Just In

angry gaz

Same story as many other games, we played well but could not score.

Queens were on top first half us in the second half.

Boyle, Archibald and Rowson played well for us. Jamie Campbell apart from a few mistakes looks good. Thought Fraser should have been on earlier, he did not have much chance to make an impact but had a few good moments.

Why can’t Flannigan play the way he did in the second half more often?

Edited by Alan Murray

Thought we just edged it although a draw was probably a fair result.

Lack of chances for both teams. Flannigan should have scored in the first half but ballooned over the bar. Hutton made a "television save" from a Doolan header and Fraser didn't get enough power or accuracy behind another header late in the game.

Grehan had a good game but one moment displayed the disdain some Thistle fans have for the bloke; he made a great turn, spinning the ball round on his left foot, which was met with silence from most, and proceeded to try to play in Doolan but slightly overhit the pass, which was greeted with instant derision. Some people seem totally unwilling to give the guy a chance and jump on any opportunity to criticise him.

Paddy was probably my man of the match. Flannigan had a decent game but remains a very frustrating player, in my opinion. Erskine was rotten and was deservedly hooked. Admittedly, the pitch isn't conducive to his style of play but he was failing to carry out simple things and I noticed McCall having a word with him as he sat on the bench. Kinniburgh had a solid return, good to have him back. Campbell was lively when he came on and hopefully we'll see more of him in the upcoming games.

Anybody who wonders why our attendences are down should be made to watch that game again. Absolute waste of an afternoon and £17.

Agree with Armand. Complete muppet behind me almost had a fit everytime Grehan got the ball. Had a go at him for every single thing. No praise for doing anything right. Was wetting himself everytime Erskine got the ball though because "he's so unpredictable"

Grehan was 100 times better than Erskine today but still got abuse. Some fans need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Edited by Phoenix

Anybody who wonders why our attendences are down should be made to watch that game again. Absolute waste of an afternoon and £17.

Agree with Armand. Complete muppet behind me almost had a fit everytime Grehan got the ball. Had a go at him for every single thing. No praise for doing anything right. Was wetting himself everytime Erskine got the ball though because "he's so unpredictable"

Grehan was 100 times better than Erskine today but still got abuse. Some fans need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Abuse will not help Grehan improve. If it is OTT, the stewards should take action.

Abuse will not help Grehan improve. If it is OTT, the stewards should take action.

100% agree with you and armand. The abuse that Grehan seems to get will not help his confidence one bit. Does, however, seem from the reports that people post on here that he seems to be rising above it and at least trying things on the park.

The lad was never brought into the club for his scoring ability. Yes he should get more and i'm sure he feels the same, but he always stated from day one that he was more of the type of player who set up chances for others and linked up the play.

100% agree with you and armand. The abuse that Grehan seems to get will not help his confidence one bit. Does, however, seem from the reports that people post on here that he seems to be rising above it and at least trying things on the park.

The lad was never brought into the club for his scoring ability. Yes he should get more and i'm sure he feels the same, but he always stated from day one that he was more of the type of player who set up chances for others and linked up the play.

Blah Blah Blah !!

This forum like others is all about opinions and an opportunity to express them good or bad.

I do not condone abuse of any player wearing the red and yellow but I reserve the right to express my view.

In my opinion he is a waste of a jersey and his scoring record alone speaks for itself !

Bad Points

Game was turgid-65 mins on clock before a serious save is made( save for cameras) it the only save i think

Pitch is an eyesore-doesnt make for good football no wonder people are staying away in droves

£17 for that pish- see above post

Good Points

My Beer was cold

My steak pie was nice n warm

The sun was out

Blah Blah Blah !!

This forum like others is all about opinions and an opportunity to express them good or bad.

I do not condone abuse of any player wearing the red and yellow but I reserve the right to express my view.

In my opinion he is a waste of a jersey and his scoring record alone speaks for itself !

you most definately do. Surely by the very arguement you make to justify your view on Grehan, you surely respect the view I or others may have about him to ?

