Craigan Special

jagscast

Hello all. The Jagscast will be getting a wee pre-season runabout tomorrow when we head to Fir Park. We want to hear all about your memories and thoughts of Stephen Craigan. Post them here or on our Facebook page.

Cheers,

VBL

x

Stevie was I'd say the best out and out centre back we've had since Willie Jamieson. In an era obsessed with the ball-playing "fancy myself as a cultured midfielder" centre back, Stevie stuck to, and excelled in, the basics of defending. Watching him come out every game and clap the fans more than any player I've ever saw really restored my faith that footballers care about the fans, and when he celebrated every win with the fans like he'd just won a trophy, with the fists pumping and veins bulging, it only reinforced my feelings. It is absolutely no coincidence that Thistle's rise to the SPL coincided with Stevie's arrival, and for me, was the best player of the Lambie revival years despite the excellence of the likes of Hardie, Lennon, Paterson, and McLean.

I am so proud of his achievements post-Thistle, playing a huge part in the many successful results Northern Ireland have had in the past few years, aswell as establishing himself as one of the best defenders in the SPL.

I believe he could have an excellent career in the media when he retires, but I also fancy Craigan to make a good manager one day, hopefully with the Jags!!

Seems we wanted to let Craigan score so desperately that we couldn't wait past 2 minutes.

In all seriousness though, this looks close to our starting line up, with Paton replaced by Campbell, so how they play tonight will probably show what to expect from the season.

By how they play tonight I meant more the style of play rather than the result.

Edited by twinny

Seems we wanted to let Craigan score so desperately that we couldn't wait past 2 minutes.

In all seriousness though, this looks close to our starting line up, with Paton replaced by Campbell, so how they play tonight will probably show what to expect from the season.

By how they play tonight I meant more the style of play rather than the result.

One effort on target in 90 mins to much ***** dancing trying to pass the ball instead of SHOOTING.Giving the ball away cheaply when in possession and in good positions. Tbh Motherwell should have won 3 or 4 nil. Plus side Sinclair had a decent match after starting poorly, the amount of times he was left 2 on 1 was a piece of nonsense. Still pre season but to me Motherwell looked fitter stronger & faster.

One effort on target in 90 mins to much ***** dancing trying to pass the ball instead of SHOOTING.Giving the ball away cheaply when in possession and in good positions. Tbh Motherwell should have won 3 or 4 nil. Plus side Sinclair had a decent match after starting poorly, the amount of times he was left 2 on 1 was a piece of nonsense. Still pre season but to me Motherwell looked fitter stronger & faster.

Was it 4-3-3 ?

Trying to offset that it's pre-season and against a top 6 SPL team who had most if not all of their first XI starting, but that was still pretty garbage.

We played 4-3-1-2 with no wide players and they played 2 out and out wingers who had all the space in the world. Sinclair did pretty well and Campbell eventually got to grips with his guy but they were given little cover. Also this shape depends on Erskine as the "1" to create chances but he had one of his bad yins tonight.

Rowser was Rowser and covered every blade as per, but we were junk going forward, always looking for one flick pass too many at the edge of the area. Was just like lots of last season actually.

Hopefully by the time the proper stuff comes round we'll be a bit better.

I wouldn't worry about it, Motherwell's league campaign starts in 11 days time against Celtic whereas it's almost 4 weeks before we start (with challenge cup and league cup matches against Stenhousemuir and Berwick in between), so they will be fitter.

I wouldn't worry about it, Motherwell's league campaign starts in 11 days time against Celtic whereas it's almost 4 weeks before we start (with challenge cup and league cup matches against Stenhousemuir and Berwick in between), so they will be fitter.

Good point never thought about that.

Good to hear Sinclair doing well.

The problem with this system Jackie wants to play is the space it gives teams out wide. Falkirk played this when they won the first division but they had a very experienced squad.

I didn't think we were that bad, but upfront we were lagging a little.

Motherwells only goal was from a penalty. They hit the bar once and had two or three other decent chances, but they didn't do an awful lot with their possession. They could have won by a greater margin though. We were decent defensively. I was really impressed by Sinclair, who had one of the hardest jobs having to keep hold of Chris Humphrey. Up front we never really posed a threat or created any real chances - in fact, I think our only shot on target was Stewarts towards the end. Randalph had nothing to do. If we took the opportunity to shoot more often it would benefit us instead of trying to look for the pass more often. We seemed to be passing in small triangles which really got us no-where. If Motherwell were in a tight spot they played it back a little, and then over to the opposite flank. That's what we need to do - only we need to play a bit wider than we did today.

