Thistle V Celtic

northernsoul

That 1980 match was about my last before I got a Saturday job at Wm Hill's above Catani the ironmongers at Anniesland Cross. Makes me feel about fifty years old. I am fifty years old! :lol:

Some of the names in both teams in those clips... Lennox, McGrain, Provan, Doyle(2), McAdam(2), Campbell, Anderson and Roughie in that 1980 game who was just superb.

Great find.

Remember that game really well.We were all in the old enclosure going mental at the equaliser.

What a great defence that was...Rough,McKinnon,Whitaker,Campbell,Anderson.Always thought that team should have acheived more.Laughable to see them getting a penalty as usual but what saves by Scruff in that game.

Remember that game really well.We were all in the old enclosure going mental at the equaliser.

What a great defence that was...Rough,McKinnon,Whitaker,Campbell,Anderson.Always thought that team should have acheived more.Laughable to see them getting a penalty as usual but what saves by Scruff in that game.

Big Roughie: incomparable.

Excellent to see 18,000 inside the old Firhill.

That brought back some memories...I was in the enclosure for that game as well...we had some good players then...and Firhill seemed to have a special atmosphere.

Three absolutely fabulous saves from Roughie...a Thistle fan shouted "You should have held it Alan" after the penalty save :D

I'm sure this game was highlighted on news at ten as Celtic slumped further into crisis. Made me proud to be a Jaggo :lol:

It's got it all.

Geordie Shaw goal. Tick.

Craig Nelson wonder save. Tick.

Peter Grant f*cking up in hilarious fashion. Tick.

FtOF. Tick.

:lol:

Big Roughie: incomparable.

Without a shadow of doubt Alan Rough was the best goal keeper I have ever witnessed :thumbsup2: The media can bang on about Jim Leighton, Andy Goram, Craig Gordon, Alan McGregor and any of the myriad of foreign imports that they have salivated over through the years all they want but none of them are fit to lace big Roughie's boots :happy2:

Without a shadow of doubt Alan Rough was the best goal keeper I have ever witnessed :thumbsup2: The media can bang on about Jim Leighton, Andy Goram, Craig Gordon, Alan McGregor and any of the myriad of foreign imports that they have salivated over through the years all they want but none of them are fit to lace big Roughie's boots :happy2:

David Klein :ph34r::P

Watching the two later games made me see more than a passing resemblance in style between Donald Park and Paul Cairney, though Park has more pace. Both are right wee needles, probably a nightmare to play against!

nice comparison, but miles apart. Park always played on the right & his crossing was superb. He created many goals for Somner, Melrose & especially McAdam. Also chipped in a few times himself. He won the Sunday Mail player of the season twice in a row IIRC & he was Jags MOTM most weeks. Fantastic player :thumbsup2:

my hero when I was young, & will also be the greatest Jag for me :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

nice comparison, but miles apart. Park always played on the right & his crossing was superb. He created many goals for Somner, Melrose & especially McAdam. Also chipped in a few times himself. He won the Sunday Mail player of the season twice in a row IIRC & he was Jags MOTM most weeks. Fantastic player :thumbsup2:

Points all taken!

I 'm thinking more of their posture and the way they bustle into players to try to win the ball back. Park was indeed a great winger. If Cairney continues to progress, he may well become a Jags legend.

Genuine question... was the football back then a bit naive? In all three games, both teams are piling forward, with Arthur Montford at one point noting that ten Celtic players were in the Thistle half. There were some real cavalry charges in all of the highlights and at one point, Colin McAdam, allegedly centre forward, defending his own front post and not at a set piece.

Sure it was great to watch, but it looks just mental in a modern context.

Genuine question... was the football back then a bit naive? In all three games, both teams are piling forward, with Arthur Montford at one point noting that ten Celtic players were in the Thistle half. There were some real cavalry charges in all of the highlights and at one point, Colin McAdam, allegedly centre forward, defending his own front post and not at a set piece.

Is football today as smart as it thinks it is?

There's nothing about that 1980 Celtic game that I wouldn't happily pay to watch every week. Not that every game was like that - God knows it could be grim and clueless at times - but that "just mental" stuff is the stuff we desperately need back in the game. But it isn't coming back and neither are a lot of those fans.

Everybody was stoned out of their heads. Arthur Montford included.

Also Park was a leader. Cairney might become one when he's older but he isn't now. Thing I loved about Park was thought he could play as a fairly skillful winger, he could also play in midfield with plenty of dig - and on top of that he hated when his team mates weren't doing their best and would let them know in no uncertain manner. In fact he's the kind of player we've lacked since Danny Lennon.

Have to say about Cairney though, his natural position is centre midfield and next best position is right midfield. When he had his earlier good season with us his crossing was very good - it's not what it was at the moment but it's improving. He at least has his energy back.

Edited by Mr Bunny

naw they'd be too old! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe, but they would still give teams a hell of a game.

Big Colin McAdam was ace. Mind you when he played at the back he was a pure bombscare.

I remember at Pittodrie when we drew 1-1 he was at the back. Usual Wee Bertie deep defending he tried to head a ball away and it cracked off the underside of the bar and into big Roughies arms. I was having kittens as I was right behind the goal. :lol: