Just In

Lionel J. Botch

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was a penalty but the ref had a very dodgy second half regardless so i'll hold final judgement.

Was over in the kids' section with my nephew today, so got a very good view of it. With not a hint of rose tinted specs, it was a clear dive. A few unusual decisions from the ref today (a fair few in favour of Thistle), but that was a real howler from the linesman, who was only a few yards away.

I thought we played pretty well today, and were the better team throughout, but neither side really threatened.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone up the Shed end thought it was a Dundee handball on the line right at the death.

Was over in the kids' section with my nephew today, so got a very good view of it. With not a hint of rose tinted specs, it was a clear dive. A few unusual decisions from the ref today (a fair few in favour of Thistle), but that was a real howler from the linesman, who was only a few yards away.

I thought we played pretty well today, and were the better team throughout, but neither side really threatened.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone up the Shed end thought it was a Dundee handball on the line right at the death.

Sadly it was not. Clearly chested the ball away (unfortunately).

I find this a bizarre thing to complain about a keeper. They've no right to save a pen, I can't think of 6 times he's faced a pen with us either, though I bow to your superior knowledge if that turns out to be the case.

King Kenny had a great penalty record, but for me, Scott Fox is a far better keeper. Better shot stopper, better with ball at his feet, better coming for crosses/punches, two footed. He's a crackin keeper.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear when I said Fox was one of the best in the division. I wouldn't want to swap him for Arthur or Tuffey at their best. But that doesn't make him above criticism and I'd certainly wish he was less statuesque at spot kicks. When either Arthur or Tuffey were facing a penalty I always thought they had a sporting chance of saving but Scott appears the opposite.

I don't see what's so bizarre about raising this point tho' I do concede if it was only based on two or three penalties it would be silly. I'm sure tho' it's far more than that. Maybe a statto could let us know.

Riley is a cheatin little f****r. He obviously learned that s**t during his time at Parkhead. His contribution to todays game consisted of skinning Paton once and diving 3 times. Little *****.

As for the Jags;

Fox- Had next to nothing to do all day

Paton- Had what I could only describe as a nightmare. Kept overhitting passes to the front 2 and/or passing it straight to the opposition.

Kinniburgh/Archibald- Strolled through the entire match. Never ever put under any pressure by Dundees strikers. If Kinniburgh had stayed on, we would not have lost.

Sinclair- Reminds me a bit of Alan Hutton, iffy at times in defense, but loves to get forward. He lacks some basic footballing intelligence, but if he can learn from guys like Archie and Rowser we could end up with a very, very good player.

Cairney- Basically the same as Paton.

Robertson- Seemed to be everywhere early on, broke up plenty of Dundee attacks and even found himself breaking into the Dundee box for several of our attacks. He did tire in the 2nd half, but he had a good debut. He gives us some added height aswell.

Rowson- Where would we be without him. He was head and shoulders above every player on the park today.

Erskine- Needs a little composure at times, but with him and Sinclair on the left, they will terrify teams in this league, hopefully.

Doolan/Stewart- struggled against a big physical defense. Needed more support at times, and a lot more passes into their feet.

Balatoni- Woeful. Needs confidence built up.

Campbell- Made very little impact

Flannigan- Made no impact whatsoever

Overall we didnt at any point look like losing that game, then again, with the exception of a couple of off target efforts(Rowson header, Erskine shot)we didnt look like winning it either. Sounds familiar.

Edited by jagsman411971

Pure scunnered :(

That was a blatant dive. I thought the wee cheat was going to get booked for the dying swan routine :mad2:

Dundee certainly never deserved the win.

What are assistant referees for? Offsides and nothing else.

Im really fed up with scottish football and might take a well earned sabatical from it for a year or two.

I have to say my over riding emotion from today is that this is as good as it gets for this current squad and alas its not that good. If some are happy with the performance today and put it down to just a bad refereeing decision that cost us then I fear they are being delusional.

I cant understand why people cant accept that what we have is all that Jackie is going to get, he has players he would prob like to get rid of but are on contracts we cant afford to buy out.

at the moment we are a mid table team and are likely to stay that way for the next good few seasons, that's life lets get on with it.

and for all those that say well what's the point in going to the matches then my question is why the hell do you support thistle then.

I am a realist and I hope that they do better but am happy as long as we don't get relegated and stay in the this div till we (hopefully ) sort out our finances

I thought we actually played very well today only to be yet again shafted by an incompetent official. Seemed to me like every debatable decision went the way of Dundee all day long and the penalty looked like a total bloody joke, having said that I was at the other end of the ground but judging by the reaction of the rest of the Thistle fans I don't think I'm wrong :angry:

Wouldn't it be nice just for once to get a ref at Firhill that is blatantly biased to us :thinking:

I thought the ref's decision at the penalty was probably wrong (it occurs to me we may not be allowed to view video of the incident) but I can see a lot of nonsense is going to be posted about him here.

