Choo Choo.

Wee Gus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you need to book the bus tickets in advance??

Naw, it's just a normal public service bus like the FirstBuses in Glasgow.

How much is the train down?

Open return from Glasgow is £60 but should be able to get it for £40 or less by buying 2 singles.

I'm none too clever reading timetables but it looks to me that you can get a direct train from Edinburgh to Morpeth for £33 return. Morpeth is a good bit closer to Blyth than Newcastle. I would assume there's direct buses Morpeth to Blyth

10.05 Edinburgh

11.18 Morpeth

20.00 Morpeth

21.20 Edinburgh

I'm sure there will be buses, but hopefully not like the one from Cramlington to Blyth last time. It detoured into every housing estate in a rambling three mile odyssey. The buses are Arriva and cost a fortune too, so if there's a squad it's probs cheaper getting a taxi.

I'm none too clever reading timetables but it looks to me that you can get a direct train from Edinburgh to Morpeth for £33 return. Morpeth is a good bit closer to Blyth than Newcastle. I would assume there's direct buses Morpeth to Blyth

10.05 Edinburgh

11.18 Morpeth

20.00 Morpeth

21.20 Edinburgh

I'm sure there will be buses, but hopefully not like the one from Cramlington to Blyth last time. It detoured into every housing estate in a rambling three mile odyssey. The buses are Arriva and cost a fortune too, so if there's a squad it's probs cheaper getting a taxi.

See what you mean. A No2 or No2a bus takes 46 minutes. Morpeth & Blyth are only 12 miles apart. Plenty of buses tho' and Morpeth from what I can mind is a nice wee town. Given the choice I'd rather go that way than into Newcastle.

This looks to have turned into a weekend in Whitley for us.

is whitley bay near the train station?

our groups thinkin of staying over, but carrying bags about then having to go a dump the stuff before going to blyth is a bit of a pain in the arse..

I was hoping one of the buses would be running too as it's looking like the only way I'd be able to go since I can't book trains in advance until I know if I'll be off work.

As far as I was aware drinking on the bus is perfectly legal once you're out of Scotland so a drink might not be out of the question either.

I was hoping one of the buses would be running too as it's looking like the only way I'd be able to go since I can't book trains in advance until I know if I'll be off work.

As far as I was aware drinking on the bus is perfectly legal once you're out of Scotland so a drink might not be out of the question either.

And of course there is considerable debate about where the border precisely lies.......

is whitley bay near the train station?

our groups thinkin of staying over, but carrying bags about then having to go a dump the stuff before going to blyth is a bit of a pain in the arse..

It's a wee bit out of town but it has a Metro station, as does the train station you arrive in.

How you get from Whitley Bay to Blyth I don't know, not checked that.

Do I need to buy the tickets online? or can I go down to Queen Street and pay for them there?

Prices seem to have gone up now. 8.45am and 9am look booked up on raileasy.co.uk.

£58 for the 9am single from Glasgow to Newcastle on the trainline.com. The 8.45am is £24.50.

I'm rubbish at booking this sort of stuff.

Do I need to buy the tickets online? or can I go down to Queen Street and pay for them there?

Prices seem to have gone up now. 8.45am and 9am look booked up on raileasy.co.uk.

£58 for the 9am single from Glasgow to Newcastle on the trainline.com. The 8.45am is £24.50.

Central is better than Queen Street for booking tickets, Queen Street tell yuo to bolt at peak times. Just tell the guy in the booking office by the main entrance where your going and when and he finds you the cheapest ticket.

With advance tickets as the cheaper ones sell out the prices go up, as for websites, never heard of raileasy TBH, i usually use thetrainline.com for prices for here (i can only buy discounted open returns with my pass, so advance dont come into play)

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the score after the game, is everyone staying in blyth to drink or going through to newcastle? be class if we could take over a pub right in the middle of the toon.

Good idea. I'd assume those who are heading back to Glasgow later in the day will head to the social club and those who are staying in Newcastle or somewhere else, for the weekend might head into to Newcastle.

Who knows though.

Do we get the buses to Blyth from Haymarket Bus Station?