Craigan Testimonial Match

stuart_adam

It's not been 15 seasons since he left, he left in 2003 and was at Motherwell before joining The Jags. I was gutted when he left, especially in the circumstances as Motherwell should not have been allowed to sign players IMO. Anyway, remember the last game in 2000/2001 and he scored what I think was his only goal for us against Stenny in a 4-0 home win and he went nuts, throwing his shirt off. The POTY dance was that night and he was leading the singing. Had a picture taken that night with my mates and Paul McGrillen(RIP) with the trophy.

Yeah hopes he makes a lot of money from the game. Gave us 3 great years service. I remember his goal well. Thumping header. Pity he got booked for taking off his shirt !!!

Can't remember which country it was, but there was a bit in last month's Four Four Two about a player who scored and whipped off his shirt to reveal...........

.... an identical shirt!!! He still got booked!

Doesn't explain why Craigan, Burns, Hardie and Archie were all out of contract. The Collins appointment was just a side issue. Had Lambie/the Board put them on even two year contracts at the start of their last season they would undoubtedly have been Jags players during the Collins/Britton/Whyte season.

I tend to think it was a side issue as well. A nice, convenient excuse to use for players who were probably all going for more money.

It would appear that the foolishness of the one year approach has been put to one side - we have a different challenge now as many of the contracts expire at the same time. Ideally, you want to get a more even spread of contract expiry dates (albeit that you'll be looking to extend before that's reached).

I tend to think it was a side issue as well. A nice, convenient excuse to use for players who were probably all going for more money.

It would appear that the foolishness of the one year approach has been put to one side - we have a different challenge now as many of the contracts expire at the same time. Ideally, you want to get a more even spread of contract expiry dates (albeit that you'll be looking to extend before that's reached).

Further to that we had the well publicised wage ceiling that season. That in itself wasn't necessarily wrong tho' crowing about it seemed daft. As in any job if the wages are poor you'll only stay put if you know that job is relatively secure. Paying lowest of wages on shortest of contracts was always going to cause problems.

Further to that we had the well publicised wage ceiling that season. That in itself wasn't necessarily wrong tho' crowing about it seemed daft. As in any job if the wages are poor you'll only stay put if you know that job is relatively secure. Paying lowest of wages on shortest of contracts was always going to cause problems.

Well, we were the best run team in Scottish football <_<

Fair play to him but did he not do a bit of a Judas on us going back to the team that had discarded him after we had made him into a bit of a player would like to have seen him stay but he chose to leave. Did he not disrespect Lambie stating he learned more off Sammy McIlroy in one training session that he did off Lambie in his time at Thistle - UNFORGIVABLE (in my book)

Did he not disrespect Lambie stating he learned more off Sammy McIlroy in one training session that he did off Lambie in his time at Thistle - UNFORGIVABLE (in my book)

Would be surprised if any of this is true. I've heard him on the radio still referring to Thistle as "we "us" etc.

As for the "Judas" thing..... I worked for the Council for 20 years. 5 years ago I left to work for a vol org. If the Council wanted me back and were upping my salary I'd move back there in an instant. Would that make me a Judas? No. Not in my opinion. I'd be doing the right thing for my family and me. It's time folk started seeing football players as professionals instead of some sort of superfans who bleed red & yellow and who are honoured to playout the boyhood dreams to play for the mighty Jags.

Craigan was a superb player. Has more than a soft spot for the Thistle. Could have easily made more money from a testimonial with shellik boys club reserves (if you believe some of the folk on here) or a r*ngers XI.

As for the "Judas" thing..... I worked for the Council for 20 years. 5 years ago I left to work for a vol org. If the Council wanted me back and were upping my salary I'd move back there in an instant. Would that make me a Judas? No. Not in my opinion. I'd be doing the right thing for my family and me. It's time folk started seeing football players as professionals instead of some sort of superfans who bleed red & yellow and who are honoured to playout the boyhood dreams to play for the mighty Jags.

Absolutely. Let's be blunt, there's absolutely no one who could afford to decide to stay at Firhill if other more lucrative offers are available.