In fact he seemed even handed - let them off with a few things he shouldn't have but also gave us a few fouls I couldn't see. In other words he made mistakes but seemed to do it for both sides.

That said two things bothered me about the penalty award. First, several times in the game it seemed to me that when an incident aoccurred, the referee seemed to consider it for a minute before making a decision - not a bad idea, go over things in your mind to be sure of getting it right. At the penalty however - an obvious game-changing decision - he seemed to leap into the award right away, no consideration no consulting the linesman.

The other thing is we shoud never have been in that position. We dominated most of the second half, yet inside the last 10 minutes we became nervous and careless, gifting them the ball far too often. If we'd just had someone to calm things down and play safe and sensible they'd never have had a player in our penalty box to give the ref a chance of making such an award.

Overall, a much improved performance if a bit too cagey the first half (understandable I suppose) - and good to see the manager willing to change formation and personnel in response to a bad performance.

One never knows how things will pan out but it looks like we'll be fine this season though I doubt we'll be challenging for promotion this season.

It was my daughter's 10th today so I wasn't there, and it's taken me this long to summon up the will to read the match report and the reactions. I was sick enough to hear the score, but then to hear it was so late on, then a Dundee fan txt Jim Traynor to admit it was a dive.....grrrrrrr.... I disliked Dundee anyway but......this is always my least favourite game, ugly sisters or Hearts aside. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen because I wasn't there.

I must ask though, when they scored, did some of their "fans" come on to the pitch? They always used to, and it REALLY winds me up, and makes me hate them even more.

Bad luck with the officals, but we need to do more than rely on luck.

Paton seemed to be passing to the man on the moon.

Doolan took a touch, a touch too much.

Sinclair and Rowson were a little bit of heart and soul.

We looked like we played our wee hearts out today. Mid table finish if that's the case.

What a kick in the teeth that was. Dundee were poor and never looked like scoring until Riley's swan dive. Cheating plain and simple. Had a good view of it and he just threw himself into Archie. Having said that the game should have been over by that time. We created enough openings but were let down by poor finishing and decision making in the final 3rd.

Thought the Rowson/Robertson partnership in the middle of the park looked promising. Both were everywhere until Robertson tired around the hour mark, Sinclair is a real find, although very raw. Kinniburgh's injury was a real blow as he and Archie had dealt with everything with ease. Balatoni, on the other hand, had a shocker after coming on. Needs to replace those white boots with ones he can stand up in!

Riley is a cheatin little f****r. He obviously learned that s**t during his time at Parkhead. His contribution to todays game consisted of skinning Paton once and diving 3 times. Little *****.

As for the Jags;

Fox- Had next to nothing to do all day

Paton- Had what I could only describe as a nightmare. Kept overhitting passes to the front 2 and/or passing it straight to the opposition.

Kinniburgh/Archibald- Strolled through the entire match. Never ever put under any pressure by Dundees strikers. If Kinniburgh had stayed on, we would not have lost.

Sinclair- Reminds me a bit of Alan Hutton, iffy at times in defense, but loves to get forward. He lacks some basic footballing intelligence, but if he can learn from guys like Archie and Rowser we could end up with a very, very good player.

Cairney- Basically the same as Paton.

Robertson- Seemed to be everywhere early on, broke up plenty of Dundee attacks and even found himself breaking into the Dundee box for several of our attacks. He did tire in the 2nd half, but he had a good debut. He gives us some added height aswell.

Rowson- Where would we be without him. He was head and shoulders above every player on the park today.

Erskine- Needs a little composure at times, but with him and Sinclair on the left, they will terrify teams in this league, hopefully.

Doolan/Stewart- struggled against a big physical defense. Needed more support at times, and a lot more passes into their feet.

Balatoni- Woeful. Needs confidence built up.

Campbell- Made very little impact

Flannigan- Made no impact whatsoever

Overall we didnt at any point look like losing that game, then again, with the exception of a couple of off target efforts(Rowson header, Erskine shot)we didnt look like winning it either. Sounds familiar.

Felt you were very harsh on Cairney and Paton. Paton had couple of outstanding crosses in first half and a very good shot in the second. Cairney worked his socks off today....yeah a few misplaced passes, but no more than any other playing for Jags today.

Thing is, it wasn't a howler from the linesman as he is merely there to occasionally raise his flag for offside and that is it! The referees take no direction from their so-called assistants these days and how these clowns who run the line pick up the money they do for having no input in the game is an utter disgrace. How these people can feel they merit a pay rise when good people are being made redundant in all walks of life is beyond me. Football officials get money for old rope..

Edited by Vom Itorium

Couple of points. Agree that it was a howler from linesman/refs assistant more tan ref himself. However the problem is after the Dougie McDonald witchunt last year these guys will pick up their money and not get involved in making controversial decisions unless, it seems, their life depends on it.