Overall I'm not too disappointed. As long as we win on Saturday. :D

Still early pre-season and we looked a bit ragged at times. When we did get forward we flaffed about around the box without looking very threatening.

The big positive of the night was the introduction of Bannigan in the second half. He was always wanting the ball and looked confident with it. Could be the man to play alongside Rowser in midfield for me.

Ok, fair play. Tonight's game was only a friendly...yet it really has put the wind up me before the new season.

Yes ok, Motherwell are an SPL team, and they were Scottish Cup finalists...but lets face it, Scottish football is rank rotten in general, so we should be at least giving them a good game. The simply fact is we didn't. It took 88mins for the Motherwell GK to be tested (and I use the word "tested" extremely leniently). We simply had nothing going forward, nobody commanding the midfield and fed the balls through to the forwards, then if by some miracle we get into Motherwell's third of the pitch, we either backtrack, or play a few tippy-tappy passes until the ball is stolen. It was painful watching, and on another day Motherwell would have fired 4 or 5 past us.

With the exception of Fox and Rowson I don't think the guys did well at all tonight, no cutting passes came from the midfield, and Motherwell seemed to exploit the fact that Campbell is a RM and not a RB! Campbell did the basics all right I guess, but still was caught out of position and let the ball come over the top of his head.

Only Celtic XI and Dumbarton to go, and I think there is still a lot of work to be done.

I know pre-season games count for diddly squat but that was slightly concerning tonight. Motherwell dominated us for the majority of the match and kept the ball with ease. I felt we were chasing shadows and had no real shape to the team; yes, you could see what formation we were playing but, on the few occasions when we had the ball, we didn't look like having any idea what to do with it.

I think Jackie may be being too idealistic in his favour of a 4-3-3, especially if one of our midfield three is a sand dancing, non-trier in Flannigan. As it's been touched upon, it leaves us very exposed in the wide areas.

I thought both Sinclair and Campbell done well with the latter probably being our stand-out man. I was quite impressed with Sinclair's ability to keep up with Humphrey who is very quick. That being said, the defence looked shaky without Archie in there. In the midfield, only one man really turned up - Rowson. Covered a lot of ground as usual but shouldn't have to do as much as that. Bannigan looked lively when he came on and I'd certainly have him ahead of Cairney or Flannigan. Toothless up front, not helped by our ever-present desire to walk the ball into the net.

Pretty uninspiring stuff. It was 1-0 going on 6 or 7 and we couldn't have had many complaints if it had done. The one saving grace is that it is only our third run-out and Motherwell are a bit closer to the beginning of their competitive season. But, nonetheless, not great.

But the night wasn't about us, it was about Stevie Craigan. Thought more Motherwell fans would have turned out for him, right enough. Fitting that he scored the only goal of the game. Still a class act, as a player and a person. If only we could have a team of Stevie Craigan's...

Edited by Armand2

I can understand some people's concerns about last night's performance - we offered no real threat to Motherwell at all - but I think that it's a bit unreasonable to be overly concerned at this stage. As someone pointed out, Motherwell are much further ahead in their preparations for the new season than we are and they are a top-six SPL team (and I don't accept the argument that 'Scottish football is crap so we should be able to compete with this lot' argument). I though Thistle played really well in spells. The 'tippy tappy' stuff didn't come off last night, but it will later in the season, particularly when we're playing another first division side and we've more time and space on the ball. (I'd rather watch Thistle play that style of football than Motherwell's long passing from one wing to the other which, although it created space for attacks, achieved nothing all night.) Some good performances from Sinclair and Bannigan in particular and I liked the look of the young centre half (I assume it was Gallagher) when he came on. Campobell did remarkably well given that he's a midfield player filling in at right back. I like Flannigan: I know he causes frustration because too often there's no final product, but he can actually play football - one of these times he's going to really set the heather alight! As for the rest, Cairney doesn't look to have progressed from last season, Grehan and Doolan were quiet (as was Fraser when he came on), although you can't really blame them given the way the game was going (although Grehan, as usual, should have scored when he had the chance with the header in the first half), Rowson was immense, as always. Burns, however, was really disappointing - all the other youngsters looked like they belonged in the first team - he looked like he should still be with the youths. All in all though, not a bad performance I thought for this stage of the season, particularly as both Dundee and Falkirk were losing last night as well!

Agreed with a lot of what has already been said.

The young lads were excellent:

Sinclair what a prospect he is

Campbel[b]l had a really good game

Bannigan[/b] had some great touches when he came on

Lindsay looked okay when he was on.

