Just In

Solid - very solid defensive display. Rowson, Doolan and Robertson outstanding. Dunfermline never put us under any concerted pressure and for a team that are supposedly challenging for promotion they were rendered harmless. Probably should have won as we had the best chances - Dunfermline had long periods of possession in second half but couldn't get the ball out of their own half. Donelly probably played last game for Thistle - good guy but past it, McCall shouldn't expose him any more, the young dudes can do the same job.

All in all a good trip to East End Park - particularly nice to be in the main stand.

Edited by daxington preamble

Solid - very solid defensive display. Rowson, Doolan and Robertson outstanding. Dunfermline never put us under any concerted pressure and for a team that are supposedly challenging for promotion they were rendered harmless. Probably should have won as we had the best chances - Dunfermline had long periods of possession in second half but couldn't get the ball out of their own half. Donelly probably played last game for Thistle - good guy but past it, McCall shouldn't expose him any more, the young dudes can do the same job.

All in all a good trip to East End Park - particularly nice to be in the main stand.

Yeah seems everyone who was there yesterday has the same view on Sid. He has certainly split opinion of the jags support during his time with us but if the young lads in our squad go on to become regulars and good players i hope we can all recognise the part guys like sid played in their developement.

not been the best player to pull on a jags shirt but nowhere near the worst either. Had his moments but now would seem the right time to let some of the younger lads to take over from him.

I doubt even those who have questioned the value of Donnelly have ever been critical of his close control. Up until yesterday at least when even that aspect of his game was appalling.

I'd rather see Sid bow out more auspiciously but we're now at a time of the season where we should be bringing in the youngsters. Up until recently I could see a case for playing Donnelly alongside the likes of Campbell, Fraser & MacBeth. His style has always been to bring others into play but on yesterday's evidence even that's gone.

Having been to Forthbank on Tuesday as well it's good to see a few players stick in two decent performances in a row. None more so than Robbo & Balatoni.

Also, altho' it was in any case offside, Fox's save early on was brilliant. He had a few good stops yesterday but I thought that early save easily the pick of the bunch.

Now Sunday evening, and just in from Dunfermline....

Thought it was a really good 0-0 draw, with both teams having several excellent chances. Fox's 1st-half save was breathtaking, and I thought that Doolan's header was going in all the way...

In fact we had a few more real chances than them, and just about everybody put in a real shift. It just wasn't working for Erskine, so McCall did the right thing.

Thought that Balatoni and McGowan both had excellent games, and Rowson never stopped either.

What a contrast between two substitutes: one youngster who got stuck in, looked dangerous, and was eager to get involved at every opportunity, and one old-timer, no longer interested, looked like a part-time pub league player, and didn't even think about running into space.

If I remember rightly Hinchcliffe played his last 1st team game at Dunfermline. Based on yesterday, I wouldn't at all be surprised (or upset) if the same wasn't true for Donnelly.

If I remember rightly Hinchcliffe played his last 1st team game at Dunfermline. Based on yesterday, I wouldn't at all be surprised (or upset) if the same wasn't true for Donnelly.

Donnelly was also the last Jags player to score at E End Pk. The real irony tho' is that that goal was scored by Sid digging deep and running direct at the Pars defence. I don't expect to see Donnelly featuring much between now and the end of the season. If he does I suspect it'll be down to an injury/suspension crisis rather than tactical.

Didn't think at the time Graham's barge in on Fox was that reckless. Film seems to back that up. I'd like to see us give a bit more attention to opponent goalies especially at corners.

Doubt too if Donnelly hadn't checked his run he'd have scored. Feel it was the predictability that angered fans. Btw Donnelly was far from alone with his lack of direction. Two players that otherwise had fine games (Rowson & McGowan) missed up on shooting oportunities on quite a few occasions.

I agree with Jaggernaut, it was quite a decent 0v0 and at no stage were we really out of the game. Poor decisions e.g. shooting and in particular through balls prevented us from really having a clear cut opportunity.

