Just In

Lionel J. Botch

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally there was good piece of PR on the Cowan/Cosgrove radio prog yesterday. I know the kids go free has been mentioned a few times but not accurately. After evidently erroneously in midweek saying it was a £1 for kids to get in Cowan appologised and got it spot on. Probably for the first time it was mentioned that unaccompanied kids could also get in foc.

Obviously either someone from the Club or a Jags fan got in touch with BBC/Cowan/Cosgrove to put them right. Well done to whoever it was. :thumbsup2:

Not the worst match match I've ever seen and some encouraging individual performances. Obviously disappointed with result and thought we were worthy of a point. Received a text from a mate who said that a Dundee fan had sent a text to the BBC Your Call radio show to confirm it was a dive; so strike my earlier post: they were cheating diving sc** b*******! But agree with an earlier post that mentioned Fox's dive in the box; that was p*** poor.

I don't think we can use yesterday as a marker for the season as Dundee were probably just average. I'm dreading a team with genuine pace taking on our defence... that will probably be Raith Rovers who I seem to recall have a habit of fielding young teams with pace early in the season.

Down but not out; let's get behind the team and give the management more time.

• Members

Just to end this post on a negative point (so as I can feel more positive later on) I can't remember seeing a keeper who looks less likely to save a penalty than Scott Fox. Don't get me wrong he's probably one of the best keepers in the division (along with Cerny) but when it comes to a penalty Mr Fox looks clueless. I can't remember him getting even close to stopping a penalty kick and that's good half dozen or so I've seen him face.

I know exactly where you're coming from with that analysis LIB. Any penalty I can recall seeing him face, he's not even been close to saving. Kenny Arthur said he had a technique and he looked to have passed it on to Jonny Tuffey, both had good records when facing penalties. I hope they let Hinchy into the secret and he can in turn pass it on to Scott!

Macnamara looked like he didn't give a ****. He's made a tidy wage in his playing career and is now just happy for a wee adventure in management. There was no competition for the job and it probably won't matter to him if he fails. How many times have we tried this rookie manager nonsense and it never, ever works for us. A waste of time. Every time we play that mob the same thing happens. It's embarrassing. The squad is decent but they will be led by a moron.

Give yourself a good fookin shake..Moron??? why??? lost 1 league game to a dubious last minute penalty..more than matched the buggers for 89 minutes..typical thistle bad luck story

To start slating the man this early is MORONIC!

Dundee FC really epitomise so much of what's wrong with Scottish football (...) a game that's losing paying customers because it rewards both financial profligacy and on-field physicality - it's a return on and off the park to the origins of the game in the 19th century.

Post of the week, Fearchar mo caraid.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Only read the first couple of pages so far but from where I was at the other end of the stand and with my questionable eyesight I didn’t think the ref got it wrong with the penalty but seen as virtually everyone else on here who were probably closer to it and who probably aren’t half blind seem to disagree.

Cairney not getting a shot on target when it was cut back for him on a plate was criminal.

We had no width when going forward apart from when Sinclair got forward, why is this not happening on the right?

Was Doolan even on the park?

Agree with you about the problem with the right side of the team. For me Cairney is a central midfielder and continually drifts into the centre. On the rare occasion when he was out wide he just doesn't have the ability to go past players. He's a very similar player to Rowson and, altho perhaps being his future replacement, shouldn't ideally be played in the same team.

The knock-on effect from this was that going forward Paton had no one ahead of him and was forced into the big punt forward, of which we saw too much on saturday. I don't think Flannigan is the answer. Maybe Campbell is the solution. Haven't seen much of him but when he eventually did come on, he did have one decent run down the wing. Admittedly the cross was wayward and straight to the keeper, but he's learning and looked to be comfortable wide right.

Agree with you about the problem with the right side of the team. For me Cairney is a central midfielder and continually drifts into the centre. On the rare occasion when he was out wide he just doesn't have the ability to go past players. He's a very similar player to Rowson and, altho perhaps being his future replacement, shouldn't ideally be played in the same team.

