Half Time Announcer

Big Col

Mistake made, move on.

Completly agree.

Too often on here, things get blown out of all proportion and have meanings inferred onto them or conspiracies attached to them. To call Lance a 'clown', 'stupid', suggest that if he doesn't appologise he should 'chuck it' or to suggest that at Partick Thistle, we stand against those who show solidarity with the people of Japan is just wrong.

IMO, it's a over-reaction to start an entirly new thread for the non-issue.

When two fans can't even organise a post-season family fun day, without coming in for critisism on here for the scope of the event, I really do wonder if people just look for the negatives in everything to do with Thistle just now.

Edited by MerryHell

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it had been a timeshare for an apartment on the 100th floor of the World Trade Centre or a beachside villa in Phuket that would've been okay as well? Would it be okay for OF half time announcers to openly make jokes over their tannoy about IRA bombings or Bloody Sunday?

It's not a question of having delicate ears but comments like that make him look like a twat and make the club look like twats for employing such a twat.

Lance should just hand over £17 and that will justify anything he says - well that certainly appears to me the attitude of the folk who think that 90 minutes of calling McCall, Grehan or whoever is having a bad game every name under the sun (usually prefixed with colourful language) without consideration for those around them which could include that person's mother/father/husband/wife/etc is perfectally acceptable.

In my opinion we all represent Partick Thistle - there are plenty of folk I meet on a day to day basis who won't know my religion, political views, etc but know that I am a Jags fan by my wooly bunnet/scarf/baseball cap/lapel badge and I always think that hopefully my interaction with them will make them think "Thistle fans are a decent bunch".

It was an error of judgement by Lance on the spur of the moment and not planned so lets treat it as such and concentrate on what is really important and that is backing the Club.

Lance should just hand over £17 and that will justify anything he says - well that certainly appears to me the attitude of the folk who think that 90 minutes of calling McCall, Grehan or whoever is having a bad game every name under the sun (usually prefixed with colourful language) without consideration for those around them which could include that person's mother/father/husband/wife/etc is perfectally acceptable.

In my opinion we all represent Partick Thistle - there are plenty of folk I meet on a day to day basis who won't know my religion, political views, etc but know that I am a Jags fan by my wooly bunnet/scarf/baseball cap/lapel badge and I always think that hopefully my interaction with them will make them think "Thistle fans are a decent bunch".

It was an error of judgement by Lance on the spur of the moment and not planned so lets treat it as such and concentrate on what is really important and that is backing the Club.

Of course it was just an error of judgement but that doesn't mean he shouldn't apologise.

Big Ron made an error of judgement when he made his infamous remarks about Dessaily whilst representing ITV, he no doubt said that on the spur of the moment and didn't plan it, does that make it okay?

Supporters shouting abuse at a player is totally different to a club representative making fun of a natural disaster in which tens of thousands have died, surely you can see that?

Just for clarity, I do not have sensitive ears nor am I in any way a PC minded liberal who is appalled at the slightest wee sweary. And for the record, I would have raised this even if we had won six nil yesterday. I am not one of those people who look for any kind of negative in everything aligned to Thistle.

But IMO it was an appalling lapse in judgement and I think he should apologise. Do you think if this appeared in the papers it would not tarnish the club?

Edited by Big Col

Without any doubt, the comment was in bad taste and severely ill-advised. It doesn't reflect well on Lance or the club. However, having met Lance before, I know him to be a thoroughly decent bloke who I very much doubt made the comment with any malicious intent. It was an attempt at a cheap joke which didn't go down well at the time and I'm sure he realised as soon as he said it that he'd made an error of judgement. Personally, I'm not offended by it but do appreciate that others may be.

• Members

After jokes about the second prizes at a couple of other games recently, 2 week holiday in Egypt, trips to Libya etc. I think Lance was probably just trying to keep it going. he got it wrong this week. I'm sure he knows it, but I hope he doesn't feel he should chuck it or stop trying to brighten things up.

Of course it was just an error of judgement but that doesn't mean he shouldn't apologise.

Big Ron made an error of judgement when he made his infamous remarks about Dessaily whilst representing ITV, he no doubt said that on the spur of the moment and didn't plan it, does that make it okay?

