No Fun At Firhill?

redhulk44

There is very little atmosphere at Firhill, nobody sings, nobody makes a effort to chant, all you hear is Frickin moaning at players, manager etc, To be honest i have seen more life and excitment in a Elderly Nursing home, Jags fans are turning into Victor Meldrew, whats wrong with the Jags fans? we should be singing, chanting, banging drums, i know the team are crap just now, but i bet even if we were winning we would still not be singing, i have been to other football matches and when i come back to watch the Jags play the fan atmosphere is terrible, it really is depressing, no wonder the other teams talk about the jags fans, we really need to cheer up and get behind our team, whats wrong are some of us just snobs, westend toffs?, come on Jags fans lighten up for Gods Sake! :partyhat:

the team are crap

Theres your answer! And it doesnt help when your singing support are stuffed away in a far faraway corner of the fecking JH stand opposite side to the away support where no one can hear them. Firhill is now a unexciting lifeless eye sore with pigeon shit covered seats, bog awful catering, and a sense that the club are going nowhere fast. But hey I feel like a feckin magnet continuesly drawn to the rusting piece of s**t we call Firhill for Thrills. Edited by jonboy

There is very little atmosphere at Firhill, nobody sings, nobody makes a effort to chant, all you hear is Frickin moaning at players, manager etc, To be honest i have seen more life and excitment in a Elderly Nursing home, Jags fans are turning into Victor Meldrew, whats wrong with the Jags fans? we should be singing, chanting, banging drums, i know the team are crap just now, but i bet even if we were winning we would still not be singing, i have been to other football matches and when i come back to watch the Jags play the fan atmosphere is terrible, it really is depressing, no wonder the other teams talk about the jags fans, we really need to cheer up and get behind our team, whats wrong are some of us just snobs, westend toffs?, come on Jags fans lighten up for Gods Sake! :partyhat:

Totally agree with you.Away supporters generate more noise than the home support at every game.No wonder the team are not playing well when they see the lack of support for them.Crap supporters deserve a crap team.C'mon Jags fans make noise get behind the team. :ptfc::clapping: :clapping:

A crap team deserve crap supporters. They're the ones getting paid, we're the ones paying. But yeah, Maybe organising a song song for a game regardless of the performance and result

Might be the best way forward. And yes, I say organising because that's probably what it will take.

Edited: the players get paid, not laid.

Edited by PaleGreySky

Totally agree with you.Away supporters generate more noise than the home support at every game.No wonder the team are not playing well when they see the lack of support for them.Crap supporters deserve a crap team.C'mon Jags fans make noise get behind the team. :ptfc::clapping: :clapping:

Yes the Ayr United fans were singing away even when they were losing, our players must look at us and say "My God what a Bunch of Misery Guts"

It's true that as the fans' aspirations for this season progressively disappeared after a series of rank-rotten displays, the atmosphere has pretty much died. I don't boo our players even when they are having nightmares, and I try to be enthusiastic whenever there is a glimpse of some good football.

Having said that, I can remember on many occasions when there has been a big crowd and a great atmosphere inside Firhill, for a bigger-than-normal occasion, the team has totally flopped, leaving everybody disappointed yet again. It has also happened too often on what should have been great away days too. It's tough!!

A crap team deserve crap supporters. They're the ones getting laid, we're the ones paying. But yeah, Maybe organising a song song for a game regardless of the performance and result

Might be the best way forward. And yes, I say organising because that's probably what it will take.

Yes we need to do something!

I agree with some of your points, but what is there to be excitied about? Our season is over already as we can't go up and we won't go down so the games are now meaningless. It's been that way for a while and unfortunately I don't see it changing unless we see something to get motivated about to give us that boost.

The bit in bold, just no.

Yes the Ayr United fans were singing away even when they were losing, our players must look at us and say "My God what a Bunch of Misery Guts"

Fair point, and an illustration of how things have changed in recent years is when I look back at the 0-6 (1-6?) gubbing at Gretna. I managed to get 3 mates to come with me that day (all H*ns) and to this day they go on about how, despite getting walloped, the Jags fans sang for 90 mins virtually non-stop. They were suitably impressed with our fans' efforts that day, if not the team's performance.

Fat chance of that happening these days :( .

I agree with some of your points, but what is there to be excitied about? Our season is over already as we can't go up and we won't go down so the games are now meaningless. It's been that way for a while and unfortunately I don't see it changing unless we see something to get motivated about to give us that boost.

You're right, but I would say that they are especially meaningless for Jags fans as our role seems to be to give players from another team (the h u n s) plenty of match time. Honestly, if at this stage in the season we still can't play our own youngsters then the youth system ought to be scrapped.

You're right, but I would say that they are especially meaningless for Jags fans as our role seems to be to give players from another team (the h u n s) plenty of match time. Honestly, if at this stage in the season we still can't play our own youngsters then the youth system ought to be scrapped.

Agree that the atmosphere could be better but I have never seen a fan score a goal yet,and to be honest away supporters are normally noisy as they are the real hardcore whatever the team.The long and short of it is if the team improves in effort and skill terms the fans will back them.

