Partick Thistle Business Network

Mediocre Pundit

I'm the deputy manager of a flagship bank branch in the City Centre and part of my job is to "network" with, primarily, the small business community in order to build our brand and generate cross-referrals for ourselves from small business customers. All very standard fare I would imagine. Being reasonably new to this (I used to work in London where business tended to just walk in off the street) I've been googling business networks around Glasgow. I've found a few, but it got me thinking...

Has there ever been a proactive Partick Thistle Business Network? I always hear about how many of our fans are professionals (accountants (ahem), lawyers (ahem), self employed property developers (ahem ahem...) or tradesmen of any sort) I know we had the directory (Red and Yellow Pages?) a while ago but am too young to remember how this worked. Would there be an appetite for a business network, just like BNI etc... (although without the fees) for self employed/small firm Partick Thistle fans to come together, network, and refer business to each other? We all have one thing in common.

It's possible that this could benefit Thistle too - networking meetings held at Firhill, potential for entertaining clients at hospitality (albeit to be fair that may lose the business...) and bringing non-Thistle fans who may benefit into the group and potentially leading to them attending the odd game/utilising hospitality? The club could also link into the network for any potential services that it could use.

So, anyone got any idea of whether this has been tried before? If so, how did it go? And would anyone on here be interested in attending such a venture?

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

I'm the deputy manager of a flagship bank branch in the City Centre and part of my job is to "network" with, primarily, the small business community in order to build our brand and generate cross-referrals for ourselves from small business customers. All very standard fare I would imagine. Being reasonably new to this (I used to work in London where business tended to just walk in off the street) I've been googling business networks around Glasgow. I've found a few, but it got me thinking...

Has there ever been a proactive Partick Thistle Business Network? I always hear about how many of our fans are professionals (accountants (ahem), lawyers (ahem), self employed property developers (ahem ahem...) or tradesmen of any sort) I know we had the directory (Red and Yellow Pages?) a while ago but am too young to remember how this worked. Would there be an appetite for a business network, just like BNI etc... (although without the fees) for self employed/small firm Partick Thistle fans to come together, network, and refer business to each other? We all have one thing in common.

It's possible that this could benefit Thistle too - networking meetings held at Firhill, potential for entertaining clients at hospitality (albeit to be fair that may lose the business...) and bringing non-Thistle fans who may benefit into the group and potentially leading to them attending the odd game/utilising hospitality? The club could also link into the network for any potential services that it could use.

So, anyone got any idea of whether this has been tried before? If so, how did it go? And would anyone on here be interested in attending such a venture?

What bank ?

Edited by Jaggy1967

What bank ?

That depends. Are you wanting to make a complaint?

In seriousness, I'd rather not post it on the forum for all to see - don't want my opinion being in any way associated with my employer. If you have reasonable reason to want to know (aside from curiosity) PM me and I'm happy to have a chat.

That depends. Are you wanting to make a complaint?

In seriousness, I'd rather not post it on the forum for all to see - don't want my opinion being in any way associated with my employer. If you have reasonable reason to want to know (aside from curiosity) PM me and I'm happy to have a chat.

No complaints lol.

Guessing it must be B.O.S.

If not can't imagine our part owners allowing networking within Firhill !

Club is trying to push business connections like this I believe.

No complaints lol.

Guessing it must be B.O.S.

If not can't imagine our part owners allowing networking within Firhill !

Club is trying to push business connections like this I believe.

It's most certainly not BOS!

I wouldn't think the BoD would stop people from renting Firhill facilities for such an event purely because they represent a different bank from that which they use. Looking for some feedback from the forum though to see what's been done before and whether this would be worth suggesting to the BoD. I'd be happy to do the donkey work to see if I could get it set up if so.

It's most certainly not BOS!

I wouldn't think the BoD would stop people from renting Firhill facilities for such an event purely because they represent a different bank from that which they use. Looking for some feedback from the forum though to see what's been done before and whether this would be worth suggesting to the BoD. I'd be happy to do the donkey work to see if I could get it set up if so.

There is the business club and Allan Cowan is taking a leading role on this now that he's not on the board. I don't think that they've tried anything along these lines. You might want to contact him though

I know that Kieron had been looking to develop some networking amongst the community groups to leverage some use of the stadium but that effort has all now gone to waste, I think.

I'm always on the lookout for some networking opportunities. I work for a large insurance company dealing directly with SME customers for their business insurance.

I've been along to some BNI meetings which are OK and do give some good opportunities but the fees are quite high.

So if anything like you suggest were to start, I'd be happy to receive some details.

There is the business club and Allan Cowan is taking a leading role on this now that he's not on the board. I don't think that they've tried anything along these lines. You might want to contact him though

I know that Kieron had been looking to develop some networking amongst the community groups to leverage some use of the stadium but that effort has all now gone to waste, I think.

Dont want to snipe to much but is he really taking a proactive role with this. Last year there was at least 2 Hall of Fame iduction events plus the Robert Burns Supper. We are three quarters of the way through the season that he has taken over and so far there has only been one hall of fame event and absolutely nothing else, worryingly it sounds like Eddie Prentice with the centenary fund takes the lead with the best of intentions and then just cant be bothered with it.

If there was a list of PTFC-minded businesses who contributed towards the club, then I would be minded to consider them first for any services that I needed. Of course this comes down to simple advertising and sponsorship deals, but if there was again a useful list of businesses and services, I for one would find it useful.

And if the club could somehow negotiate some kind of price reduction for Jags fans (season ticket holders, of course!!!), then even better.

If there was a list of PTFC-minded businesses who contributed towards the club, then I would be minded to consider them first for any services that I needed. Of course this comes down to simple advertising and sponsorship deals, but if there was again a useful list of businesses and services, I for one would find it useful.

And if the club could somehow negotiate some kind of price reduction for Jags fans (season ticket holders, of course!!!), then even better.

For these things to work it's got have a reasonable high profile and in turn that would demand a sizeable fan response. Excuse me for sounding cynical but if Jags fans continue to ignore something as totally painless as easyfundraising, despite it being kept to the fore (mainly courtesy of Martin T) then, sensible tho' it undoubtedly is, I wouldn't be too confident of business networking achieving a necessary level of success.

Something similar to the snapfax booklet that students get, entitling fand to discounts at participating shops/businesses. It could work with the season ticket - or something along the lines of a £5 (free to ST holders) charge to get a 'discount card/booklet' might also work.

Customers/clients within the network could get concession rates for PATG. That way, news fans introduced through the network would have an incentive to come to the club, where they already know other fans as a result of the network. Then when (yes, when) they become season ticket holders, we can charge them full whack and milk them dry... :thumbsup2:

• Members

For these things to work it's got have a reasonable high profile and in turn that would demand a sizeable fan response. Excuse me for sounding cynical but if Jags fans continue to ignore something as totally painless as easyfundraising, despite it being kept to the fore (mainly courtesy of Martin T) then, sensible tho' it undoubtedly is, I wouldn't be too confident of business networking achieving a necessary level of success.

Speaking of Easyfundraising, I've suggested to Martin that a new EF account be opened to supplement the 50-50 draw money to bring in bigger prizes every now and then and therefore more money to the Club as well.

• 2 months later...

Just found this post from February; any interest in resurrecting this? seems like a great idea ...

Just found this post from February; any interest in resurrecting this? seems like a great idea ...

I have my own small business which is mainly Roof Coatings, Roof cleaning and Exterior Paintwork.

I would gladly give any Thistle fan or member of staff alot cheaper price for any work i did for them compared to Joe puplic.

Just PM me...