The knock-on effect from this was that going forward Paton had no one ahead of him and was forced into the big punt forward, of which we saw too much on saturday. I don't think Flannigan is the answer. Maybe Campbell is the solution. Haven't seen much of him but when he eventually did come on, he did have one decent run down the wing. Admittedly the cross was wayward and straight to the keeper, but he's learning and looked to be comfortable wide right.

I'd go along with that. Towards the end of last season we got a couple of goals following excellent work on the wing by Campbell, when he suddenly cut in and went past defenders along the 18-yard line.

Might be wrong but I thought Campbell ended up in central mid when Flannigan came on so he was only out wide for half the time he was on. Campbell can play as a fairly orthodox right winger and give the team either a bit more width or at least allow Paton & particularly Sinclair, who had to be tiring, to stay back.

For all the games he's now played (or played part of), end of last season, friendlies and so on Jamie hasn't really had a continued spell at possibly his best position as a winger. Because he's got a bit of bite, can track back and tackle, unlike recent previous wingers (Murray, Strachan, Erskine, Corcoran etc) I don't see much of a risk factor playing Jamie from the start.

I'd go along with that. Towards the end of last season we got a couple of goals following excellent work on the wing by Campbell, when he suddenly cut in and went past defenders along the 18-yard line.

I'm also in agreement with that. Campbell may not be an improvement on Cairney but we won't know for sure until he gets a run in the team. Cairney's lack of pace takes all the momentum out of our possession when he receives the ball. On Saturday he either turned back or played a square or backwards pass every time he got the ball. He's got no confidence that he can run away from an opponent. He still makes good runs into the box without the ball, but we need more attacking intent when he's in possession.

No need to apologise HJ as you have always been perfectly upfront with your feelings on this matter. The only question I would ask is what if the board give Jackie money for a striker and he buys someone you don't rate - would that make you return just because the board had parted with the cash or does it have to be spend the money on a specific player you want to see at Firhill?

You know, that`s a good question. I`ve mentioned Clark in the past but only because Mcmenamin went to a big ambitious club. The only answer I can give is that we need a striker.

You know, that`s a good question. I`ve mentioned Clark in the past but only because Mcmenamin went to a big ambitious club. The only answer I can give is that we need a striker.

the question then is who .. mark roberts back from Ayr? Buchanan on loan from Dunfermline? suggestions?

the question then is who .. mark roberts back from Ayr? Buchanan on loan from Dunfermline? suggestions?

Dunno, surely with all his football connections the manager must have some idea. I actualy thought that that was one of the only really viable reasons for giving him the job.

What I am certain of is that the current board have to come up with funds for the manager to strengthen the team.

Dunno, surely with all his football connections the manager must have some idea. I actualy thought that that was one of the only really viable reasons for giving him the job.

What I am certain of is that the current board have to come up with funds for the manager to strengthen the team.

what if (and its a big if) the board have looked at the team, spoke with Jackie and said this team will stay up so lets keep the cash to pay off more of the debit instead?

I would be happy if this was the case, happier than spending money on a player that may get us to second and therefore nothing apart from more debit.

my reasons for this are on post 61 of this thread. is this what I would ideally want no, could it be better for the club in the long run, I think so.

and what if we did get to the spl, there is no pot of gold just more debit with higher wages. until Scottish football is sorted out there is little point in getting into the spl

only an opinion but there you go

First time I've been in the aitken suite in a while, worst place to drink on the planet? :thumbdown: won't be back.

Vowed never to back about a year or so ago..crap service, crap atmosphere and a crap selection of drinks and what they did have was...erm crap :( (edited to add flat,lukewarm etc)

Edited by Chicofan

Macnamara looked like he didn't give a ****. He's made a tidy wage in his playing career and is now just happy for a wee adventure in management. There was no competition for the job and it probably won't matter to him if he fails. How many times have we tried this rookie manager nonsense and it never, ever works for us. A waste of time. Every time we play that mob the same thing happens. It's embarrassing. The squad is decent but they will be led by a moron.

I've seen some drivel on this forum, but this is on another level entirely.

Calling the manager a moron after the first game of the season - :lol:

You really need help.