Jags Players

brodieboy

There are bound to be a great number of players to pull on the red and yellow who could and maybe should have gone on to bigger and/or better things. Who knows, some of them might still have a chance?

For the same reasons (injuries),I'll start the ball rolling with;

Scott Paterson

Martin Lauchlan

There are bound to be a great number of players to pull on the red and yellow who could and maybe should have gone on to bigger and/or better things.

That's what I'd have thought so how come I can hardly think of any? I've been beaten to John Hansen who undoubtedly could have gone on to get more caps (even if he played in an era when Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain were about).

I feel injuries hampered Hardie's career after he left us and I'm kinda surprised Marc Smyth's not gone up a level (he may still do).

There are bound to be a great number of players to pull on the red and yellow who could and maybe should have gone on to bigger and/or better things. Who knows, some of them might still have a chance?

Scott Paterson

Martin Lauchlan

Yes, agree with both your selections. I would add Kevin McCann to that list. From the same Thistle under 16's youth team as Martin Lauchlan, Kevin was a tall centre half with real talent. Very similar in style to Scott Paterson. A stand out at youth team level he played a couple of games for the first team around the same time Martin Lauchlan also made the break through. I was expecting great things from Kevin but for some reason it never quite happened. Just goes to prove that there are no guarantees in football!

Yes, agree with both your selections. I would add Kevin McCann to that list. From the same Thistle under 16's youth team as Martin Lauchlan, Kevin was a tall centre half with real talent. Very similar in style to Scott Paterson. A stand out at youth team level he played a couple of games for the first team around the same time Martin Lauchlan also made the break through. I was expecting great things from Kevin but for some reason it never quite happened. Just goes to prove that there are no guarantees in football!

Lauchlan and McCann together c. 1996-97

Archie Lochrie a great winger murderd by R..gers Tam Forsyth at Firhill and of course the fabulous Johnny Gibson after a stamp on his knee by John Cushley.

Kevin Budd was also 'injured' by Rangers Scott McCulloch in a reserve game, Budd was also about to be called into Craig Brown's U21 Squad. Would have been the first Thistle reserve player called up to the Under 21's since Billy Thomson in 1977.

Charlie Adams

Do you mean Charlie Adam?

I'd agree with Lauchlan, Morgan and Paterson. Morgan and Lauchlan were two of my favourite players in my first season or two watching thistle, and Paterson is probably one of the most talented players I've ever seen at Firhill.

edit typo

Edited by twinny

Great photo! I see there are a few question marks in the list of players so here are a few of the missing names. Coach far left is Drew Todd, player to the right of Kevin McCann surname is Hammell, if I remember correctly he is the brother of Stephen Hammell of Motherwell, last player back row on right in David Turnbull, man of many clubs senior & junior, Coach on right hand side is not Gordon Chisholm it is Fraser Gilchrist, Front row far left is Tony Fraser and far right is Bryan Smith, another player who should have made it in the professional game but didn't

Do you mean Charlie Adam?

I'd agree with Lauchlan, Morgan and Paterson. Morgan and Lauchlan were two of my favourite players in my first season or two watching thistle, and Paterson is probably one of the most talented players I've ever seen at Firhill.

edit typo

No Charlie Adams,blonde haired striker with a bit of pace and scored a few goals.

Late 90's I think.similar to Isaac English bur better.

I thought he was a player with a future.

Don't know what happened to him.

Scott Paterson

Martin Lauchlan

Juan Ramon Escalas

No Charlie Adams,blonde haired striker with a bit of pace and scored a few goals.

Late 90's I think.similar to Isaac English bur better.

I thought he was a player with a future.

Don't know what happened to him.

Ah - glad I didn't make a sarky comment now :lol:

Just googled him and found this. A site I've stumbled upon in the past but can never find it when I want to, fairly up to date (end of last season). It seems Adams played for us until 1998 and I started going in 1997, I don't remember him - I only remember a handfull from that season - but I might have a look in some programmes next time I'm back home.

Great photo! I see there are a few question marks in the list of players so here are a few of the missing names. Coach far left is Drew Todd, player to the right of Kevin McCann surname is Hammell, if I remember correctly he is the brother of Stephen Hammell of Motherwell, last player back row on right in David Turnbull, man of many clubs senior & junior, Coach on right hand side is not Gordon Chisholm it is Fraser Gilchrist, Front row far left is Tony Fraser and far right is Bryan Smith, another player who should have made it in the professional game but didn't

Great stuff I'm always looking for any assistance.

i also have a few gaps in these team groups 1997 Youth team and 1997-98 Youth team ? :thinking: