One Player, The Best

Jaggernaut

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best Thistle player I have seen in my opinion is Juan Ramon Escales. He didn't contribute a fraction of what Mark Robers, Gerry Britton, Chic Charnley did, but he was ridiculously skillful for a player at our level. Some of his touches, shots and passes were outrageous. His goal against Airdrie at Broomfield from about 35 yards, his pin-point chest passes, his control and movement to set up and then finish a move leading up to our opening goal against Airdrie in a 3-2 win at Firhill and the way he lobbed the ball over the defenders head with his right and volleyed home with his left against Queen Of The South in a 2-1 defeat. It's a shame the bad weather coupled with his mothers death, curtailed his Jags career. A great player. One of the few who would really excite you.

The best players I have seen in the flesh from other teams are:

Gazza (us against Rangers)

Brian Laudraup (us against Rangers)

Henrik Larrson (us against Celtic)

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal against Middlesbrough)

Thierry Henry (Scotland against France)

Alessandro Del Piero (Scotland against Italy)

Buffon (Scotland against Italy)

Pavel Nedved (Scotland against Czech Republic)

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal against Bolton)

Thistle - close call between Rough and McQuade but I guess it would have to be Rough as he was the most consistent. Mo Johnstone and Alan Hansen deserve mention but they didn't show their best till after they left us.

Rest - I was at that Hampden game where we played Argentina and so I could see Maradonna but to be honest from where I was standing I got a terible view of the game. Also at Hampden in 1976, saw Bayern Munich beat St Etienne (who'd been in Glasgow earlier to gub the H*ns) with Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller in the team.

Edited by Mr Bunny

The best Thistle player I have seen in my opinion is Juan Ramon Escales. He didn't contribute a fraction of what Mark Robers, Gerry Britton, Chic Charnley did, but he was ridiculously skillful for a player at our level. Some of his touches, shots and passes were outrageous. His goal against Airdrie at Broomfield from about 35 yards, his pin-point chest passes, his control and movement to set up and then finish a move leading up to our opening goal against Airdrie in a 3-2 win at Firhill and the way he lobbed the ball over the defenders head with his right and volleyed home with his left against Queen Of The South in a 2-1 defeat. It's a shame the bad weather coupled with his mothers death, curtailed his Jags career. A great player. One of the few who would really excite you.

Every now and then I think back with nostalgia to Eddie Prudham. Similar kind of situation as with Escales, though Prudham was at Firhill for even less time.

I would go with Rough although Alan Hansen could be argued. McQuade and Charnley for other reasons. I think Kenny Watson deserves some kind of mention too, great left foot if he had speed he would have been a star for Scotland for years (though probably would not have played for us).

Alan Rough,

And Pele 1966, we all went to see the great man but Billy Bremner kicked him off the park, if i remember right i don't think he came back out after half time, i was only 9 at the time so the memory is a bit hazy, but i do remember Stevie Chalmers scoring that day.

Edited by JAGZ1876

For thistle my head says Rough, but my heart says McQuade

The rest perm any one from

Eddie Gray - Scotland v Cyprus 1969 and Scotland v England 1976

Jimmy Johnstone - Scotland v England 1970, tore them to shreds and Scotland v N.Ireland 1972

Gordon Banks - Scotland v England 1970 the only reason we did not score 6

George Best - Scotland v N.Ireland 1972

Pat Jennings - Scotland v Northern Ireland 1972

Denis Law - Scotland v Northern Ireland 1972 and Wales v Scotland 1972

Kenny Dalglish - Scotland v England 1976 and Wales v Scotland 1977

Happy days but sad to see two of the above died early.

Alan Rough

Pele - Brazil played Scotland at Hampden Park in a warm up game just before the 1966 World Cup Finals

ditto tho' Bremner kicked Pele off the park that night. Maradona was exceptional at Hampden '79.

Roughie undoubtedly the best Jags player I've seen.

Alan Rough,

And Pele 1966, we all went to see the great man but Billy Bremner kicked him off the park, if i remember right i don't think he came back out after half time, i was only 9 at the time so the memory is a bit hazy, but i do remember Stevie Chalmers scoring that day.

I'm sure the good Lady will not wish to reveal her age, but I was 10 at the time. I do remember Billy Bremner marked Pele who probably still has the scars...Jim Baxter had a Brazilian level of skills...and Steve Chalmers(who later played for Thistle) scored in the first minute - the next day's headline was "Nobody noticed Scotland until they scored."

I recently looked this up and two of the stars of the 1970 World Cup winning Brazil side also played at Hampden that day - Jairzinho, who was the top scorer at that tournament and Gerson, the brilliant midfield general.

Sadly I was too young at the time to really appreciate footballers of that ability...and the previous week I turned down the chance to see Scotland play Portugal...my Dad came back raving about a guy called Eusebio who soon after became the sensation of the '66 World Cup.

I'm sure the good Lady will not wish to reveal her age, but I was 10 at the time. I do remember Billy Bremner marked Pele who probably still has the scars...Jim Baxter had a Brazilian level of skills...and Steve Chalmers(who later played for Thistle) scored in the first minute - the next day's headline was "Nobody noticed Scotland until they scored."

I recently looked this up and two of the stars of the 1970 World Cup winning Brazil side also played at Hampden that day - Jairzinho, who was the top scorer at that tournament and Gerson, the brilliant midfield general.

Sadly I was too young at the time to really appreciate footballers of that ability...and the previous week I turned down the chance to see Scotland play Portugal...my Dad came back raving about a guy called Eusebio who soon after became the sensation of the '66 World Cup.

This might be unfair on Chalmers, but his arrival and performances at Firhill were among the first to make me resent what seemed to me to be burnt-out old firmers turning out for us for an easy pay day, with no real interest or motivation. I also felt the same about Mabawzar, and especially John Divers. They actually contributed towards me hating the auld filth to the extent that I do today!

This might be unfair on Chalmers, but his arrival and performances at Firhill were among the first to make me resent what seemed to me to be burnt-out old firmers turning out for us for an easy pay day, with no real interest or motivation. I also felt the same about Mabawzar, and especially John Divers. They actually contributed towards me hating the auld filth to the extent that I do today!

Chalmers was indeed rubbish for us...as were several other ex-Old Firm players who washed up at Firhill...but it is a great quiz question - name the Thistle player who scored against Brazil.

although i can understand your disappointment at the level of performance the players you mention, it would be unfair to tar all ex old firm players with the same brush, as kenny watson, george niven, billy Ritchie, harold davis and roddie macdonald all gave 100% imho

although i can understand your disappointment at the level of performance the players you mention, it would be unfair to tar all ex old firm players with the same brush, as kenny watson, george niven, billy Ritchie, harold davis and roddie macdonald all gave 100% imho

You're right, of course. Niven became a legend, for example. Ritchie just wasn't as good a keeper. Watson arrived at Firhill long before being an over-the-hill has-been, etc. But I hope that the days of us signing 35+-year-olds just because they used to play for the h*ns or the tims are behind us.