Firhill Cup & Family Fun Day!

1 John Lambie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea and well done to all concerned in helping get this organised. I'll be taking the wee man along for his first trip to Firhill for the fun day but can't see myself digging out the boots as the knees wouldn't thank me for it in the morning.

With all monies going towards the playing budget I'll be making sure I spend the £25 that the club would've got if my body could handle a kickabout these days though and would encourage every Jags fan to try their damnest to get along and help fill the coffers for next season.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Great idea. I think all the places will go reasonably quickly, 56 x £25 is a fair amount in itself, add in the extras (bar, catering, £1 admission, raffles etc) and that should be a tidy sum...and it gives us fans a chance to 'show our worth'.

I think you need to do the math again - 8 teams, 14 players per team, £25 per player or £2800 max if all teams have 14 players.

The one thing that would worry me is the mixture of men and women in games. Now I may be branded as sexist here but I can assure you that is not my intention.

We all know that some people are quite competitive, myself included. Now if I'm going in for a 50/50 challenge and i'm up against a woman, I would be worried about hurting her. Now, I could pull out the challenge, and the other team goes up the park and scores, or I could commit to the challenge and seriously injure the woman. Now what does that make me look like?

I think a better idea would be to have maybe one woman's game (or more if there is enough interest) and the rest all male.

Surely others on here have the same concerns?

The one thing that would worry me is the mixture of men and women in games. Now I may be branded as sexist here but I can assure you that is not my intention.

We all know that some people are quite competitive, myself included. Now if I'm going in for a 50/50 challenge and i'm up against a woman, I would be worried about hurting her. Now, I could pull out the challenge, and the other team goes up the park and scores, or I could commit to the challenge and seriously injure the woman. Now what does that make me look like?

I think a better idea would be to have maybe one woman's game (or more if there is enough interest) and the rest all male.

:o Hey! If you, laddie, had come up against me in my heyday you'd be on cortisone injections for the rest of your life! :angry:

:)

:thumbsup2:

I had registered, but now going to miss out because the Women's 10k is on the same day, and I'll be at Bellahouston cheering on my wife.

I'm concerned that one of the biggest events in the Glasgow calendar is going to draw crowds away from Firhill.

It is a brilliant idea, but as I said, bit worried about the timing of it!

I got to play on the hallowed turf for THW FC, and would encourage anyone to sign up!

I think you need to do the math again - 8 teams, 14 players per team, £25 per player or £2800 max if all teams have 14 players.

Ahhh, I just counted 4 team d'oh. Even healthier amount then :D

So what's the deal if you wana play, contact Charlie and get yer name in a hat? If yer name gets pulled out the hat you pay your £25?

There are many many women at Firhill who are bigger and stronger than me...so will you go easy on me in a 50/50 challenge :P

Ive played in charity games before where women played alongside men and it was funny as feck...until my da shoulder charged one of them and nearly knocked her into the next week :o . I understand your concern, but if there are mixed sex games (oo'er ;) ) it will add to the fun occassion it's meant to be. Cant be having competitive football played at Firhill, where's your head at :P

Aye but, the women in your team will surely have to get changed in the same dressing room (team spirit & all), sooooooo.......

Played a couple of times at these events and thoroughly enjoyed each one. If you're swithering about playing, don't, you'll regret it later!

Yip, I'll second that. I still basque in the glory of my hat trick back in the 800 club fun game. Chics Chappies kicked ass !!

Gona get my £25.00 quid sent in this week and get practising my forward rolls (trust me if you were at firhill that wonderful day, you will remember the goal celebration well.........many thought there was an earthquake!!).

Ahhh, I just counted 4 team d'oh. Even healthier amount then :D

So what's the deal if you wana play, contact Charlie and get yer name in a hat? If yer name gets pulled out the hat you pay your £25?

Get money into the club for attention of ami and Charlie will collect it from there. First come first served basis.

Fantastic idea this by Stuart and Charlie :thumbsup2: Well done lads

Great way to help generate extra cash for the playing budget.

Dont know how Stuart and Charlie would feel but would it be possible even to get extra cash for a sponsor.

Just for example say it was the Firhill Cup sponsored by for instance The Glaswegian and they paid £1000 to do then then could be another grand added to the days totals.

Anyway as said a fantastic idea and hopefully one that generates a big attendance

I had an idea that would it be possible to get a radio station on side? I was thinking about Real Radio, they often go to such events (sometimes do a show live from the venue), even if they weren't to put any money into it but advertised it everyday on the radio in the week leading up to the event would surely bring in some neutrals.

With Cat Harvey being a Thistle fan too, may just be possible.

Why not try and a get a team of Jags fan celebrities to take part in the Firhill Cup?

Cat Harvey, Willie Limond, Ross King ( :thinking: ), Justin Currie, Pee Tee.. the list is endless

Good idea but justin currie is now a celtic fan the last time he was in the papers he said he was.Could get a radio select to play imagine dick dung on the pitch a few meaty challenges i think. :thinking:

Good idea but justin currie is now a celtic fan the last time he was in the papers he said he was.Could get a radio select to play imagine dick dung on the pitch a few meaty challenges i think. :thinking:

Aye Currie was on Cowan/Cosgrove on Saturday saying he's always been a Celtic fan and just used the Jags tag to not completely alienate the other lot. Actually I can understand why those folk do it. Just wish they'd cite Queens Pk for a change.

Aye Currie was on Cowan/Cosgrove on Saturday saying he's always been a Celtic fan and just used the Jags tag to not completely alienate the other lot. Actually I can understand why those folk do it. Just wish they'd cite Queens Pk for a change.

Obviously he can no confess to his troubles since his career's hit the shitter.