Paul Paton

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Even Paddy Boyle could and frequently did actually use his right foot. Most players use their weaker foot when on the ball. They perhaps don't use it much more often to offload/shoot than Paton but they do at least use it when keeping the ball under their own control. Paton contorts his body specifically to avoid even using his left foot to set up his right foot!

Edit: The Lady has beaten me to it.

i have seen him use his other foot to trap and control the ball loads of times :thinking: so how many times would it take to please you?

dont think that sinclair use his other foot much more or less than paton but there you go

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patons limited ability is frustrating but he is pretty solid when having to defend and is god at getting out of tight situations. My biggest grip at the moment is why mcnamara is changing the team around following a decent few results. After the Morton game (which im starting to think was a freak result) the team looked great with a 442 formation with cairney on the left and odonnel on the right. since that time jackie has tried a few formations and tried to accomodate erskine after he moaned about not starting.

Erskine is utter P*sh when he starts and is far more effective when coming off the bench. Both strikers need to get involved more and that means one of them might have to get deep or push out wide and allow rowser or cairney to come inside.

Mccall arsed around with formations and it never worked, jackie needs to find his best 11 and formation and stick with it.

For me the team against morton should be the team he sends out every week.

next 2 games we must pick up 6 points with at least a point at morton or its season over for me.

Patons limited ability is frustrating but he is pretty solid when having to defend and is god at getting out of tight situations. My biggest grip at the moment is why mcnamara is changing the team around following a decent few results. After the Morton game (which im starting to think was a freak result) the team looked great with a 442 formation with cairney on the left and odonnel on the right. since that time jackie has tried a few formations and tried to accomodate erskine after he moaned about not starting.

Erskine is utter P*sh when he starts and is far more effective when coming off the bench. Both strikers need to get involved more and that means one of them might have to get deep or push out wide and allow rowser or cairney to come inside.

Mccall arsed around with formations and it never worked, jackie needs to find his best 11 and formation and stick with it.

For me the team against morton should be the team he sends out every week.

next 2 games we must pick up 6 points with at least a point at morton or its season over for me.

to be honest i think that is the problem, i have lost count how many times i see them with the ball in our half to then find the final ball to score has gone to rowson or hutton. i think our strickers do to much defencive work and should be getting more help/supply from the mid field, which i will give you is dificult when archie humps the ball up field

i have seen him use his other foot to trap and control the ball loads of times :thinking: so how many times would it take to please you?

dont think that sinclair use his other foot much more or less than paton but there you go

I think you need to go to the opticians then, because Paton goes out of his way to trap the ball on his right foot. Also, notice that even when Sinclair uses mainly his left foot, he's still more than capable of cutting inside with it without having to turn like a bloody u-boat. When Paton is on the Jackie Husband stand side he almost without fail executes a pass while facing the dugouts. He doesn't do passes forward on the deck or cutting inside while still moving forward. What's more, he doesn't even try to take on a man on the outside.

to be honest i think that is the problem, i have lost count how many times i see them with the ball in our half to then find the final ball to score has gone to rowson or hutton. i think our strikers do to much defencive work and should be getting more help/supply from the mid field, which i will give you is dificult when archie humps the ball up field

Much as I see it. Maybe if Doolan's first touch wasn't so good, and Stewart's was particularly good yesterday as well, then Archie, Paton & Co would work the ball thru the midfield far more often.

How many times at our level will you see a striker get the first ball out the defence move it on then be in position for scoring from the final ball? That's Match of the Day stuff and if the guy was that good he'd be playing at a higher level. Even from economical reasons because of all that running around to be on the end of the boot up the park more or less ensures that at least one of our strikers (usually Doolan) will be knackered before the last quarter of the game.

Like johnkebab says the 4-4-2 with O'Donnell & Cairney* on the flanks looked promising. Certainly better than seeing two strikers forced out to the wings to collect speculative long punts.

*edited to add if one of those two is needed elsewhere, injured or off form there's always Jamie Campbell who can easily fit that role.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Paul's mobility seems to be impaired from his ankle injury. I watched the youtube of the Annan lc game a couple of seasons ago and he sprinted up the wing like a whippet. I think the effect of the injury has curtailed his forward play a lot. He is still sound defensively and can cover the central defence. His distribution has been poor this season despite getting into positive positions fairly regularly.

I think he would prefer to play with O'Donnell in front of him. Chris Erskine starting on the right does not ever work imo. Fair enough as an impact sub but not for the full game. We're a 1/3 way through the season and things have slowed and most lingering hopes of a promotion challenge have been extinguished. However I think we are capable of a top four place.

That is if we can start getting more chances to our forwards. There lack of service is affecting their confidence when they get a half-chance. Doolanhino has looked the most likely to score if given a shot. Stewart has missed a few sitters and Christie maybe needs a couple of games coming off the bench. Culter could be a good morale booster if they can all get amongst the goals.

Today my cup is half full ;)

I think you need to go to the opticians then, because Paton goes out of his way to trap the ball on his right foot. Also, notice that even when Sinclair uses mainly his left foot, he's still more than capable of cutting inside with it without having to turn like a bloody u-boat. When Paton is on the Jackie Husband stand side he almost without fail executes a pass while facing the dugouts. He doesn't do passes forward on the deck or cutting inside while still moving forward. What's more, he doesn't even try to take on a man on the outside.

That's right, but to be fair to him (and as I already mentioned), that's because he's as slow as a week in jail. He just doesn't have the speed to get past anybody on the outside, Or even the inside, for that matter, which is why if he doesn't just hump the ball forward he goes crab-like or, more and more often these days, backwards. This, plus his above-average one-footedness (in spite of Jaggybunnet's unique failure to acknowledge it) pretty much nullifies him as being useful in an attacking role. And yet he waded in with a few decent goals in the last year or two. Is it really just that other teams now have him perfectly sussed?

I've no complaints against his defensive performances or his lack of effort, though he does come across as playing the blame game a bit more easily these days.

Edited by Jaggernaut

That's right, but to be fair to him (and as I already mentioned), that's because he's as slow as a week in jail. He just doesn't have the speed to get past anybody on the outside, Or even the inside, for that matter, which is why if he doesn't just hump the ball forward he goes crab-like or, more and more often these days, backwards. This, plus his above-average one-footedness (in spite of Jaggybunnet's unique failure to acknowledge it) pretty much nullifies him as being useful in an attacking role. And yet he waded in with a few decent goals in the last year or two. Is it really just that other teams now have him perfectly sussed?

I've no complaints against his defensive performances or his lack of effort, though he does come across as playing the blame game a bit more easily these days.

never said he wasnt, just dont see why its a big thing for him and not for the rest of the team, i too would like hime to get forward but wonder if he has been told not to so he can cover for the drednoughts at the back

Have to agree with the original poster.

He's turned into a journeyman who is looking to do the bare minimum to earn his money. He knows we don't have any serious competition in that position which makes him untouchable. He doesn't seem eager to do go above and beyond for the team. Unfortunately there are too many like him in the squad just now.

I also don't like his attitude towards the fans.

For a professional footballer to be incapable of using his weaker foot, it's just unacceptable. How do I know he hasn't been working on it? Because he's just as sh*te with his left foot as he was 3 years ago!!!!

yes that will be why he manages to track back and get a tackle in when most of our team are still at the half way line

very harsh, like i said with a defence such as ours what do you expect him to do

tell me who all these two footed players in our team are please? :thinking:

and what dafty thinks that throwing abuse at players helps them to play better :mad2:

Paul Paton :)

Pauls standing peg gets us a point! at 3:36

Edited by Jagsfan58

A few points on this one, as someone who has had to listen to the dogs abuse PP has had of late.

1. He is a full back. What exactly do you expect him to create?

2. He is as one footed as Sinclair, or Doolan, or Cairney, or ahem Archibald...

3. At least he makes himself available for a pass, unlike many who hide, which is why his flaws... may stand out.

4. As for the sneering, wtf do you expect, given the abuse he gets?

5. Bobby Law got exactly the same treatment from many Jags fans ( sic ). Now he is a legend....

6. We are a middle of the road second division team.We get what we deserve.

7. Finally, oour problems as up front, not really at the back. Is that not obvious?

i presume that due to you silky skills with both feet you will be playing for man city next week....no thought not :rolleyes:

What an utterly pointless comment.

Just because someone has a criticism of a players inabilities it automatically means they themselves must have said abilities before they pass judgement?

If Mr Cheesecloth might not be impeccably skilled with both feet, but he isn’t the one pretending to be a professional footballer. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Munkey

What an utterly pointless comment.

Just because someone has a criticism of a players inabilities it automatically means they themselves must have said abilities before they pass judgement?

If Mr Cheesecloth might not be impeccably skilled with both feet, but he isn’t the one pretending to be a professional footballer. :thumbsup2:

no it is not pointless, my point was that he thought it was easy to use your other foot when its not

soooooo the only pointless comment was yours :P

no it is not pointless, my point was that he thought it was easy to use your other foot when its not

soooooo the only pointless comment was yours :P

That is just nonsense. I never realised having an opinion was dependent on having footballing ability.

I happen to think the OP is being a tad harsh on Paton but I agree wholeheartedly that his total lack of capability with his left foot is embarrassing. Paton is paid to be a professional footballer, the OP is not, so drawing any comparison on their respective footballing abilities is totally irrelevant. I'm nowhere near being a professional footballer but I can use both feet. If I had every day to work on improving it, I'd certainly be more comfortable on my left foot than Paton is.

That is just nonsense. I never realised having an opinion was dependent on having footballing ability.

I happen to think the OP is being a tad harsh on Paton but I agree wholeheartedly that his total lack of capability with his left foot is embarrassing. Paton is paid to be a professional footballer, the OP is not, so drawing any comparison on their respective footballing abilities is totally irrelevant. I'm nowhere near being a professional footballer but I can use both feet. If I had every day to work on improving it, I'd certainly be more comfortable on my left foot than Paton is.

he can use both feet but just not as comfortable as some

my point is that not everyone can, infact very few in the team that i have seen can so why pick out PP and not the rest.

and my point on OPs footballing ability was if it was that easy we would all be two footed.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Hi Jaggybunnet, better score you off my invite for a game of 5s, I don't like it when people give me nasties. I play a bit of football, and I usually play in goals. I used to be very weak diving to my left, but have recently improved (to a respectable level), and can now deal competently with shots to both sides. This was through applying myself during my 1 hour of football a week. Paul Paton is a professional, he trains probably 5 days of seven, maybe for about 4 hours? So thats maybe 20 hours a week he has to try to get a bit better.

When PP runs round the ball just to get it on his left, normally causing problems for others, its really not very ideal.

To the poster who put up the video of PP setting up a goal, well done. I could find you a video of Adam Strachan setting up a goal, and even witnessed Martin Grehan score a goal! This didn't make any of these players any good. If only the 'other' parts of the games were shown in the highlights, such as Paul Paton giving pointless abuse to his teammates, Paul Paton pointing at space, Paul Paton dithering while trying to work out how to not use his left foot, I could keep going.

Paul is not a scapegoat, he is a player who needs to up his game, improve his attitude, and take some responsibility for his own development.

Hi Jaggybunnet, better score you off my invite for a game of 5s, I don't like it when people give me nasties. I play a bit of football, and I usually play in goals. I used to be very weak diving to my left, but have recently improved (to a respectable level), and can now deal competently with shots to both sides. This was through applying myself during my 1 hour of football a week. Paul Paton is a professional, he trains probably 5 days of seven, maybe for about 4 hours? So thats maybe 20 hours a week he has to try to get a bit better.

When PP runs round the ball just to get it on his left, normally causing problems for others, its really not very ideal.

To the poster who put up the video of PP setting up a goal, well done. I could find you a video of Adam Strachan setting up a goal, and even witnessed Martin Grehan score a goal! This didn't make any of these players any good. If only the 'other' parts of the games were shown in the highlights, such as Paul Paton giving pointless abuse to his teammates, Paul Paton pointing at space, Paul Paton dithering while trying to work out how to not use his left foot, I could keep going.

Paul is not a scapegoat, he is a player who needs to up his game, improve his attitude, and take some responsibility for his own development.

if you want an old overweight bloke to fill the goals I am your man ..I am crap though :D

we can agree to disagree especially about his attitude, people shouldn't give out personal abuse if they cant take it back

my main point, which I have obviously failed miserably to get across is that there are few in the team (or other teams) that I have seen that are comfortable on there other foot but nothing is said about it, so why paton?

Edited by jaggybunnet

if you want an old overweight bloke to fill the goals I am your man ..I am crap though :D

we can agree to disagree especially about his attitude, people shouldn't give out personal abuse if they cant take it back

my main point, which I have obviously failed miserably to get across is that there are few in the team (or other teams) that I have seen that are comfortable on there other foot but nothing is said about it, so why paton?

Might it be suggested that just about everybody has noticed it in Paton much more than in other players, which in turn suggests that it might be an extreme case?

Might it be suggested that just about everybody has noticed it in Paton much more than in other players, which in turn suggests that it might be an extreme case?

has it, where? people have comented that he dosent use it as much as some but not that he is the worst :thinking:

hey ho I just think people are having a dig for the sake of it or because they don't like him personally and I don't think anyone has the right to personally abuse him or any player when they are playing, I just cant see (apart from venting there spleen ) what good it does,.

next time you are at work get some passer by to stand and throw abuse at your/the company staff and see how well they do.

Edited by jaggybunnet

next time you are at work get some passer by to stand and throw abuse at your/the company staff and see how well they do.

maybe.

i can't write with my left hand... no one can read what i write with my right hand... yet i think i'm fckin Shakespeare! i loose the rag and blame others if the don't understand my work...

Who's to blame?