The Current Employment Climate And Standards

PaleGreySky

I find it insulting that someone gets paid to write this and then someone gets paid to edit it before print, when any one of about 2000 thistle fans and probably a good number of fans from other SFL1 clubs could do a better job. It doesn't take much to know (or find out) that Kris Doolan played for Auchinless Talbot not Kilbirnie Ladeside and, to be honest, if you don't you should not be paid for writing an article about his team and the game they were involved in.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/doolan-s-target-is-to-reach-no-1-in-the-charts-1.1089737

Don't see anything wrong with the article, apart from the mistake about Kris's previous club.

Though considering they're Erskine's previous club, and Erskine is mentioned in the article, and both are ex junior players, i can see how the mistake may have come about.

It mentions the last game, it mentions the next game. Mentions our negatives and how the club want to turn them around...

PGS:

You have 24 hours... You've picked up a couple of quotes from Doolan... Give us an article of 500 words to prepare us for Saturday... :thumbsup2:

PGS:

You have 24 hours... You've picked up a couple of quotes from Doolan... Give us an article of 500 words to prepare us for Saturday... :thumbsup2:

I don't have 24 hours, I have no hours. This is because I spend them studying so that my work is good, and so that I'm good at my job when I graduate (again). When I provide a good/service that people are expected to pay for, I'll make sure it is professional enough for me to justify the salary I take for it.

Incidentally, if I had 24 hours, my article about Doolan, the QOS game and saturday's game would be the best article written about a thistle game this season. That's not saying a lot, though.

Auchinless was a typo. Good thing I'm not a professional wearethistle forum poster... :lol:

I don't have 24 hours, I have no hours. This is because I spend them studying so that my work is good, and so that I'm good at my job when I graduate (again). When I provide a good/service that people are expected to pay for, I'll make sure it is professional enough for me to justify the salary I take for it.

Incidentally, if I had 24 hours, my article about Doolan, the QOS game and saturday's game would be the best article written about a thistle game this season. That's not saying a lot, though.

Auchinless was a typo. Good thing I'm not a professional wearethistle forum poster... :lol:

The Evening Times is (or used to be) the Herald's wee sister paper. The Herald clearly don't give a toss about us, as recently posted on another topic, so I'm thankful for any coverage. Doesn't make it good though. Be st of a bad lot really.

Am I the only one who is absolutely livid every time the BBC call our top scorer "Doohlan" on their website? They're still at it click

Fair enough, they made the mistake when he scored on debut at Palmerston: they won't have had any Wikipedia records to consult as he hadn't ever played for a senior team, and they might not have picked up on news coverage of the signing, and just heard the name over the phone or something, but ffs he's been with us for two seasons now and still the stray 'h'?

Am I the only one who is absolutely livid every time the BBC call our top scorer "Doohlan" on their website? They're still at it click

Fair enough, they made the mistake when he scored on debut at Palmerston: they won't have had any Wikipedia records to consult as he hadn't ever played for a senior team, and they might not have picked up on news coverage of the signing, and just heard the name over the phone or something, but ffs he's been with us for two seasons now and still the stray 'h'?

Again, couldn't give a flying ferret.

If you want complete accuracy you should use Soccerbase. Up until last season we had a Doolan and a Doohlan. Fortunately this season we managed to release the former. Doolan only played last season 2 games tho' he did score on one of those two occasions. This season according to Soccerbase we now only have Doohlan on our books. Doohlan's scoring rate appears quite decent but it may be a bit early to start calling him the New Duke Gekantawa.

Hope that clears up any confusion :thumbsup2: .

Also, the BBC always have Erskene listed in our team. The BBC should be able to do better than that. It isn't the biggest deal to be honest but it does give me a chuckle every time.

Contact the Press Association. It supplies the BBC with its material.

With the club dying on its arse its good to know that some Jags fans have got their priorities right. hope my spelling is OK!!

It's possible to care about the club, yet still be a pedant at the same time. The thread is about standards in employment, and specifically in journalism. Do you think it is important for a journalist to know anything about what they are writing about?

The thread is about standards in employment, and specifically in journalism. Do you think it is important for a journalist to know anything about what they are writing about?

Obviously it is, but maybe its not very reasonable to expect this journalist to know everything.

If its anything like a lot of other "employment" at the moment, the guy is probably being asked to write about five other articles that day as well and is working ridiculous hours (with probably no overtime) to do it. I think it is amazingly easy to criticise but usually just very arrogant to say you could do someone's job better as you don't really know what it involves.

I know people out of work are often perfectly understandably angry about that situation, but opining about current employment "standards" is generally going to be total bollocks unless you are actually walking that walk.

Most jobs are not as easy as they look :frantic: