1971 Cup Final

thistledome

:fan: It's hard to believe that it's nearly 40 yrs ago since our famous :fan: League Cup Victory over Celtic. :fan: I was just 16 then and I was a Paper Boy and one of the things I did back then was to cut out and kep all the Saturday and Sunday paper headlines and I've still got them all and I was thinking about sharing them with you all when the 23rd October comes along :fan:If I have some trouble posting them then I'll email them to the Admin dept who can post them for me for you all to see and read. :fan:

:fan: It's hard to believe that it's nearly 40 yrs ago since our famous :fan: League Cup Victory over Celtic. :fan: I was just 16 then and I was a Paper Boy and one of the things I did back then was to cut out and kep all the Saturday and Sunday paper headlines and I've still got them all and I was thinking about sharing them with you all when the 23rd October comes along :fan:If I have some trouble posting them then I'll email them to the Admin dept who can post them for me for you all to see and read. :fan:

Brilliant. Would love to see them all.

I've also got a fair number of newspaper pages, but they're now worse for wear.

Fourteen years old. It was a lovely day and went to a party that was rearranged to take place in the fields on the other side of the railway (i.e. in Summerston before it was built). Spent the evening with a fair intake of booze and rolling about the grass with a young lady.

Those were the days B)

Hate when this comes up as I missed the game. If I remember rightly I saw the Who play in Glasgow midweek but then had to go down to London for the weekend.

Was that the first or the second show at the Green's? If it was the first then I was there too. Jeez, what a week that was!!

I queued up all night for tickets for The Who. Those were the days when you got tickets out of the House Of Clydesdale on Sauchiehall Street - the only place where you could get tickets as well. Was at a party the night before and left to get the last bus into town to join the queue.

1971 was quite a year!

Was that the first or the second show at the Green's? If it was the first then I was there too. Jeez, what a week that was!!

I queued up all night for tickets for The Who. Those were the days when you got tickets out of the House Of Clydesdale on Sauchiehall Street - the only place where you could get tickets as well. Was at a party the night before and left to get the last bus into town to join the queue.

1971 was quite a year!

Get a bit confused as I saw the Who a few times round then. I do remember queuing all night for tickets one of the times. Way behind us in the queue a shop window got smashed. Not sure if it was vandalism or just crowd pressure but it did get a bit hairy at times.

No idea, Allan, which show it was.

The club should definitely do something to celebrate the 40th anniversary while most of the squad and the manager are still alive. Sorry to be morbid but it's true!

Excellent idea. They could base everything around 40 and 4-1:

£40 dinner

£40 a pint (OK, £4 a pint)

Buy 4 drinks (raffle tickets, dinner places, etc.), get 1 free...

In fact, for the match against Falkirk on Sat 22nd Oct (and we beat them in the semi), the buy-4-get-1-free might be a good idea for the 50/50 draw.

10 months old. :)

My dad couldnt get the day off work, but my grandad went with a few friends that were celtic fans. At half time my grandad's friends dragged him out of the ground and he never saw the rest of the game. lol

Dad was a butcher and the shop didnt have a radio so he had no idea of the score. A woman came in and my dad asked if she knew the cup final score so far. "4-0 son" was the reply. My dad confessed to her that he was a little disappointed as he had hoped the jags would have put up a better performance. "No son, 4-0 to Thistle!!!"

Am sure you can imagine how the rest of his day went!!! :)

Here's a daft wee irrelevant point: we were nearly all in the Rangers end and that mob still had to be in there with us instead of letting us have it and them have the rest of the ground. Ok, it had a shed-like cover, but why couldn't they stay away for the day? Was it because they fancied a rammy with us? There was quite a bit of bother with them kicking off with Jags fans at half time and into the 2nd half. :thumbdown:

Despite that, I'll never let it cloud my memories of the great day. :)

Best day of my life, I was 23. (Hope my wife doesn't read this). I was working in Falkirk in the morning and got the train back to Glasgow about 12.30. It was full of Celtic fans who saw my scarf and said "How many will we beat you by?" I told them it will be an easy 3-1 win for Thistle. They all laughed.

There was no seggregation in those days except for old firm matches so Celtic fans were everywhere. When the third goal went in, the noise made it seem that the Mount Florida end and the stand were actually full of Thistle fans. Then Glavin went off for treatment for an injury - he probably hurt himself when he put Jimmy Johnstone a few feet up in the air. I was hoping that we would not concede a goal while he was off. But even with the ten men Jimmy Bone slotted in number four. Glavin came back on and it soon half-time. It was only then I thought we might win the game.

Get a bit confused as I saw the Who a few times round then. I do remember queuing all night for tickets one of the times. Way behind us in the queue a shop window got smashed. Not sure if it was vandalism or just crowd pressure but it did get a bit hairy at times.

No idea, Allan, which show it was.

Google is my friend. The first show was 21 October 1971. They added a second night and it was at the end of the Uk tour on 9 November.

Setlist for your delectation:-

"I Can't Explain"

"Substitute"

"Summertime Blues"

"My Wife"

"Baba O'Riley"

"Bargain"

"Behind Blue Eyes"

"Won't Get Fooled Again"

"Baby Don't You Do It"

"Magic Bus"

"It's The Jags"

"Overture"

"Amazing Journey"

"Sparks"

"Pinball Wizard"

"See Me, Feel Me"

"My Generation"

"Naked Eye"

That may not be entirely accurate ;)

Edited by Allan Heron

:thinking: How about the Jags putting on a anniversary Day or Night in the Alan Rough Lounge and going back to 1971 prices. Waht a Day or Night that would be :cheers::clapping::drink2:

:thumbsup2:

Fantastic idea. I'll have some of that. I was too young to drink then, and didn't go back to Firhill after the match anyway. I floated home from Hampden back to Cadder where I was living at the time. The walk home probably took hours - I've no idea - I was completely numb with what I'd just seen.