Craig Dargo/tam Mcmanus?

BlantyreJag

Cairney was given a 3 year deal!!

If Cairney had maintained his early form for us he'd have been well worth the 3 year deal. Even so he's still a decent player for us.

The point about 3 year deals is they can be a good idea where you've got a youngster you really think will develop into something exceptional. (I believe we gave Bannigan a long contract too).

Being young they need that extra time to develop. You have to call it right though as some youngsters won't develop as we hope. Still if you get it right you get a very good young player for the team - one who might be able to be sold on for some money.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed THIS.

Courier might just be short of news. Are the Pars short of under 21yo strikers by any chance?

Don't think they're short of u21 strikers, or he'd get a place on the bench. There are four strikers ahead of him and including a fifth striker in the squad sounds a bit mental when you need three u21s in there (but they have 7 players on the bench in the SPL don't they?).

I imagine he could easily go out on loan to a first division club, as could Pat Clarke.

Don't think they're short of u21 strikers, or he'd get a place on the bench. There are four strikers ahead of him and including a fifth striker in the squad sounds a bit mental when you need three u21s in there (but they have 7 players on the bench in the SPL don't they?).

I imagine he could easily go out on loan to a first division club, as could Pat Clarke.

They don't want Clarke so there could be a touch of brinkmanship in his case. Buchanan would settle with us right away but I feel we'd have to send Fraser and/or Burns out on loan. If Liam came on a half season loan he'd be desperate to score at our level. Could benefit all three parties but there's possibly cost & insurance involved that would put us off.

Still far from convinced any additional striker will be much good if we continue to provide such few chances but I feel a loan deal with a striker till January would be the way to go. That buys us time and if someone like Fraser did well out on loan over the same period he could fit into the squad place vacated by whoever we got in on loan.

but I feel a loan deal with a striker till January would be the way to go. That buys us time and if someone like Fraser did well out on loan over the same period he could fit into the squad place vacated by whoever we got in on loan.

Totally agree. We deffo need a fresh face up front

And how would that work at a club our size?

If you have everybody on one year deals they're all out of contract at the same time. What we can't pay in wages has got to be compensated by some sort of security.

It's up to the manager to make sure he gives extended deals to the right players. There's been some spectacular failures of judgment in that department in recent years but rarely as poor as the situation that let Craigan & Burns walk away for zilch.

John Lambie rarely offered players contracts lasting two years or more. If we got promoted, we would be stuck with several players who would struggle in the SPL. In fact, they are struggling in the SFL. For every Craigan or Burns, there's a Willie Kinniburgh or Martin Grehan.

Buchanan's and Clarke's form cannot be good if there are four strikers ahead of them.

John Lambie...

Snore...

Lambie operated in a different era from today's managers. He's been quoted as saying he'd struggle with today's transfer system. And remember, not everything Lambie did was for the long-term benefit of the club, the lack of a decent youth set up being the obvious example, although I doubt that'll weigh too heavily on your mind given your previous post.

Really doubt we should have re signed Flanigan and I really dont think we should be wasting any money on this lad Stewart from Hearts, any money should be going towards getting in a new striker.

The GRehan signing was McCalls and its ridculous he was given such a long contract. However I remember when McCall first took over there were a number of Campbell duds who had been given long contracts - Sandy Hodge, Graham Gibson, Scott Boyd etc - McCall promptly got rid of them by giving out some of their contract. Theoretically Jackie could do the same with Grehan and I dont understand why not. Grehan has got 9 months left of his contract so if Jackie wanted rid of him he could offer him 5 months etc though I guess at the end of the day it would be for Grehan to decide whether he would accept this or not

Scott Boyd was and is anything but a dud.

Scott Boyd was and is anything but a dud.

Iirc Boyd couldn't be guaranteed a starting place as we had Robertson, Archie, Storey and a certain Harkins chappie all playing centreback, or in Storey's case capable of playing there.

For a dud Boyd's kinda done alright, even getting to a cup final.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I think it was more to do with the Manager he was playing under when he was here that made him look a bit like one, agree with you that since he has left has looked anything but one

never had an issue with Boyd's performances for us, was always pretty solid.

The only issue i had was the fact that when he ran, he looked like he had been riding a horse all week!

The same Manager who took him to Ross County but was relieved of his duties after 6 weeks. I believe Derek Adams is probably more responsible for his development there

Arguably Boyd's best game for us was at Tynecastle shortly after he arrived. The fact he never developed with us much thereafter backs up your point. But be gracious and admit that the Bunnet at least knew he was a decent prospect by signing him three times. :)

Why don't we play Dargo as a trialist? If he's interested in that, it should hopefully benefit us in the short-term & probably help him get a club after that.

It may piss off a player who is dropped for him, but it's upto that player to do better.

Please dont think I am having a go here as I am not. I remember a few weeks back you were saying that you believed us to be reasonably well covered up front with Doolan, Stewart and Grehan and some of the youngsters do you know believe we definetly need another striker? (Thats not the same as saying we will get one as cash constraints will probably result in us not getting one)

I don't know about anyone else but I would have no problem adopting the kind of approach Dundee did last season with regards to trialists. We're obviously on a tight budget but there are players available, albeit players who are perhaps outwith our financial reach. If we give them a couple of games as a trialist to put themselves in the shop window, it benefits both parties and I'm sure guys like Dargo and McManus would be more than willing to do that.

Please dont think I am having a go here as I am not. I remember a few weeks back you were saying that you believed us to be reasonably well covered up front with Doolan, Stewart and Grehan and some of the youngsters do you know believe we definetly need another striker? (Thats not the same as saying we will get one as cash constraints will probably result in us not getting one)

I still stand by what I said, I only mention playing Dargo as a trialist as it would cost us heehaw & he may do us a turn in the 2/3 games he's allowed to play.

If we had the cash for more players I'd love us to sign another defender, midfielder & striker (hell, even a more experienced back-up goalie) but we don't, so that is a factor when saying whether what we have is good enough. Saying that, I do think what we have is good enough, if the players are playing well.