Shortfall Met?

Third Lanark

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get my head round this..... this 100k is a shortfall needed to allow us to run or to make us break even this year.

Survive. Just survive. Not reduce debt, not increase any budgets, just to make sure that we don't run out of cash to pay wages and the bills.

Think of it like this, the club credit card is maxed out and the repayments need made, but there's still food to be bought , the leccy to be paid for and the council tax too. In order to manage to do all of that, the "hole" of £100k needed plugged. The directors have tapped some of their mates, but are saying that they can't do that again.

Survive. Just survive. Not reduce debt, not increase any budgets, just to make sure that we don't run out of cash to pay wages and the bills.

Think of it like this, the club credit card is maxed out and the repayments need made, but there's still food to be bought , the leccy to be paid for and the council tax too. In order to manage to do all of that, the "hole" of £100k needed plugged. The directors have tapped some of their mates, but are saying that they can't do that again.

So yet again our financial guru has set a budget that is pure fantasy. Is he an accountant at his accounting firm or the cleaner

It very easy to say stick to a budget but very hard to actually do. We already have the lowest full-time budget in the league, sticking to budget means going part-time and that brings the very likely prospect of relegation.

Obviously. Since we have failed what five years running now?

It is not difficult; it might not be popular but its not difficult. I would take part time and relegation over having no club, and if they hadn't scrambled round to fill the cash hole that would be a very real prospect.

It is not difficult; it might not be popular but its not difficult. I would take part time and relegation over having no club, and if they hadn't scrambled round to fill the cash hole that would be a very real prospect.

ABSOLF***INLOOTELLEE!!!!!! Glad to see someone, like me, who means it when we sing, "Forever and ever, we'll follow the Jags..."

Much as it pains me I'm not a multi-millionaire businessman. Like most fans, the cash I 'find' will be paying for a luxury item such as 90 minutes of football or a fat bloke sized shirt. Many of us are struggling to get to games.

This is not about some bargain the directions have made up in their heads and daydreamed the fans into taking. "It's your turn" doesn't quite cut it. I realise the fans will have to turn out to improve the club's income and cash flow. I wonder if the board realises that, too.

There is no bargain, Thistle. You try and sell us crap football and crap merchandise we'll walk away. You sell us good football and good merchandise and you'll get more of us back. You can keep your covenant, thank you.

I'm used to crap fitba and also crap merch, though I think that's been mostly decent, and sometimes good recently. Either way I've not walked away.

I don't totally disagree with your overall point though. I'm just not walking away. In fact the recent troubles have encouraged me to come through the turnstiles more often.

sea change or revolution ?

I

Can't

Accept

Shoddy accountancy practices any longer

as my suited meercat butler says, Simples

:thinking: M'lady, you may have a very good point there. Neither can I put up with another financial year at Thistle where the FD lays out a plan and it fails.

Is that why the Club have been paying his firm a consultancy fee for services ? Does it get performance-enhanced if the budget fails to deliver sustainability ? Looks a bit like it from outside Firhill.

But I'm not sure what you mean by revolution...maybe we are back to the earlier thread about T-Rex ?! I'll go and ask Deborah

I'm used to crap fitba and also crap merch, though I think that's been mostly decent, and sometimes good recently. Either way I've not walked away.

I don't totally disagree with your overall point though. I'm just not walking away. In fact the recent troubles have encouraged me to come through the turnstiles more often.

Sadly, walking away is what a lot of people have been doing while the club's present captains have been on watch, pretty merchandise or not.

Part-time clubs are losing money as well.

To turn round such big loses in a difficult business is going to take time. We need to see if the current board can get us to break even. They seem to be making advances towards this.

You don't find it both hilarious and tragic that after flogging off half the stadium and after countless years of banging on the boardroom door saying give the fans a real, affordable and fair chance to buy into the club because we're the only source of funding that is in it for life, we've now got a hotshot marketing team who have concluded that some kind of pitch to the fans to invest might be the only way forward?

Maybe Tom Hughes can tell us why this wasn't an acceptable idea in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010, but now its time has come. Have they seen the light or just the dark abyss?

To turn round such big loses in a difficult business is going to take time. We need to see if the current board can get us to break even. They seem to be making advances towards this.

I don't think there's any evidence to support this progress.

We're covering the shortfall this year by an appeal to contacts of the board. All other things being equal that still leaves a gap for next year which will need to be covered either by being able to raise additional finance or limiting the playing budget.

And should the former be possiblr the question would then be if that was one off - if it was then we'd be in the same position the following year again.

To be honest, the challenges facing the club are no different. The approach by the board is different - we don't have a board budgetting for a loss as has happened before which is a small step in the right direction. But that shouldn't be mistaken for them being anywhere near making progress in resolving the financial dilemma.

Thats a different point.

We started the season aware that it was a difficult economic climate and aware that our budgets had been hopelessly optimistic for years. Our budgets were proven woefully inaccurate by October and a cash hole had arisen. Why did the assumptions not take greater account of the points you mention?

So yes this board may make welcome strides to move towards breakeven, but they still signed off budgets that were woefully inaccurate at the start of this season, budgets proven to be fundamentally flawed two months into the season. They were not budgeting for this cash crisis - it has been an emergency? Or are you saying they were budgeting for it, but just decided to wait two months before starting to think about doing someting about it? Either way, not encouraging.

jaf, norgethistle, yoda jag and others. We need a sea change

Indeed, but after years of drifting downriver how can a storm be whipped up to enable the transformation in which the form is retained but the substance is replaced?

All we have seen is bouts of huffing and puffing from various directions, which has created only the odd gust, and often backwards seeing the club edge closer towards the precipice.

Edited by yoda-jag