The Stadium Changes

potty trained

In the early 90's Partick Thistle offered us a glimpse of the future, how our board saw The Club developing, building a future in Glasgow. Modelled on the Luigi Ferraris 42.000 capacity stadium, it was modern, state of the art, it ticked all the boxes!

A 16.000 capacity stadium, state of the art, using all the land to bring in the local community. Through local busnises, in the corners, we would bring in a steady income, through office space. We would keep the Thistle tradition through the main stand. A stand, fully refurbished, a stand when we went up to the SPL at the turn of the century, was gleeming!

The north end would hold state of the art astro turf pitches. In conjunction with the Partick Thistle endorsed and affiliated Firhill Complex, we would see the North Glasgow kids provided with surfaces to play and train on. A Thistle community stretching far and wide!

Where did it go wrong?

Bearing in mind that this was probably the 6th or 7th development plan of Firhill that Thistle fans had seen in the last 50 years, the majority were sceptical, so much so, Sick In The Basin ran a spoof headline with Paul Kinnaird vowing he wouldn't bet on it happenning. That headline enough, probably saw thistle fans desert Firhill for the nearest bookies, it was a dead cert! Welcome the new mecca!

So what if?

What if we had went ahead with Jim Oliver's (and his board) plan?

Where would we be now? Some folk will tell you Jim Oliver was the last great Chairman, that he had nothing but The Jags, in mind, who couldn't? when he stepped into the (Grasping The Thistle) camera at Love Street, proclaiming John Lambie as the re-incarnation!

I hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure it was Jim Oliver's company who built the JHS, a dead weight around our shoulders! Funny that, eh? A structure that put us into debt! A stand that probably costs more to police, now, than it does to demolish! Frightening, eh?

But yet, not many years later, we are left with this More than 100 flats will be built to generate vital funds for the First Division Glasgow side, with more than 2,000 supporters’ seats being removed to make room for the complex.

Mr Beattie said: “The fourth side couldn’t be much worse than it is now, it is really only a grassy mound."

You've really got to ask why! Why, when we were a nowhere team, floating between the SPL and the second division, did we decide, it was in our club's best interest to demolish an income stream (standing football) to make way for a hill of grass!

There are standing facilities all over Scotland, Thistle fans, to a man will tell you how good the shed end at Sommerset park is! What in our board's minds decided, demolishing the City End was beneficial to the Club!

In the end, it doesn't really matter. History shows that we, the fans, have little or no input, that we are just the spare tyre, flung in the boot and forgotten about until required!

paper talk. march 2010

Barr Construction portfolio

who can forget 2008 when some random builder decided no more Firhill, they would start from scratch, but they woul at least keep the front 2 thirds of the NEW main stand!

The New main stand! The jackie Husband Stand!

Christ, they even sent down a few reps to the ground! Strangely, that fell in line with the maryhill canal festival. strangely a day when Thistle were away from home, the club left a young lad from the office to take all the questions... no wonder he's still travelling Europe!

some things change, somethings don't!

Our home is changing by the day.

This isn't even the stadium i watched Thistle in, 10 years ago!

At the beginning of the 90's the stadium was a life blood. Potential rung through the stands. 10 years later we were back there again, only slightly smaller.

Look at the last 10 years. Development chased development. Companies ran for the hills, so we started our own... Well, the directors did!

I fear for Partick Thistle, I walk up to the ground on a match day, i see a club dying on it's arse. There won't be a partick thistle in 10 years. How can there be!

:(

I believe that the rules were at the time (probably changed since we were in the SPL), that, once a team with terracing had played in the SPL, even if they were relegated back to the First, the terracing could no longer be used for any league match. Why this is the case I have no idea, maybe something to do with safety certificates, but I recall hearing this at the time.

Would expect that money and planning pemission meant that JO's vision didn't go ahead but to be honest I don't remember the plans at the time as I was only about 11 years old.

If things had been a wee bit different and those plans had gone through, i really do think that in the climate of the times thistle could have become one of the biggest clubs in scotland, perhaps even challenging the old firm.

times are different now though.

http://www.themainstand.com/firhillvision.html

That vision is hard to look at as, and it hurts me to say so,Firhill is a dump. A rotting, unused main stand, the shambles that is the city end, the filth covered seats in both the other stands, a playing pitch that has to be one of, if not the worst in Britain. It really is embarrasing. Personally I would go the whole hog and flog every part of it and move somewhere else. A 6000 seater would be sufficient for us now and even if we only get 3000 at a game at least there would be a bit of an atmosphere

Edited by Lindau

That vision is hard to look at as, and it hurts me to say so,Firhill is a dump. A rotting, unused main stand, the shambles that is the city end, the filth covered seats in both the other stands, a playing pitch that has to be one of, if not the worst in Britain. It really is embarrasing. Personally I would go the whole hog and flog every part of it and move somewhere else. A 6000 seater would be sufficient for us now and even if we only get 3000 at a game at least there would be a bit of an atmosphere

I'm now coming around to that way of thinking.