Supporters shouting abuse at a player is totally different to a club representative making fun of a natural disaster in which tens of thousands have died, surely you can see that?

Ideally for me Lance apologises and it is accepted by those who deem it necessary and we all move on with a little bit more thought over what we say.

I'm sure the people of Japan really give a shit whether some muppet in a backwater like Scotland makes a tasteless crack about their predicament.

And I'm sure having a minutes silence being demanded at sporting occaisions makes a big difference to their lives and the situation they find themselves in.

Wasn't at the game, so didn't hear the joke, but would have felt it was in bad taste.

However, there seems to be a pretty incredible "apology demanded" reaction on here when things occur that somebody doesn't agree with.

How about an apology from McCall, then the players, for yesterday's performance?

How about an apology for people having to go to several queues to get into the match?

How about an apology for the half-cold pies?

Etc. etc.

Edited by Jaggernaut

So firstly, apologies to those - including Uberteeb - who took offense. Probably not the most apposite comment of my career. It is never my intention to offend anyone (occasionally to wind up the opposition fans, but never offend).

Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the descriptor of "twat" as appended by Uberteeb, but, hey, my skin is thick as well as ugly, I'll get over it.

I would much rather we had a thread focused on the positive crowd response to the good wishes for the Jags-supporting family of 3 week old Hamish McDonald who is in Yorkhill at present.

So firstly, apologies to those - including Uberteeb - who took offense. Probably not the most apposite comment of my career. It is never my intention to offend anyone (occasionally to wind up the opposition fans, but never offend).

Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the descriptor of "twat" as appended by Uberteeb, but, hey, my skin is thick as well as ugly, I'll get over it.

I would much rather we had a thread focused on the positive crowd response to the good wishes for the Jags-supporting family of 3 week old Hamish McDonald who is in Yorkhill at present.

apology fine,no prob with that, and should have bein left there.

as for wee hamish, if you want a thread start one, could look as if your trying to divert the topic.

To the Mcdonalds hope the wee man is fine, thoughts with you. He is in the best place the docs/nurses and staff at yorkhill are wonderful.

You had no need to apologise Lance !

The PC brigade are everywhere waiting to pounce on anyone who make's the slightest error of judgement.

Your biggest critic Ubertwat is clearly a person who is easily upset. Which will explain why he regularly enjoys dealing with Strathclyde / Lothian / Fife's finest !

Get a life is what springs to my mind !

You had no need to apologise Lance !

The PC brigade are everywhere waiting to pounce on anyone who make's the slightest error of judgement.

Your biggest critic Ubertwat is clearly a person who is easily upset. Which will explain why he regularly enjoys dealing with Strathclyde / Lothian / Fife's finest !

Get a life is what springs to my mind !

Could you not have just left this thread after Big Col's post? Clearly, well to me at least, the poster who started the thread was (in the post above yours) drawing a line under it after Lance's post.

You obviously feel the need to add your tuppence worth to what should've now been a thread that's run it's course.

I realise by posting this and thus dragging out the thread I'm falling into the land of hypocrisy so maybe I, like you, should also "get a life".

Could you not have just left this thread after Big Col's post? Clearly, well to me at least, the poster who started the thread was (in the post above yours) drawing a line under it after Lance's post.

You obviously feel the need to add your tuppence worth to what should've now been a thread that's run it's course.

I realise by posting this and thus dragging out the thread I'm falling into the land of hypocrisy so maybe I, like you, should also "get a life".

Who are you to dictate when a thread starts or finishes ffs !

I feel strongly that Lance didn't have to apologise ! Is that ok with you ?

Who are you to dictate when a thread starts or finishes ffs !

I feel strongly that Lance didn't have to apologise ! Is that ok with you ?

Firstly I haven't a clue by what you mean about dictating when a thread starts. Secondly I'm not dictating when a thread finishes. How do you go about that anyway? I was suggesting that with the OP evidently content with Lance's post that the matter was over with.

I'm sorry I hadn't anticipated you or anyone else feeling so strongly about it. Anyway in fairness to Lance is it not better just to leave it be?