Derek Young

King Kenny

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be a good signing for us. Seem to remember him being decent when he linked up with Alex Burns a few years back. ~Or did I just imagine it :blink:

Certainly missed by several seasons playing together in a Jags side if that's what you mean. Given the number of clubs he was at Toastie probably played in the same side has half the footballers in Scotland but I've a feeling those two were never in the same team. :unsure:

Campbell had mair duds than the Irish Match testing factory!!

That's interesting. There's no doubting he signed some shiters, but I'd be interested to see a comparison between his and McCall's signings. I'm willing to bet that Jobby brought in close to as many duds as dickie boy and none of them (bar maybe the Harkins transfer fee) made as great a contribution to the Thistle cause than Mark Roberts.

That's interesting. There's no doubting he signed some shiters, but I'd be interested to see a comparison between his and McCall's signings. I'm willing to bet that Jobby brought in close to as many duds as dickie boy and none of them (bar maybe the Harkins transfer fee) made as great a contribution to the Thistle cause than Mark Roberts.

Possibly, but you would need to factor in comparing budgets etc. McCall's budget was far far smaller and Campbell never needed to go looking at Junior options though to be fair the Junior players we did sign Doolan and Erskine have been on the whole pretty good signings.

Like the Harkins signing fee, the Twaddle signing fee did the club no harm either.

Neither did McCall, Bobby Dinnie did it for him. It's not about how much money you have, but rather how you spend it. Can you honestly say McCall didn't spunk cash away, either?

No I certainly can't - guys like Jim Hamilton, Stevie Lennon, Steve Lovell, Martin Grehan, Bryn Halliwell are just a few off the top of my head. There were plenty more in addition to those as well.

One thing about Campbell and for once on the plus side was he seemed to be able to instill a high level of team spirit. That's maybe the reason I found Young's time with us disappointing. Most of Dick's team couldn't play much football but most of them you couldn't fault for trying. Young clearly could play the game but imo held back.

I'm willing to accept that his drop down a division affected his motivation and he could well be a very useful addition. The guy's versatile, a quality that's almost prerequisite for a McNamara signing, so that reduces the risk factor somewhat.

Not sure what his preferred position is these days but I assume he's not been pushed forward that much given he's hardly ever scored for Aberdeen.

One thing about Campbell and for once on the plus side was he seemed to be able to instill a high level of team spirit. That's maybe the reason I found Young's time with us disappointing. Most of Dick's team couldn't play much football but most of them you couldn't fault for trying. Young clearly could play the game but imo held back.

I'm willing to accept that his drop down a division affected his motivation and he could well be a very useful addition. The guy's versatile, a quality that's almost prerequisite for a McNamara signing, so that reduces the risk factor somewhat.

Not sure what his preferred position is these days but I assume he's not been pushed forward that much given he's hardly ever scored for Aberdeen.

I cant say I blame Young since DC played him at full back on more than one occasion.

I wonder if indeded there is some truth in this rumour how much Simon Donnelly has to do with it. I mention this as my favourite memory of Young was him being involved in the build up (along with Mark Roberts) to Sid's goal at Palmerston which was a thing of footballing beauty (something we had been seriously starved of under DC)

I'll be disappointed if we do sign Young. Another end-of-career type who'll keep our youngsters out of the team for even longer, while giving us very little in return. The odd goal here or there if we're lucky; probably exactly what youngsters might do.

Glad to eat humble pie if it gets offered!

as much as we all like to see the youngsters get a game, obviously Jackie Mac doesnt think they are good enough yet, Fraser on loan and Burns and McGrotty are nowhere to be seen. I dont think the boy Mcbeth will be near the team either this season.

as much as we all like to see the youngsters get a game, obviously Jackie Mac doesnt think they are good enough yet, Fraser on loan and Burns and McGrotty are nowhere to be seen. I dont think the boy Mcbeth will be near the team either this season.

Burns is on loan (93 days) at Clydebank. McBeth, Stevenson and Ketterer must be injured as they, unlike McGrotty, have not featured for the reserves. Of the youngsters that got a few games last season, only Bannigan is currently getting a place on the bench as Campbell has lost out to O'Donnell. It would be no surprise to see more departures out on loan in January.

