Artificial Pitch

RodMcDonaldJag

Noticed in one of the other threads that someone mentioned that an artificial pitch wouldn't necessarily mean the Warriors would have to leave Firhill. If that is the case, why are we not looking to get this done? Is it purely that it would cost too much? In my, albeit not particularly well informed, view, surely the benefits from upkeep and potentially renting the pitch out midweek would (medium term at least) be greater than the initial cost? Could the SRU not contribute also?

I dont think The SPL allow such pitches but im honestly beginning to think that I wouldnt care. Perhaps this is something that could be changed with the expected league shake up? Good few lads I know have decided to call it a day for this season and I know the pitch is one of the big factors in their decision. I far prefer away games nowadays as the entertainment value offered up at home is very poor and the pitch must be a massive contirbutory factor to this.

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might have been one of my posts you're talking about, though I think someone else posted in favour of it too. Obviously I am in favour, I think it would be brilliant for the club, and by reducing outgoings through pitch maintenance and pitch hire for training for us and youth teams and increasing takings by hiring it out in the community. Imagine as fans we could hire the pitch for 7 a-side, I'd love to organise a weekly kick-about at Firhill.

I know that Saracens were looking at playing on artificial turf next season as they're moving ground, and the IRB and RFU have approved it's use. I also think at some point that Lineen's Weegie Army posted the names of a number of rugby clubs that play on artificial surfaces, but I might have made that one up.

Noticed in one of the other threads that someone mentioned that an artificial pitch wouldn't necessarily mean the Warriors would have to leave Firhill. If that is the case, why are we not looking to get this done? Is it purely that it would cost too much? In my, albeit not particularly well informed, view, surely the benefits from upkeep and potentially renting the pitch out midweek would (medium term at least) be greater than the initial cost? Could the SRU not contribute also?

I dont think The SPL allow such pitches but im honestly beginning to think that I wouldnt care. Perhaps this is something that could be changed with the expected league shake up? Good few lads I know have decided to call it a day for this season and I know the pitch is one of the big factors in their decision. I far prefer away games nowadays as the entertainment value offered up at home is very poor and the pitch must be a massive contirbutory factor to this.

Thoughts?

I'd be in favour of anything which keeps a good quality of pitch whilst not impacting on our potential to continue gaining income from the Warriors.

However on the point of making money off the pitch by renting it out midweek would that really be something which would make the club money? It certainly has its benefits for other clubs in their local communities but being so close to other facilities offering 3g playing surfaces could impact on being able to hire it out. It would certainly reduce costs though as the first team and youth teams should be able to train on it rather than having to go elsewhere. That's if the surface was of a standard that allowed all the players, even those with knee problems, from using it.

It might have been one of my posts you're talking about, though I think someone else posted in favour of it too. Obviously I am in favour, I think it would be brilliant for the club, and by reducing outgoings through pitch maintenance and pitch hire for training for us and youth teams and increasing takings by hiring it out in the community. Imagine as fans we could hire the pitch for 7 a-side, I'd love to organise a weekly kick-about at Firhill.

I know that Saracens were looking at playing on artificial turf next season as they're moving ground, and the IRB and RFU have approved it's use. I also think at some point that Lineen's Weegie Army posted the names of a number of rugby clubs that play on artificial surfaces, but I might have made that one up.

Sarries are playing on an artificial pitch from next season (think that is all set in stone - although HC games are likely to be on grass at Wembley, but that is entirely through choice). Will be interesting to see how it affects games, since most rugby fans have never seen a game on plastic. Racing Metro are the other club going to astroturf, but not for a few years yet (that is so they can host concerts in their new ground without damaging the pitch)

I also mentioned the russian clubs - but im not 100% sure on that one.

Im not sure how the SRU would see it, but personally I would be quite happy with an artificial pitch being installed at Firhill. Playing on a surface that no other club in the league (and only 1 other in the HC) is used to playing on could become a massive home advantage (obviously in thistles case there are a few others).

Sarries are playing on an artificial pitch from next season (think that is all set in stone - although HC games are likely to be on grass at Wembley, but that is entirely through choice). Will be interesting to see how it affects games, since most rugby fans have never seen a game on plastic. Racing Metro are the other club going to astroturf, but not for a few years yet (that is so they can host concerts in their new ground without damaging the pitch)

I also mentioned the russian clubs - but im not 100% sure on that one.

Im not sure how the SRU would see it, but personally I would be quite happy with an artificial pitch being installed at Firhill. Playing on a surface that no other club in the league (and only 1 other in the HC) is used to playing on could become a massive home advantage (obviously in thistles case there are a few others).

No there isn't. Well, nobody we're likely to come up against barring cup draws anyway. As far as I am aware only Ochilview has an artificial pitch in the SFL, where Stenhousemuir and East Stirlingshire play.

Also, I've read Newcastle Falcons play on an artificial surface, is that true?

No there isn't. Well, nobody we're likely to come up against barring cup draws anyway. As far as I am aware only Ochilview has an artificial pitch in the SFL, where Stenhousemuir and East Stirlingshire play.

Also, I've read Newcastle Falcons play on an artificial surface, is that true?

TBH, iv'e lost track of who plays on astroturf these days - there msut be a few who used to play on it then? (Hamilton and Dunfermline are the obvious ones)

Pretty sure Newcastle play on grass - although now you mention it, I think there is some conection to artificial turf there.. Possibly the first team to train on it regularly? (quite a few teams are in that position now though - Glasgow included)

Still not seen an artificial pitch that you can slide tackle on. That's a big issue, it's a massive part of the game, but seems dangerous on an artificial pitch.

I play 5s and 7s on good artificial pitches but you can't perform a slide tackle as you would on grass.

