Rowson Re-Signs

Allan Heron

We need someone who can play left back week in, week out, and someone to provide cover for the middle. Neither Robbo or Balatoni would be a first-choice left back so we can only accommodate one of them.

Flannigan is decent as a midfielder or wide forward so also gives some flexibility. Probably deserves a one year extension.

I like Hodge but don't think we have space for him for next season-he's not flexible enough. Shame-thought he could be a great wee player.

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need someone who can play left back week in, week out, and someone to provide cover for the middle. Neither Robbo or Balatoni would be a first-choice left back so we can only accommodate one of them.

Flannigan is decent as a midfielder or wide forward so also gives some flexibility. Probably deserves a one year extension.

I like Hodge but don't think we have space for him for next season-he's not flexible enough. Shame-thought he could be a great wee player.

I have some sympathy for Hodge too but I think there's a good chnace Bannigan will turn out to be the player we thought Hodge might be.

If Cairney finds his old form and Campbell and MacBeth continue to progress then we could have a terrific midfield group with lots of options. But we do need to get a couple of defenders in.

I'm not sure if I am the only one who thinks this, but is a two-year deal perhaps a bit much for Rowson? As good as he is, he IS 35 after all.

I'm not saying it's bad we have re-signed him, but perhaps a one-year contract may have sufficed and then maybe see how he feels fitness wise at the end of this season. Glad he has signed up though, starting to garner some hope for the team this season under Jackie, though I am not going to rush to make any predictions.

I'm not sure if I am the only one who thinks this, but is a two-year deal perhaps a bit much for Rowson? As good as he is, he IS 35 after all.

I'm not saying it's bad we have re-signed him, but perhaps a one-year contract may have sufficed and then maybe see how he feels fitness wise at the end of this season. Glad he has signed up though, starting to garner some hope for the team this season under Jackie, though I am not going to rush to make any predictions.

I'm usually one of the first to complain when I think the team has too many ageing players, but when you see how fit Rowser is, there should be little concern about him retaining that fitness for at least the next season, maybe even beyond.

The two-year deal might have been what he demanded, or else he was offski. I reckon JM has got this one right.

I'm usually one of the first to complain when I think the team has too many ageing players, but when you see how fit Rowser is, there should be little concern about him retaining that fitness for at least the next season, maybe even beyond.

The two-year deal might have been what he demanded, or else he was offski. I reckon JM has got this one right.

Even if his legs do go before the two year is up he'd be more than a useful squad player. An ideal guy to bring on as a sub, good influence to have around and could stroll thru 90 mins in a central defensive position if required.

But even if two years was proved to be too much, something I really doubt, I've a suspicion that it won't be costly. In other words I think the contract will be extremely flexible.

sorry you've lost me !

Just stating facts as reported by the club only last week. Take it you missed that.

No. Apart from Lindsay, McNamara has only signed up players who were part of last season's squad. He has said he wants to re-sign Flannigan and Balatoni. If we are to challenge Dundee and Falkirk, Jackie needs to bring in better players.

No. Apart from Lindsay, McNamara has only signed up players who were part of last season's squad. He has said he wants to re-sign Flannigan and Balatoni. If we are to challenge Dundee and Falkirk, Jackie needs to bring in better players.

Falkirk would be lucky to muster a decent 5-a-side team as things stand.

We're still only in the 1st week of June. There is plenty of time to see if we can bring in better players. What there isn't, however, is the finances. We are going to need to see a boost in season ticket sales (I've bought two this season, first time I've been able to get a season ticket in about ten years). We need to generate as much income as possible.....through dvd sales and photo's being purchased from "Fun Day" would help. I can't but feel aggrieved about the fun day. It was an ideal opportunity for us to turn out on mass and generate some much needed funds for Jackie.....too many let the weather on the day put them off or just didn't bother......yet we complain that we aren't signing new players.

For me , we love to point the finger at the board for lack of ambition, yet when we are asked to do our bit, we tend to miss the opportunity.