The point Armand was making was today there was an opportunity for people to appreciate a good piece of skill from grehan today, but most chose not to but to critisise the misplaced pass. Would it not be better to at least try give him some encouragement ?

you most definately do. Surely by the very arguement you make to justify your view on Grehan, you surely respect the view I or others may have about him to ?

The point Armand was making was today there was an opportunity for people to appreciate a good piece of skill from grehan today, but most chose not to but to critisise the misplaced pass. Would it not be better to at least try give him some encouragement ?

I have like many others given Martin Grehan much encouragement.

This has turned to frustration and a realism over the last number of games that he will never make it.

Martin Grehan does have some nice touches / flicks / turns etc . What we need is a player who scores goals. Sadly the big man doesn't cut it with me.

This has turned to frustration and a realism over the last number of games that he will never make it.

Martin Grehan does have some nice touches / flicks / turns etc . What we need is a player who scores goals. Sadly the big man doesn't cut it with me.

Sounds exactly how I feel about Erskine

My point is, Grehan was never brought to the club to be a goalscorer. He was seen as someone who would provide chances for others. I do accept, he should have more goals than he does and i'm sure he feels the same.

totally agree with you though. We do need a player who scores goals. We need someone up front to be a regular goalscorer and the midfield to get more goals than they currently do.

End of season stuff, even if the pitch was like a bowling green I'm not convinced the football would necessarily be much better, seen far too many games like that this season with not a lot happening. Also did someone forget to paint the lines, barely visible to me.

Not the best of games i'll agree, and sadly I think that the state the pitch is in thats pretty much what will be served up between now and the end of the season. BUT 'waste of an afternoon'? I can't say I enjoyed the whole 90 minutes, but win, lose or draw I never see supporting my team as a wasted afternoon. This season's been up and down but i'll be gutted in May when the footie is over and i have to find something else to occupy my time on a Saturday.

I suppose when you get two sides playing 3-5-2 the chances of a stalemate are increased many fold. Factor in a team (Queens) that, for want of a better description, couldn't be arsed trying to win the game and the smart money should've been on a goalless draw. Queens appear to have a squad of players that by and large are just going thru the motions. Witness arguably the best player on the park, Bob Harris, saunter up countless times to take a long throw as if his side were winning by a handful and then wander back to a defensive position and you could see the lack of urgency we were facing today.

We possibly deserved to win as we at least looked like a draw would be upsetting us but when our most aggressive non defender is Flannigan then getting three points was always going to be an uphill struggle.

When two sides each play three central defenders and neither side either changes formation or at least pushes one centreback forward then a goalless draw is a most likely outcome. McCall is probably being truthful when he says tonight that "we certainly haven't given up" but if he continues playing three centrebacks who rarely cross the half way line in open play then it's hardly any surprise fans will be giving up for the season.

Not the best of games i'll agree, and sadly I think that the state the pitch is in thats pretty much what will be served up between now and the end of the season. BUT 'waste of an afternoon'? I can't say I enjoyed the whole 90 minutes, but win, lose or draw I never see supporting my team as a wasted afternoon. This season's been up and down but i'll be gutted in May when the footie is over and i have to find something else to occupy my time on a Saturday.

/quote]

Totally Agree

The one plus point of today was more people are realising that those who continually pick on Grehan are absolute idiots. I think some people need to appreciate that there's no outstanding strikers in the 1st division and having Doolan performing well with Grehan supporting him is about the best you can get in this division if compared to other teams. I noticed that it's probably the same people who defend Erskine being woefully off form that lambast Grehan if those I sat in front of today and at East End Park are anything to go by.

I sat near the Queens fans today and one thing I noticed is the stewards were clamping down on any Thistle fan in the kids zone who said anything remotely near a swear word yet completely ignored th Queens fans who spent the 90mins criticising either McCall or the QoS board in less than complimentary terms. If Beattie and the board are thinking of saving money by putting away fans in the JHS then maybe they should consider moving the kids zone, preferably swapping it with the Shed.