By the way anyone know the young centre back was? Was it Kyle Lockhhead or was it the lad from Celtic Declan Gallacher? If its Gallacher am I right in thinking he is only about 18 if so should get him signed him up now looked pretty confident and like Sinclair has bags of potential. And if it was Lockhead then he is only about 19 so again fantastic potential.

Of the other older players Fox (bar possibly giving away the penalty) and Rowser were excellent.

Flannigan did get stuck in.

Cairney ran himself ragged but again sometimes does to much and ends up giving the ball away.

My concern was with what I would term perhaps 3 of our key players - Doolan, Erskine and Stewart. Not only did they seem toothless but they looked way way down from SPL standard and as the lad sitting next to me Stewart and Erskine in his opinion looked slightly disinterested. Not to sure if I would completely agree with that last part but there was a gulf between them supposedly our better players and the majority of Well players.

Still not to concerned its early days and just another friendly. Another couple of games before the real action started.

The main thing was great to see a fantastic Thistle crowd for Craigan, a great player for the club and hell of a nice guy. Well deserved Stephen hope you enjoyed the night :thumbsup2:

I felt it was a good work out. Motherwell are only ten days away from the start of their league so I'd expect they're a bit ahead of us in pre-season preparation.

What we really need is to get our full backs overlapping to give us a bit of width in attack. No reason to believe we won't be able to do that in our division but can see why we didn't against an SPL side.

Don't feel so concerned about right back cover after seeing Campbell last night. His positioning still seems a bit eccentric at times but I don't see many if any left sided attackers running him ragged. Incidentally that's 3x 90mins Campbell has put in so hopefully Paton is fit enough to put an hour in on Saturday.

It was a lacklustre performance but I'm not too concerned, still got a few weeks to get ourselves ready. Motherwell look a good side, streets in front of us. Their two wingers annihilated our full backs at first, but as others have said, they soon got to grips, with Campbell and Sinclair in particular playing well. Similar build to Twaddle (Sinclair that is), think he could turn out to be a find.

Thought Bannigan looked really good when he came on, always wanting the ball, good use of it, spreading it out wide, not giving it away- wouldn't mind seeing him given an extended run out beside Rowser in the first team.

Still think we've enough about us to have a top 3 finish this season despite last night-just wish we'd fashioned a few more chances, was quite poor.

But still, this will be our year!

I know we could all trawl through history, looking for results to prove our points, but this is a Motherwell side that beat D**dee 4-0 last season in the cup, while D**dee we're arguably at the top of their game.

We are pre-season and while it would be nice to roll over everyone with silky football and breed a winning mentality, we have hardly kicked a ball in two months so are likely to be a bit rusty. I'm sure it will all come good for the season actually starting.

What we really need is to get our full backs overlapping to give us a bit of width in attack. No reason to believe we won't be able to do that in our division but can see why we didn't against an SPL side.

Don't feel so concerned about right back cover after seeing Campbell last night. His positioning still seems a bit eccentric at times but I don't see many if any left sided attackers running him ragged. Incidentally that's 3x 90mins Campbell has put in so hopefully Paton is fit enough to put an hour in on Saturday.

This to me is pretty important. I think we'll quite often see two defensive midfielders, meaning that there will be a great need for the full backs to get forward as this would leave just 4 attack minded players.

I thought we looked decent enough against better opposition.

We wont win any leagues however, without a stiker. The ball gets forward well throught the midfield, and the same old problem occurs, that the forwards seem to need about 10 meters free around them to turn and hit a shot.

Sinclair loooked like a good find, Campbell seemed ok, got done a few times by their no 10.

I like the look of the boy Gallacher, he's my mates cousin but iv never seen him play. He was very confident and was reading the game well. and got forward with some determination for the corners, I reckon if the club put a decent deal down he would snap it up.

The other trialist was poor.

I thought we looked decent enough against better opposition.

We wont win any leagues however, without a stiker. The ball gets forward well throught the midfield, and the same old problem occurs, that the forwards seem to need about 10 meters free around them to turn and hit a shot.

Sinclair loooked like a good find, Campbell seemed ok, got done a few times by their no 10.

I like the look of the boy Gallacher, he's my mates cousin but iv never seen him play. He was very confident and was reading the game well. and got forward with some determination for the corners, I reckon if the club put a decent deal down he would snap it up.

The other trialist was poor.

I thought there was only one trialist...the centre halk with the dark hair (Gallacher?). The blonde full back was Lindsay.