That's another good reason for going for it then - football (rightly or wrongly) is moving in the direction that ANY tackle that has the possibility of the tackler 'losing control' (e.g off the ground, two-footed, or tackle from behind at the moment)will result in a red card*.

If we can remove this from our teams game, we are more likely to reap the benefits.

*This is not to say I approve of this attitude!...

I doubt if I'd continue to buy a season ticket if Firhill had a plastic pitch. In fact that's probably an understatement. Better phrased to say I'd only pay at the gate now and again for big games.

I've absolutely no interest in watching Ist Division football played on that surface.

Without any prejudice, I'm keen to know why you are so diametrically opposed to the idea. On the face of it, if we can train there, and play there, and the rugby types can too, and it can be used by amateurs as well, then everyone is happy, and Firhill is being used profitably every day. All good. I have never witnessed professional football being played on such a surface, however, and wonder if that is why you think it is a bad idea?

(On another matter entirely, and I've always wanted to ask, but when I were a lad in the early 80's there was a band kicking about the West End called Lady Isobel Barnett and the Live Wires. I obviously have no clue to your age, but I don't recall any mention in the media of the tragic peer between then and your arrival on the forum. Any connection?)

Without any prejudice, I'm keen to know why you are so diametrically opposed to the idea. On the face of it, if we can train there, and play there, and the rugby types can too, and it can be used by amateurs as well, then everyone is happy, and Firhill is being used profitably every day. All good. I have never witnessed professional football being played on such a surface, however, and wonder if that is why you think it is a bad idea?

(On another matter entirely, and I've always wanted to ask, but when I were a lad in the early 80's there was a band kicking about the West End called Lady Isobel Barnett and the Live Wires. I obviously have no clue to your age, but I don't recall any mention in the media of the tragic peer between then and your arrival on the forum. Any connection?)

Firstly I had one too many sherries last night and on reflection if we installed a plastic pitch at Firhill I'd maybe still continue buying a season ticket. I'm assuming that if we did it was because we were forced into it financially.

I've watched quite a bit of football on plastic and I find it a bit "false". Maybe it's the bounce of the ball or the tackling but I feel the entertainment level is substantially lower. This is an opinion shared with an Accies mate and I hear Mulraney at Alloa concedes this as well, tho' the commercial benefits in his opinion dictates the choice of surface. As I posted elsewhere I liken the difference in grass and plastic pitches to watching golf played over links or parkland.

Oh, and I've no connection to the popular beat combo you mention. Thrilled and honoured nonetheless to hear of this :thumbsup2::)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've been up in Forfar for the weekend and read on the cover of the local rag that Forfar has just been given Scottish Government finance for two new 3G pitches, one for a school and one to be shared by Athletic and Farmington (although apparently neither Athletic or Farmington applied for it...) This is coming from the new government pledge to invest proceeds of crime in Scottish sport.

So, given that apparently we could get an artificial surface that both us and the Warriors can play on, would this be a viable possibility for the club? Can see it making a lot of sense financially, both in increasing income and mainly in reducing costs.

Has anyone heard anything about this from the club?

Argued for this ever since artificial pitches became suitable for top class football.......they`ve played a champions league final on the stuff!

For me it`s a no brainer. I`d even go as far as having the SFL insist that all their member clubs rip up their current mud heaps and instal artificial surfaces. This should be subsidised to as great a level as possible with graded payments for different leagues. The lower the league the greater the subsidy.

Look at the benifits :

True surface which would enhance skill development

Pitches available every day of the year

No need for seperate training facilities

The pitches would be available for the local community and would provide an income stream

No need for undersoil heating...a huge cost benefit.

Supporters could leave for games in the certain knowledge the games would go ahead. Hospitality would see a huge boost from this fact alone.

Few midweek games as there are no cancellations. Cost benefit again.

There are more benefits and I can`t for the life of me come up with anything which would be a downside.

If the football authorities in this country were in any way serious about developing the game given our weather conditions they should be taking the chioce in this matter out of our hands.

No cancellations would mean few midweek games....a huge cost benifit

I've been up in Forfar for the weekend and read on the cover of the local rag that Forfar has just been given Scottish Government finance for two new 3G pitches, one for a school and one to be shared by Athletic and Farmington (although apparently neither Athletic or Farmington applied for it...) This is coming from the new government pledge to invest proceeds of crime in Scottish sport.

So, given that apparently we could get an artificial surface that both us and the Warriors can play on, would this be a viable possibility for the club? Can see it making a lot of sense financially, both in increasing income and mainly in reducing costs.

Has anyone heard anything about this from the club?

I remember Allan cowan making mention of it not too long before he "left". been no other comments from the club that i can remember.

these parks seem to be improving year on year and so if we could get one that still allowed slide tackles and didn't give an "artificial" look to our games, then i think it would make sense to get one. If it's a park that allows the Warriors to stay and play rugby on it, then slide tackles should be no problem for us !!

Some of the top Norwegian teams use and will also be using it in europe if they were to qualify, football needss to get its act together with the product on the park and messing about the customers, and itch either going to be summer football or artificial surface, hopefully enhancing the standard on the park and eliminating cancellations and re-arrangements of fixtures

I doubt if I'd continue to buy a season ticket if Firhill had a plastic pitch. In fact that's probably an understatement. Better phrased to say I'd only pay at the gate now and again for big games.

I've absolutely no interest in watching Ist Division football played on that surface.

I quite agree. I have seen several games on an artificial pitch and I cannot think of one that was enjoyable. I have seen some games on a pretty poor pitch that were quite good. Certainly, a poor pitch doesn't help for good football and we have been unfortunate that the weather has been so severe this winter resulting in a poor playing surface.

True football is played on grass, artificial football is played on artificial pitches.