Getting The Football Scores

Jaggernaut

I remember there used to be crowds of fans leaving the ground then standing looking in a shop window in Maryhill road to see the final scores. Then it was the bus home and a pink Times to confirm the final results, which were often just stamped on the margin of the back page. The match reports only went up to half-time. But that's still better than some of the "reports" we get today.

B)

I had the luxury of an old and relatively small transistor radio - powered by a PP9 battery - which only had LW and MW settings. Reception under the Shed canopy was pretty crap though.

Of an evening there was no finer pleasure - if there was nothing worth watching on the 3 TV channels - than tuning the old tranny into john peel on radio 1 or radio luxembourg (if you could stand the medium wave whistle). Simpler times.

On the same subject there used to be commentator on BBC, fairly sure his name was George Davidson, who would summarise a game each week. Regardless of where in the West of Scotland the match was being played George would miraculously manage to be one of the first through the Aragon door shortly after 5pm.

There was also the urban myth that due to over crammed telephone lines pigeons were preferred and sent out across the country with the half time scores :D

I remember getting home from Firhill and getting sent straight back down to wait outside the shop for the Evening Times van arriving, there was always a poster of some sporting star at the time in the middle pages. I vividly remember being delighted when it was Seve Ballesteros.

I remember there used to be crowds of fans leaving the ground then standing looking in a shop window in Maryhill road to see the final scores. Then it was the bus home and a pink Times to confirm the final results, which were often just stamped on the margin of the back page. The match reports only went up to half-time. But that's still better than some of the "reports" we get today.

B)

Ah, the good old days!! :) Was there not another paper? a green one called the "citizen" twice the size of the times? or am i having a moment?

Does anyone else think the results 'service' on 801mw is now unbelievably bad? The timing of it is always off if were at a game. It must be catering for fat armchair h*ns, because it's impossible for me to be back in the car in time, taking injury time, clapping the side off and walking back into account. On saturday, I had to listen to about 10 minutes of Rangers v Inverness match reaction at 5:05pm before anyone discussed anything else. That game kicked off at lunchtime and was finished before I even parked the car before the match! Rubbish.

Ah, the good old days!! :) Was there not another paper? a green one called the "citizen" twice the size of the times? or am i having a moment?

That sounds familiar though my memories are very hazy. I remember running down to the newsagent (Dumbarton Road near Whiteinch) to get the paper and digesting the contents as I strolled back home. probably in danger of being run over as I crossed streets with less then half a mind on the traffic. The match reports were often clearly chopped off as they must have (at least sometimes) had to call the reports in before the games were finished, in order to meet the deadlines. All I was really interested in were the scores so I didn't mind much. Some of the pictures / posters ended up on my bedroom wall but I got more wallpaper from the Jags programmes.

Aah, happy days eh?

Mention of the green Citizen has got me wondering if Wee Bobby Maitland is still on the go. Life long Jags fan and rarely away from Firhill since his retirement, Bobby worked for the Express as a sports writer in the 70s and 80s after the Citizen shut down.

Haven't seen Bobby for a good while. Anyone got any info?

The Citizen was majic. My treasured copy was with Thistles 2-0 skelping of Sellik with Glavin getting both.It was front page story, AND I was at the game. Also remember looking in shop window to see other scores. AH!!!! Happy days

Back in the day there was no 'free' half time scores at games. You had to buy a programme, and each game had a letter attached, so the 'scoreboard' at the back of the South end would read: A 0-1, B 2-0, C 1-1... etc. To the best of my recollection, this was the same everywhere.

However, and according to Hunnic sources, on THE day, at the blue cave the announcer informed the spectators at their game: "...and the half time score from Hampden is Celtic nil Partick Thistle four. I repeat, and this is not a mistake, Celtic nil Partick Thistle four."

That would explain the deluge of Hu ns that arrived at Hampden unceremoniously, around 15 minutes into the second half, making their way down the sides of the main stand where the wee pale blue disabled cars used to come in. :huh:

I remember the Pink and Green well. There was tremendous rivalry between the Times and the Citizen to get their results paper to the newsagent first. They had small town type vans which tore around the city. The van boy would literally throw the papers at the newsagent’s door where the paperboys would be waiting. I had memorised my paper-run so that there was no need for the papers to be addressed and I could hit the streets running.

I think eventually the two papers used the same delivery company and the cut-throat competition to reach the shops was gone.

Later in the evening when all the results were in there was a hushed silence in the house,imposed by the old man,as the football pools results came over the wireless. The announcer had a certain intonation in his voice so you could almost tell whether it was a home or away win or even a draw before you heard the actual score.

I had the luxury of an old and relatively small transistor radio - powered by a PP9 battery - which only had LW and MW settings. Reception under the Shed canopy was pretty crap though.

Of an evening there was no finer pleasure - if there was nothing worth watching on the 3 TV channels - than tuning the old tranny into john peel on radio 1 or radio luxembourg (if you could stand the medium wave whistle). Simpler times.

Simpler times yes---- but happy days indeed

Does anyone else think the results 'service' on 801mw is now unbelievably bad? The timing of it is always off if were at a game. It must be catering for fat armchair h*ns, because it's impossible for me to be back in the car in time, taking injury time, clapping the side off and walking back into account. On saturday, I had to listen to about 10 minutes of Rangers v Inverness match reaction at 5:05pm before anyone discussed anything else. That game kicked off at lunchtime and was finished before I even parked the car before the match! Rubbish.

If I'm at Firhill I'm almost always comfortably back in the car for 5pm and the FULL classified results on 5live (including England) which Radio Scotland don't bother with any more. Once the results are finished and my coupon is confirmed as bust I switch back to Scotland.

• Members

The Evening Citizen was the sister paper of the Scottish Daily Express local rival to the Glasgow Herald (was it the Glasgow Herald back in those days?) and it's evening paper The Evening Times. The Express and Citizen were printed in Albion Street where the herald and Times eventually moved to. My Dad was a painter there until the Express moved production down South and stopped printing the Citizen and changed to the Daily Express making my Dad and many more redundant round about the early 70's IIRC. My Dad coming home with the SDE and EC was a great source for my boyhood scrapbook of Newspaper cuttings of the Jags back in those days.

At the end of any home game I'd run down to the bus stop to get either a 60 or 61 to Renfield Street and dasg round to look in the SSEB shop window in Sauchiehall Street to get the results and if I had the money, buy the Green Citizen or the Pink times before getting the next bus back to the East End.

Nowadays, I only care about hearing one teams result and more often than not, I couldn't tell you what else happened in the world of football.

Always used to like picking up the evening sports papers when we were in the pub after away games - the Edinburgh Evening News pink when we beat Hearts 5 - 2 was a bit of a classic, bought in The Golden Rule up in Polwarth. I've even kept hold of the Dundee Evening Sport Courier (or whatever it was called) from the day we beat Dundee 3 - 0 during the relegation to 2nd Season.