)in the BoD.

Not holding my breath right enough.......

McCall said at the MTMN that part-time football was not on the agenda, not at the moment anyway. It had been mentioned, but not in any serious way.

I guess it isn't if everyone already has full-time deals. But maybe the "acting chairman" should be careful to make that clear when he speaks to the papers about cash problems and fans digging deep. Although I'm sure the journalist will be blamed, as usual, for putting words in that he never said.

He says we know what we have to spend next season, but any money the fans raise will be for the playing budget. So we clearly don't know what we have to spend on the most crucial element of the club.

Nothing ever really hangs together with these half-baked statements they give out.

A very astute summary I'd say.

If straightforward answers were given to the obvious questions posed by DU's post, it would go a long way to restoring some kind of confidence (or at least credibility)in the BoD.

Not holding my breath right enough.......

Agreed.

In meantime, we shall no doubt continue with the Smoke and Mirrors.

This quote is the bottom line as far as Im concerned, it's the way it should be and how I would have expected it to be in the years preceeding this one...

"We know what our budget is and once we take off the cost of running the club and everything that goes with that it leaves a number. That number is the playing budget.

...but the questions are...What is that 'number' after these costs are deducted? How much would reasonably be needed for the playing budget? = How much we're talking about raising for the playing budget. So how are we intending to raise it? Other than Allan Heron's suggestion, I can't see any other way outwith increased fundraising.

Would be interested in hearing the answers to DU's questions too.

I guess it isn't if everyone already has full-time deals. But maybe the "acting chairman" should be careful to make that clear when he speaks to the papers about cash problems and fans digging deep. Although I'm sure the journalist will be blamed, as usual, for putting words in that he never said.

He says we know what we have to spend next season, but any money the fans raise will be for the playing budget. So we clearly don't know what we have to spend on the most crucial element of the club.

Nothing ever really hangs together with these half-baked statements they give out.

There's nothing in The Glaswegian article that is any different from what was said by David Beattie on Jan 19 (see here for more) other than to announce that now it's the fans turn to find some cash.

So it looks like we now have to go out to our contacts and ask for money. My hairdresser will be delighted to stump up the tip that I give her every six weeks.

Well it could be said that they have a budget set, on current income & expenditure, if income rises then whatever money does comes in goes towards the playing budget.

In meantime, we shall no doubt continue with the Smoke and Mirrors.

The time is now for the smoke to clear and the mirrors to reflect the truth of what has been happening with our budgets/actuals over the past 4-5 years.

It's great that DB acknowledges that the Directors are simply custodians of PTFC. Custodians usually take great care and attention over what they are looking after. Us fans expect nothing less.

The sooner the shadowy figure is made to accept he is was simply a custodian, then the sooner he might get out of the Firhill Boardroom, leave gracefully, let the accounts be opened, then hand back his our shares. Go on Impecunious, are you morally and ethically strong enough to walk away now and recognise your time is up ?

Edited by sandy

Well it could be said that they have a budget set, on current income & expenditure, if income rises then whatever money does comes in goes towards the playing budget.

But by signing a fair number of players already for next season, hasn't a large part of that budget been spent...without having any idea what it's actually going to be. I imagine the pitch will be that every penny you raise goes towards players. That's the emotional heartstring to tug at with the fans, as opposed to saying it pays off the taxman.

The (tiny wee) cynical part of me says the real message they want to put out here is that they have done everything possible to cover all the other costs at the club and if we have a shit team with no new signings next year it's nobody's fault but the fans. And while there might be an element of truth to that, there's also a huge dose of self-serving, buck-passing bollocks as well.

But by signing a fair number of players already for next season, hasn't a large part of that budget been spent...without having any idea what it's actually going to be. I imagine the pitch will be that every penny you raise goes towards players. That's the emotional heartstring to tug at with the fans, as opposed to saying it pays off the taxman.

The (tiny wee) cynical part of me says the real message they want to put out here is that they have done everything possible to cover all the other costs at the club and if we have a shit team with no new signings next year it's nobody's fault but the fans. And while there might be an element of truth to that, there's also a huge dose of self-serving, buck-passing bollocks as well.

Which will be part of the budget which has been set for next season, whether that is spent on new players in the summer or extending contracts now, is up to McCall how he wishes to use the budget.

On your 2nd point; Maybe you're right, but I think you're looking too deep.

Player budgets have always depended on things like season tickets. It’s the norm for a manager not to know his budget till income has been taken into account.

For the manager to sign these players on full-time contracts he must believe his budget will be enough to cover this. Same with the board.

I don’t have a problem with anything in the article, they may be a few unanswered questions but I don’t see anything unusual in that.

David Beattie does not mention anything about going part-time.

Yes he does - read my quote above from the Glaswegian article.

Why should the fans pay for the financial mismanagement of the BODs? It's up to the shareholders, who appoint the board, to sort out their mess.

Edited by kni

Yes he does - read my quote above from the Glaswegian article.

Why should the fans pay for the financial mismanagement of the BODs? It's up to the shareholders, who appoint the board, to sort out their mess.

The Glaswegian journalist mentions part time football, where does Beattie say anything about it?

"Believe" and "budget", two words that do not naturally go with Mr Beattie's words in the article...

"There was a £100,000 hole"

Personally, I don't have faith that the board of directors have set a sensible budget for next year because there is no sign that anything has changed. If there was a £100,000 "hole" this year, then surely there is the same in the pipeline for next year? Is the recession over? Are our crowds growing? Is there a new sponsor? All rhetorical questions for which I make no apology, because I "believe" that the current pattern of financial mismanagement is set to continue.

The time is now for the smoke to clear and the mirrors to reflect the truth of what has been happening with our budgets/actuals over the past 4-5 years.

It's great that DB acknowledges that the Directors are simply custodians of PTFC. Custodians usually take great care and attention over what they are looking after. Us fans expect nothing less.

The sooner the shadowy figure is made to accept he is was simply a custodian, then the sooner he might get out of the Firhill Boardroom, leave gracefully, let the accounts be opened, then hand back his our shares. Go on Impecunious, are you morally and ethically strong enough to walk away now and recognise your time is up ?

Singing from same hymn sheet, we are.

"Believe" and "budget", two words that do not naturally go with Mr Beattie's words in the article...

Personally, I don't have faith that the board of directors have set a sensible budget for next year because there is no sign that anything has changed. If there was a £100,000 "hole" this year, then surely there is the same in the pipeline for next year? Is the recession over? Are our crowds growing? Is there a new sponsor? All rhetorical questions for which I make no apology, because I "believe" that the current pattern of financial mismanagement is set to continue.

In complete agreement with Honved's post, in particular the emboldened parts.

I'm no accountant Honved, but presumably there are professional or advisory bodies out there who would be able to help the Club audit the books and provide impartial reassurance that financial management practices, including PropCo set-up processes, have been carried out soundly and ethically?

I have a mate who has talked about something called ICAS. Any accountancy experts out there who can shed light on what they do?