The one plus point of today was more people are realising that those who continually pick on Grehan are absolute idiots. I think some people need to appreciate that there's no outstanding strikers in the 1st division and having Doolan performing well with Grehan supporting him is about the best you can get in this division if compared to other teams. I noticed that it's probably the same people who defend Erskine being woefully off form that lambast Grehan if those I sat in front of today and at East End Park are anything to go by.

I sat near the Queens fans today and one thing I noticed is the stewards were clamping down on any Thistle fan in the kids zone who said anything remotely near a swear word yet completely ignored th Queens fans who spent the 90mins criticising either McCall or the QoS board in less than complimentary terms. If Beattie and the board are thinking of saving money by putting away fans in the JHS then maybe they should consider moving the kids zone, preferably swapping it with the Shed.

I e-mailed Mr Beattie that very suggestion 3 times and did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

As for the game, other than for 20 minutes or so after young Campbell came on, the game was dreadful and one of the worst I have seen for quite some time. The pitch is a disgrace, the long ball does not work and there was little creativity in the team.

My thoughts from yesterday

1. Grehan had a decent game, his hold up play is better than any other target man we've had recently.

2. 5 at the back at home to a poor QOTS team? Every time Grehan or Doolan got the ball upfront they were completely isolated due to no runners from midfield. McCall needs to get his finger out.

3. Erskine was hopeless just like he has been for 80% of the season.

4. Jamie Campbell looks strong and fairly composed.

5. Rowson's work rate is tremendous, his finishing is woeful!

6. Balatoni and Kinniburgh each have a bombscare moment in them

7. willie McClaren is a decent player who I'd like to see at Firhill.

I suppose when you get two sides playing 3-5-2 the chances of a stalemate are increased many fold. Factor in a team (Queens) that, for want of a better description, couldn't be arsed trying to win the game and the smart money should've been on a goalless draw. Queens appear to have a squad of players that by and large are just going thru the motions. Witness arguably the best player on the park, Bob Harris, saunter up countless times to take a long throw as if his side were winning by a handful and then wander back to a defensive position and you could see the lack of urgency we were facing today.

We possibly deserved to win as we at least looked like a draw would be upsetting us but when our most aggressive non defender is Flannigan then getting three points was always going to be an uphill struggle.

When two sides each play three central defenders and neither side either changes formation or at least pushes one centreback forward then a goalless draw is a most likely outcome. McCall is probably being truthful when he says tonight that "we certainly haven't given up" but if he continues playing three centrebacks who rarely cross the half way line in open play then it's hardly any surprise fans will be giving up for the season.

Defensively it was another excellent display. But that's the big problem: it was yet another defensive display at home against a team we should be able to beat. Even the substitutions were simply to replace like for like, with no attempt to try something different to get the winner.

Positives: defence was excellent; but as they were over-manned, that's no surprise. Archie would have been my MotM. When he came on, Jamie Campbell again looked like a real handful. Think we have a right good prospect there. Boyle came onto an excellent game in the 2nd half. Felt sorry for Grehan, who won plenty in the air, and was faced with having to hold the ball up on his own while support took an eternity to arrive. He and Doolan together up front are no Bone and Coulston, that's for sure.

Negatives: The pitch. About the worst I've ever seen. The atmosphere: surely the quietest for many years. The quality of the football on show was so poor that even the excellent QoS fans were numbed into silence in the 2nd half (anybody else find it funny that they were all singing the praises of Kenny Brannigan?).

Erskine: another stinker. He can do much better, but at the moment he's off the boil.

Our lack of shots on goal: got the usual sky-high effort (Flannigan) and then a pathetic past-the-post trundler (Rowson?), and that was it.

I don't believe my eyes deceived me, so I'm fairly certain the ball bobbled badly just before Flannigan shot.

There were plenty of miss-kicks due to bobbling yesterday. I'm afraid that's what's in store between now and the end of the season.

The state of the pitch isn't a valid excuse for some of the terrible passing though, either over-hit, or played behind a player so that he had to turn and run back to collect it.