This brings me on to my second point. If this had been a decsion against the infirm it would have been all over the papers demanding an inquiry etc. I hope the club send off the DVD of the match along with a letter of concern about the lack of involvement of JHS assistant when penalty awarded. Perfect position, chose not to react. At the least, he should be reprimanded by his superiors (even if done privately) as this has to stop. These guys have had a apy increase this year and if they're quick enough to help the referee out when they see a foul at the tunnel when he(ref) has awarded a throw in. It's simply not good enough and if they're not good enough (or willing) to do their job then they shouldn't be picking up money for nothing.

My first game of season yesterday as been abroad but on the pitch for us my biggest concern was our whole midfield. Nobody seemed to know who they were picking up. Paton/Cairney/Rowson in 1st half especially all pointing and chasing shadows as Dundee bombed down their left. Now, whether that's to do with change of system from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 but whatever it was the coaching/mangement team have obviously left these 3 players confused.

Cairney didn't have best game yesterday but I don't think what I said above helped. He especially seemed unsure as to who he was tracking and where he was supposed to be playing on the park. I would add I thought Cairney looked fitter/slimmer than last season.

As for creating chances...

Our main threat looks like it'll come down the left this season with Erskine and Sinclair but as much as I love Rowson as a player for his energy and commitment, playing the killer ball into front players isn't a strength and can't see Robertson and Cairney doing that either which leaves me concerned if the above mentioned left sided players aren't on their game.

I'm a pessimist i'm afraid. I wasn't enthused by McNamara and Donnelly's appointments to start with as struck me as cheap options at the time and lack of willingness, it seemed, to consider the other applicants. I felt it was almost a case of going through the motions whith inviting applicants. I'm willing to be proved wrong but against what was a poor Dundee team yesterday, it hasn't started well.

Time will tell but my fear is that the club can't afford to go backwards this season as the 'floating' fans will stay away for good if there's nothing (again) for them to see on the park that will see them part with their hard earned money. Yesterday's ending meant there was a sense of injustice in the end result and people will hopefully come back but performances have to improve from yesterday imo. As I said, my 1st game but talking to others around me they haven't had many positives to say about any of the performances they've seen so far except for Celtic XI friendly.

Bad luck with the officals, but we need to do more than rely on luck.

Paton seemed to be passing to the man on the moon.

Doolan took a touch, a touch too much.

Sinclair and Rowson were a little bit of heart and soul.

We looked like we played our wee hearts out today. Mid table finish if that's the case.

REM

AC/DC

T'Pau

Not sure if there is a song lyric in the last sentence but if there is you have me thunderstruck. Oh Hells Bells, this is hell trying to work it out but then hell ain't a bad place to be. wish i could work out the song in the last sentence but son is runing about like a real livewire and the noise he is making you'd think he'd been playing with some TNT. Gona go now and get ready for my family holiday...all aboard the Rock N Roll Train.

REM

AC/DC

T'Pau

Not sure if there is a song lyric in the last sentence but if there is you have me thunderstruck. Oh Hells Bells, this is hell trying to work it out but then hell ain't a bad place to be. wish i could work out the song in the last sentence but son is runing about like a real livewire and the noise he is making you'd think he'd been playing with some TNT. Gona go now and get ready for my family holiday...all aboard the Rock N Roll Train.

3 out of 3 :rocker:

Thought yesterdays game was played in a decent spirit (i.e. no real niggly shit, or people squaring up after tackles etc.) then they get a penalty. I am willing to suspend my fury until I see video of it (hope its in the highlights) but I do think you have to be sure if a player goes down in the box in the 89 minute that he's not a cheating bit of Dundee scum. I fcuking HATE Dundee.

I was thinking that if you put the ball in the net you don't have to worry about pishy decisions, but yesterdays game was pretty tight and although we were probably the better team I would have been happy with 0-0.

Their No.5 should have been off as well and he knew it. He was already on a yellow and had a poor tackle inside the centre circle. We got a free kick and he had his head in his hands - he knew it was a booking and he was off, but the ref didn't even look at him.

Not as gutted as I thought I might have been and it was good to see so many stay and applaud the team at the final whistle.

I'm willing for this to be quoted back at the end of the season but Dundee will not win the league. Their defence will see more red cards than clean sheets.

Their No.5 should have been off as well and he knew it. He was already on a yellow and had a poor tackle inside the centre circle. We got a free kick and he had his head in his hands - he knew it was a booking and he was off, but the ref didn't even look at him.

His team mates knew too and were having a go at him. So we knew, Dundee knew, how come the ref didn't? :mad2:

Just read milhouse’s comments on McNamara’s demeanour.

Funny with my less than perfect distance eyesight he reminded me of The John Lambie standing there be-suited with hands in pockets. It was nice to briefly reminisce on those great days and to fantasise of perhaps times come.

Maybe it was a good omen.