These recent posts lead me again to question whether the money that goes into youth development is really the best use of resources. Any of the youngsters who it was thought might break into the team (Bannigan, Campbell, Fraser, Burns) seem pretty much out of the picture, eclipsed by other (young) guys brought in for very little cash (if any) from elsewhere.

We struggle to keep a full-time first team squad on the go. I don't give much of a monkeys when I see the U-17s or the U-19s winning a match when the first team have just lost another game. Prioritize the 1st team!!!

J. Lambie

I feel that it's this kind of reasoning that has seen the decline of Scottish Football. Youth development is not some kind of instant fix that will work overnight, but it is certainly the way forward. I am convinced that the young guys in this team will have a part to play - they will need to as we have such a small squad. I do agree that there must be a fine balancing act between the teams but still maintain that without proper youth development not just us, but the whole of Scottish Football might as well be consigned to the extinct species list.

I feel that it's this kind of reasoning that has seen the decline of Scottish Football. Youth development is not some kind of instant fix that will work overnight, but it is certainly the way forward. I am convinced that the young guys in this team will have a part to play - they will need to as we have such a small squad. I do agree that there must be a fine balancing act between the teams but still maintain that without proper youth development not just us, but the whole of Scottish Football might as well be consigned to the extinct species list.

That just about sums up the list of Partick Thistle youth players who've made any lasting impact whatsoever to the club over the last 20 years or so.

:rolleyes:

A youth system takes time.

Jackie said that the guys who came into the 1st team at the end of last season weren't ready and will benefit from another year of being properly coached away from the pressure of 1st team football.

Anyone who doubts the benefit of a good youth policy should have alook at the cash Hamilton Accies have recieved in transfer fees in the last few seasons.

A youth system takes time.

Jackie said that the guys who came into the 1st team at the end of last season weren't ready and will benefit from another year of being properly coached away from the pressure of 1st team football.

Anyone who doubts the benefit of a good youth policy should have alook at the cash Hamilton Accies have recieved in transfer fees in the last few seasons.

Continuing to play Devil's advocate, I'd say that Hamilton are the exception, and there's no sign of that being repeated. What other teams in Scotland with "youth systems" have seen substantial profits? On the other hand, several clubs have sold on players that they invested nothing in, including us (Harkins, Twaddle).

The Youth policy is vital for the Club. There's so much more to it than simply waiting for young players to be given a chance in the first team.

Look at how well Falkirk have been doing in the league.

The Club are doing the right thing, no matter how impatient fans get.

Eh? Falkirk: Played 8, won 3. Failed to win promotion last year and just about everybody wanted rid of the manager. They've had to cut back enormously on their "youth academy" at Stirling Uni, and are on the brink of very serious trouble if they again fail to win promotion.

Continuing to play Devil's advocate, I'd say that Hamilton are the exception, and there's no sign of that being repeated. What other teams in Scotland with "youth systems" have seen substantial profits? On the other hand, several clubs have sold on players that they invested nothing in, including us (Harkins, Twaddle).

Accies aren't an exception to the rule tho' they're just one of the more successful recipients of a joiny up youth policy. Admittedly probably the worst day to point out that last night's Scotland team contained Bannan & Fletcher, two nobodies in Scotland that have gone on to represent their country. I assume they could just as easily have come thru some Scottish club's youth system.

My big hope is that what McCall initiated is being taken to a higher level by McNamara. All comments from Jackie seem to support that aspiration. I think it would be extremely helpful if we could get one of our youngsters imbedded in the first team sooner rather than later but if we have to bide our time so be it.

I realise Jaggernaut is playing the Devils Dick Advocaat but it's worth pointing out that if we fail with our current squad we'll only really have the youth structure to fall back on. Scrapping a youth policy to finance the signing of the likes of a current day Ian Harty would be as crazy as it would be unsustainable.

Eh? Falkirk: Played 8, won 3. Failed to win promotion last year and just about everybody wanted rid of the manager. They've had to cut back enormously on their "youth academy" at Stirling Uni, and are on the brink of very serious trouble if they again fail to win promotion.

They beat the h u n s with a 16 year old and 2 or 3 18 year old's in their team and they also have a few Premiership scouts sniffing about.

Even if our youth policy isn't as sucessful as the likes of Accies, it's a great thing to get as many local kids involved in the club. It does wonders for the profile of the club.