Sadly, the only way is down for Firhill unless there's a huge investment - I'm talking high seven figures.

The day the city end and the main stand were sold to propco was the day the writing appeared on the wall for football at Firhill. Will the present board be making a contingency to move the club? I would doubt it.

A year ago I'd have said Scotstoun would be a good idea, right now I think groundshare with Petershill might be more appropriate.

Who to blame? That's what this thread is all about, after all.

I'm coming around to that thinking too. However I would love it if we could reintroduce standing areas, creating a modern stadium that is reminiscent of Firhill about 10 years ago but with a little more balance. This would mean two stands of 2,000-3,000 along the touchlines and safe terraces at either end. Like any stadium ideas, any we come up with are just going to rot away like the stadium along with the numerous ideas that have been put forward by board members past and present.

I'm now coming around to that way of thinking.

You dont know how hard it was for me to say that jaggernaut. My dad started taking me to Firhill in the late 50s and I love the ground, but I am now embarrased by it. The directors over the last decade have a lot to answer for, for the way they have let the ground decay

Edited by Lindau

The sad thing is those responsible still have positions within in the Club and are major shareholders, who vote off other Board members they don't like.

Destroying the City End (even though it wasn't in use) without planning permission beforehand was possibly the most stupid, amateur mistake you could make, regarding Stadium redevelopment. It still pisses me off to this day. It sums up perfectly the buffoons who were in charge and still are due to shares handed to them for free in "good faith".

When you walk up behind the city end and look through the fence Firhill looks pretty good. When you are in the ground and see the grassy mound and the main stand falling into disrepair it looks terrible.

What happened to the plans to sell all of Firhill, clear the debt and also build a brand new ground on the other side of the canal where the land is much cheaper?

I'm no property expert but I think the only options were to complete Firhill like the vision or sell up and move. This compromise Propco thing seems destined for failure, once the flats are built how much value would be left in the pitch and 2 other stands, not much I fear.

Where are the 2,000 seats that will be removed, according the article? Do they mean the excellent main stand, or is the JH stand to be mutilated as well?

I am also completely confused by the article. First it talks about the development becoming the fourth side (in which case there would be no loss of seats), then they talk about the Main Stand being removed without actually saying if there is going to be anything to replace this?

Can anyone clear this up or extent the article to explain what has been agreed (with timescales) for each side of Firhill please?

Edited by brodieboy

I am also completely confused by the article. First it talks about the development becoming the fourth side (in which case there would be no loss of seats), then they talk about the Main Stand being removed without actually saying if there is going to be anything to replace this?

Can anyone clear this up or extent the article to explain what has been agreed (with timescales) for each side of Firhill please?

ust re-read it there and it makes more sense. "More flats will follow in a revamp of the original stand."

Wouldn't mind an idea of timescales for the whole development though? Are there to be any seats put in place at the South or West sites?

Destroying the City End (even though it wasn't in use) without planning permission beforehand was possibly the most stupid, amateur mistake you could make, regarding Stadium redevelopment. It still pisses me off to this day. It sums up perfectly the buffoons who were in charge and still are due to shares handed to them for free in "good faith".

Tragically, you can watch it happen: Say cheese.

I love Firhill. All my feelings for Thistle are wrapped up in that place, but I see no way back for it as a viable ground for us now after the Frankenstein's mess they've made of developing it over the years.

I love Firhill. All my feelings for Thistle are wrapped up in that place, but I see no way back for it as a viable ground for us now after the Frankenstein's mess they've made of developing it over the years.

Anybody else notice that Brown McMaster's tactic seems to be to talk talk talk talk talk without ever shutting the f*ck up, and basically just grinding people into submission?

Who are the Asian couple proudly pictured with McMaster in front of the rubble?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Tragically, you can watch it happen: Say cheese.I love Firhill. All my feelings for Thistle are wrapped up in that place, but I see no way back for it as a viable ground for us now after the Frankenstein's mess they've made of developing it over the years.

Urggh! Give me a brutal dentist any time.

Horrible stuff.

All my early memories of Firhill was in the City End. It was where my Dad took me when I was young. Arguably, the best view in the Stadium, right up the back at the police box.

Where did it all go wrong?

Answer : There's only one John Lambie.

Credit is due for the heart and cash of Jim Oliver too. Lambie will tell you just how important Jim was to the 90s successes. But, I think he was seduced by the glamour the SPL promised and took Lambie's wizardry of keeping us there for granted. He also made a big mistake not paying Jez Moxey whatever he wanted to stay at the club. Instead he stuck with what he new, building.

Breifly, how i recall it....

* The 80s, a decade of first division mediocrity. Relegation from the prem, sell our best players, crowds average 2000 at best, cup runs are like hens' teeth. Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed".

* The 90s, enter Oliver & Lambie. Bosh! Premier league. Easy-peasy! .... Don't mention Sandy b*s*a*ding Clark, Meadowbank, or skin of teeth goal diff.... Ha-Ha-Hamilton!!!! getitrightupye!!!

* 4 seasons at the top table. Money cant be bad? Invest in the team? Aye but Lambie's a genius and as long as we're not relegated.... let's build a great big stand!

* Oh-NO!!!!Lambie leaves for F**kin Falkirk!!!! sorry... F**k**k..... Play off??? W.T.F!!!!!

* The 00s looming and Bish bash Bollocks.... 2nd div!?!?!? Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed". Fingers oot and Save the Jags.

* Job's a goodun. "The peoples club". No it is nae! Aye it is! NAW.... It's no really. ... AYe , but it is sortae? ... disnae matter.

* Party coz it's 1999 and we've nowt to fear cuz Lambini's here! Goin up-up-up!!! 10,000 seats Mr SPL Sir? Oh we'll see to that right away Sir. What d'you mean money for the team? Can't you see the big lads'll pick on us if we don't look the part? Never mind the quality, feel the glamour!

* Gerry C.? Unsupervised? Y'sure bout tha....? Gerry B.& Deek?!?!?!? Y'f**kin sure bout tha......? At leaste we've got 10,000 seats That'll save us ..... TITS!!!!!!

* Campbell? .... What's his first name? .... aye whatever.

* OH! We am de jammy b*s*a*ds!!!! serves ye right ya fish fiddlers!!!! Here we go here we go here we go!!!! All we need to do now is get John back in the hot seat and.... John? ..... JOHN? ...... JOOOHHHNNNNNNNN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

* Right..... Ian..... Your mission should you choose to accept it..... Impossible? What d'ya mean? You never heard of The great John Lambie? ..... Now get to it. Sharpish mind we've got 10,000 seats to fill..... and dont be askin for any money till you fill em..... oh and see that guy, aye the one that actually looks like a footballer? We're sellin him. .... You don't really need a full time assistant, do you?

* Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed".

I obviously never went through the 80's & early 90's, but it is hard to see how things can improve much over the next decade. We live in hope.

What is apparent though is that we'll either be in the SPL & still be full-time, or be a 1st/2nd Div team with mostly a part-time team. Finances were tight years back, but there was the option of loans & overdrafts, that's not now there now. Live within your means or it's goodbye. Can that lead to the SPL? I hope so.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

There used to be 4 or 5 options going to firhill. The stand, the shed, behind the goal, the enclosure, hospitality. Each option offered a distinctly different feel to watching the game. Priced accordingly, if not entirely logically.

Now there are two. 17 quid or 85 quid. Apart from the clothes you're wearing, when your actually watching the game..... is there any real difference between the two?

The ground for me is the main reason why the clubs support is continuing to dwindle. Its an absolute disgrace.

I respect your view but I feel that's only a contributory factor. Crowds have been dwindling from most clubs many of whom have tidy grounds and lush playing surfaces. If we had treble the crowds we get today the ground would still be a disgrace, we'd just choose to ignore that fact.

There used to be 4 or 5 options going to firhill. The stand, the shed, behind the goal, the enclosure, hospitality. Each option offered a distinctly different feel to watching the game. Priced accordingly, if not entirely logically.

Now there are two. 17 quid or 85 quid. Apart from the clothes you're wearing, when your actually watching the game..... is there any real difference between the two?

Thats my point. When you arrive at Firhill you have the lone breezeblock JH on offer at an overpriced rate, and once inside you are staring at a run down, bird shit covered, empty midden. This just ****s up the whole atmosphere and match day experience obviously.

We can hand out as many free tickets and goodie bags to kids as we like, but who the **** is going to want to watch football and grow up being proud of our midden? It would probably look better if a nuclear missile hit it.

What an even bigger redneck the place is going to look in a few years when the loonies in the asylum have their way. Sorry to sound overly hysterical, but theres a chance it'll be at the point of being so embarrassing it might even cost us the signings of some players! A two sided deformed lego ground, **** me at least Hamilton Accies planned for two stands from the outset!

Of course its a contributory factor. A winning team helps greatly too amongst other things.