We're still only in the 1st week of June. There is plenty of time to see if we can bring in better players. What there isn't, however, is the finances. We are going to need to see a boost in season ticket sales (I've bought two this season, first time I've been able to get a season ticket in about ten years). We need to generate as much income as possible.....through dvd sales and photo's being purchased from "Fun Day" would help. I can't but feel aggrieved about the fun day. It was an ideal opportunity for us to turn out on mass and generate some much needed funds for Jackie.....too many let the weather on the day put them off or just didn't bother......yet we complain that we aren't signing new players.

For me , we love to point the finger at the board for lack of ambition, yet when we are asked to do our bit, we tend to miss the opportunity.

I believe that there are shareholders who got their shares for free. There are two easy ways to get money into the club. The first is that these shareholders agree to their shares being cancelled without compensation. The second is that they agree to sell shares and donate the revenue to the club to pay off the debts that they ran up. I would happily invest under such a scheme but refuse to subsidise those who are responsible for our current financial mess.

I believe that there are shareholders who got their shares for free. There are two easy ways to get money into the club. The first is that these shareholders agree to their shares being cancelled without compensation. The second is that they agree to sell shares and donate the revenue to the club to pay off the debts that they ran up. I would happily invest under such a scheme but refuse to subsidise those who are responsible for our current financial mess.

and therein lies the problem.

If you refuse to "subsidise" as you put , those who are responsible for our financial mess then don't complain that we ain't making the signings that you want.

Hughes and Cowan and others are not solely responsible for our financial situation. We are all going to have to play our part in the progression of the club.

I'll get shot down in flames for this but to be honest I'm way past caring. If people are just wanting to point the finger and complain but do absolutely nothing to help the club, then they have no right to call themselves supporters of Partick Thistle.

My own father refuses to ever go to a Jags game again, purely due to what happened to us at the away game at Stirling. I've had many an arguement with him over that, as his actions hurt the club at a time when the support is needed the most. He will not budge. He does, however, send in contributions for things like the "fun day".

There have been plenty of mistakes made in the past, but by all of us. If Partick Thistle is to progress and prosper then we have to move on from the past and all make an effort towards a brighter future.

Cowan, Hughes and others stepped up to the plate at a time when no one else would and we are here today due to that. I will always be grateful to that. Some very stupid and costly mistakes were made by them and they hurt Partick Thistle as a result. That also should never be forgotten. Partick Thistle is bigger than them, it's bigger than the lot who turned on my dad. It's bigger than you and me.

We have an opportunity to make a difference and to take Partick Thistle forward and be a club we can all be proud of......or we can just sit behind a computer screen, blame everyone and anyone but ourselves, contibute nothing and piss the opportunity up a tree.

Should you do the latter, don't damn well complain that Partick Thistle didn't progress as you wanted it to.

and therein lies the problem.

If you refuse to "subsidise" as you put , those who are responsible for our financial mess then don't complain that we ain't making the signings that you want.

Hughes and Cowan and others are not solely responsible for our financial situation. We are all going to have to play our part in the progression of the club.

I'll get shot down in flames for this but to be honest I'm way past caring. If people are just wanting to point the finger and complain but do absolutely nothing to help the club, then they have no right to call themselves supporters of Partick Thistle.

My own father refuses to ever go to a Jags game again, purely due to what happened to us at the away game at Stirling. I've had many an arguement with him over that, as his actions hurt the club at a time when the support is needed the most. He will not budge. He does, however, send in contributions for things like the "fun day".

There have been plenty of mistakes made in the past, but by all of us. If Partick Thistle is to progress and prosper then we have to move on from the past and all make an effort towards a brighter future.

Cowan, Hughes and others stepped up to the plate at a time when no one else would and we are here today due to that. I will always be grateful to that. Some very stupid and costly mistakes were made by them and they hurt Partick Thistle as a result. That also should never be forgotten. Partick Thistle is bigger than them, it's bigger than the lot who turned on my dad. It's bigger than you and me.