Erskine should have definetly hit the target with his chance and Doolan was very unlucky with his header off the post. He done really well to get his head on it.

McGowan was a real driving force at times for us and his presence and physique is something we need permanently in the team in my opinion. In middle of the park especially.

Jamie Campbell played well. He posed a threat on a couple of occasions, two good runs. The latter where he had ghosted past his marker and there was no movement whatsoever from anyone else, so the momentum was lost and the ball went backwards. The Dunfermline highlights show how close his shot was on goal. A clever curving shot to the far corner just a couple of inches too far.

Donnelly's decision to turn back and go backwards when he had the chance to shoot on goal was highly frustrating. Especially when the team had not created that many chances in the second half. It reminded me of Cairney's terrible judgement up at McDiarmid in the cup. There's just no excuse not to shoot on goal. You'd think that with nearly 20 years in full time football you would have some strength in your left foot to at least shoot across goal, with perhaps the goalie parrying the ball into an oncoming team mate for a tap-in.

He nearly cost us a goal too, with a ridiclous 25 yard pass across the pitch which Fox had to sprint to and clear to prevent a corner. After a really good year last year I think this should be his last.

Balatoni done well too. Scott Fox is fantastic.

A good battling point.

Edited by northernsoul

I agree with Jaggernaut, it was quite a decent 0v0 and at no stage were we really out of the game. Poor decisions e.g. shooting and in particular through balls prevented us from really having a clear cut opportunity.

Erskine should have definetly hit the target with his chance and Doolan was very unlucky with his header off the post. He done really well to get his head on it.

McGowan was a real driving force at times for us and his presence and physique is something we need permanently in the team in my opinion. In middle of the park especially.

Jamie Campbell played well. He posed a threat on a couple of occasions, two good runs. The latter where he had ghosted past his marker and there was no movement whatsoever from anyone else, so the momentum was lost and the ball went backwards. The Dunfermline highlights show how close his shot was on goal. A clever curving shot to the far corner just a couple of inches too far.

Donnelly's decision to turn back and go backwards when he had the chance to shoot on goal was highly frustrating. Especially when the team had not created that many chances in the second half. It reminded me of Cairney's terrible judgement up at McDiarmid in the cup. There's just no excuse not to shoot on goal. You'd think that with nearly 20 years in full time football you would have some strength in your left foot to at least shoot across goal, with perhaps the goalie parrying the ball into an oncoming team mate for a tap-in.

He nearly cost us a goal too, with a ridiclous 25 yard pass across the pitch which Fox had to sprint to and clear to prevent a corner. After a really good year last year I think this should be his last.

Balatoni done well too. Scott Fox is fantastic.

A good battling point.

I know McGowan is a Hearts player, not to sure of how long he has left on his contract - possibly a couple of years yet. But given that he is pretty much guaranteed a first team game here, and wit Hearts possibly cutting back and both Ryan and Hearts surely aware that there is far more chance of getting a first team game with us then you would hope we could come to some sort of permanent arrangement, but financially I guess its pretty unlikely.

I know McGowan is a Hearts player, not to sure of how long he has left on his contract - possibly a couple of years yet. But given that he is pretty much guaranteed a first team game here, and wit Hearts possibly cutting back and both Ryan and Hearts surely aware that there is far more chance of getting a first team game with us then you would hope we could come to some sort of permanent arrangement, but financially I guess its pretty unlikely.

A couple of his surging runs through the middle were superb. At each one I immediately wished he was a permanent member of the squad!

Edited by Jaggernaut

Yes unlikley. Less unlikely could be an extended loan deal for next season, provided Hearts were willing for us only to pay a part of his wages.

McGowan has two years left on his Hearts contract - http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/ryan-mcgowan-partick_2241487_40931

"The club's former U19 captain made his senior debut in May 2008 against Gretna and shortly afterwards, he signed a new five-year contract."

I wasn't meaning McGowan in particular, there's no chance of us getting him permanently. Just someone similar.