We have an opportunity to make a difference and to take Partick Thistle forward and be a club we can all be proud of......or we can just sit behind a computer screen, blame everyone and anyone but ourselves, contibute nothing and piss the opportunity up a tree.

Should you do the latter, don't damn well complain that Partick Thistle didn't progress as you wanted it to.

Understand where you`re coming from but disagree.

Whilst those supposed guardians of the club hold onto the shares they were given as stewards, the club cannot realistically profit by a share issue or the sale of existing shares.

Edited by hebridean jag

Understand where you`re coming from but disagree. Whilst those supposed guardians of the club hold onto the shares they were given as stewards, the club cannot realistically profit by a share issue or the sale of existing shares. Not only will I refuse to take part in something which I have been advocating for many years, I will do my best to highlight what in effect is lawful misappropriation by persons in a position of trust and to sissuade my fellow supporters from taking part. To do anything else is condoning the actions of those who have done us wrong.

Exactly. I am sure that there would many fans who would invest thousands or tens of thousands if those "stewards" were to give up their free shares. I would put in a very substantial five figure sum but I will not bail out those responsible for 7 figure debt that they ran up. If the club went into administration, I would join a consortium to save it.

Exactly. I am sure that there would many fans who would invest thousands or tens of thousands if those "stewards" were to give up their free shares. I would put in a very substantial five figure sum but I will not bail out those responsible for 7 figure debt that they ran up. If the club went into administration, I would join a consortium to save it.

and your very blinkered to think they were solely responsible for the running up of that debt. We should never forget the role the SPL played in the running up of that debt. It's easy to just point the finger at Hughes, Cowan and McMaster, but the SPL shafted us.

I to want them to give the shares back. I think they have served their time, done some good but a lot of bad and them lingering about causes more derision between the club and the fans.

I don't, however, think whether they are there or not, justifies some not putting a penny into the club.

If you chose, as is your right , not to contribute anything to the club while Cowan, Hughes and McMaster still have shares, I don't think you have any right to complain about who is signed.

The financial position we are in is not entirely their fault....they hold some of the blame that is for sure but to make them out to be the entire fault is just looking for a scapegoat.

Can't we get one on loan? or if our budget won't stretch that far, how about a scapemouse?

OK it IS getting late...time to go home soon.

The Scape of Good Hope might encourage some optimism about promotion.

The Great Scape might be handy if we are fighting relegation.

The Scape of Good Hope might encourage some optimism about promotion.

The Great Scape might be handy if we are fighting relegation.

I'll get on that right away :thumbsup2: ... I'll be burrowing under the bing ... who'll help me hide the used earth? Wooden horses on the pitch anyone?

and your very blinkered to think they were solely responsible for the running up of that debt. We should never forget the role the SPL played in the running up of that debt. It's easy to just point the finger at Hughes, Cowan and McMaster, but the SPL shafted us.

I to want them to give the shares back. I think they have served their time, done some good but a lot of bad and them lingering about causes more derision between the club and the fans.

I don't, however, think whether they are there or not, justifies some not putting a penny into the club.

If you chose, as is your right , not to contribute anything to the club while Cowan, Hughes and McMaster still have shares, I don't think you have any right to complain about who is signed.

The financial position we are in is not entirely their fault....they hold some of the blame that is for sure but to make them out to be the entire fault is just looking for a scapegoat.

You`re missing the point. Their role in the club`s downward slide and current financial plight are an entire irrelevance.

The relevant point is that these characters were deemed as stewards of the club and given shares as such as a gesture to show that the club`s future was in safe hands. Everyone assumed that if and when they moved on the shares would be passed to the successors.

Now that human nature and greed have made this impossible you are suggesting that we put an actual price on these shares (other than the nominal face value)thus opening a market for these creatures.

This has nothing to do with blame for the past. As soon as the shares are restored to the club I`ll spend more than a few bob but until then not a penny.