Not taking anything away from the view that we don't create much of an atmosphere at Firhill but imo most of the grounds we visit the home fans are also rather hushed in their encouragement for their team. I imagine Dundee (I don't go to Dens) would be an exception to that rule and Falkirk's fans aren't that quiet but as for the rest they're much the same as us.

Year on tear the tedium caused by no small part by the repetitiveness of only ever having nine or so clubs visit us has to play a part in killing atmosphere...

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Crowds will generally react to meaningful games, of which there's been very few at firhill in the past few years.

Adding a SPL 11th/D1 2nd/3rd/4th playoff would make such a massive difference to our division it's not even funny. Look at it now, you'd have County, Falkirk & Dundee going for the title and us, Hamilton, Livi and Morton scrapping for a playoff place.

When I 1st came to Firhill as a boy, the main reason I couldn't wait to go back was the atmosphere, the place was jumping most games & I loved it. Nowadays? We could be winning 5-0 & it's like a library. Not blaming anyone, or any group of fans, it's everyone's responsibility, but I don't see how with some decent ideas the atmosphere at games couldn't be brought back bit by bit.

Alcohol sales at the game would probably help, as well as bring in income.

When I 1st came to Firhill as a boy, the main reason I couldn't wait to go back was the atmosphere, the place was jumping most games & I loved it. Nowadays? We could be winning 5-0 & it's like a library. Not blaming anyone, or any group of fans, it's everyone's responsibility, but I don't see how with some decent ideas the atmosphere at games couldn't be brought back bit by bit.

Alcohol sales at the game would probably help, as well as bring in income.

Yes i can remember the 1970s at Firhill, great atmosphere, times have changed, it would be good if the fans could buy a couple of beers at the games and chill out, :cheers:

Edited by redhulk44

Yes i can remember the 1970s at Firhill, great atmosphere, times have changed, it would be good if the fans could buy a couple of beers at the games and chill out, :cheers:

For most of the 70s the pubs were shut between 2.45 and 5pm. Folk would often turn up at Firhill never have planned going (maybe cause their drinking buddies were going or they were just at a loose end). When the pubs started opening all day often folk who had planned to go to Firhill stayed in the pub with other drinking mates.

All thru the 70s you could take a carry out to the game. The team far more often or not were playing in the top flight. Since the 80s carry outs have been outlawed and thru the great part of that decade we played outwith the top league.

Not of course blaming our performances on the licensing and civil laws but those two drink related changes must have made a serious impact, both on numbers and attitude, on the way the team was supported. Might well have been what triggered off the slow decline in attendances and atmosphere with all the post Hillsborough changes almost being the final straw.

Our youth system seems a joke and on repeat every year. A couple of promosing players will make it through and play a few games before disappearing never to be seen again. I don't think it should be scrapped, but the way operates should be looked in to as im sure we would all like to see some players make it through.

Away fans are almost always noisier than home fans because they have made the effort to go, feel they are representing their club in enemy territory and have more often than not had a couple of refreshments. Despite all that most sets of away fans are pretty quiet at Firhill these days.

At home games the past few seasons there are probably about 4 or 5 groups of guys who start songs, the product on offer is so terrible lots of these groups are now missing most games. When going through a bad spell people will still ‘support the team’ but when going through one of the most miserable seasons in living memory it eventually stops. This is the fault of the player and as such the fault of the manager. The layout of Firhill doesn’t help either.

I've got to say the Thistle support are turning into a bunch of whiney negative mopes and I am being tactful here. People talk about product on the park and atmosphere as if Firhill was turning away fans of yesteryear as the team were the early Barcelona.

We are a Division One team who attempt to play football on the ground with a young manager. However if someone like Erskine tries to beat a man and fails the crowd are on his back howling at him. If O'Donnel makes a bad pass similar. Players then start to play the easy boring and safe ball and hide on the pitch to stop a load of abuse being shouted their way from most people who couldn't trap a bag of cement. The past few games has been like watching school football with a bunch of agressive negative neds barracking from the sidelines. Everything that is wrong with Scottish football and the attitude and culture within.

Dundee 0-0 and Morton 0-0 games were to me enjoyable and showed the team were trying to play football and not lumping it up the park. QOTS cup result was "one of those games" where we were robbed which happens in every league in the world. Talk of "the seasons over" as if we are regularly filling our cabinet with silverware is over the top drama. We go to watch the team to support them, get caught up in the performance and result and hope that sometimes we get entertained. A bit more positivity from the fans instead of bitching in the stadium or on message boards would bring dividends.

Talk of "the seasons over" as if we are regularly filling our cabinet with silverware is over the top drama.

I can't say I agree with that. We should at least be able to expect being involved in some form of meaningful competition in the second tier of football past February. No-one expects trophies, we just expect not to be uncompetitive if we're not goin to play in the top division.

I agree with te stuff about Erskine though. Criticism of him is ridiculous. He's one of the only players able to threaten other teams defences once they've got behind the ball. If we didn't have him we'd have no one to give the ball to to beat a man.

I've got to say the Thistle support are turning into a bunch of whiney negative mopes and I am being tactful here. People talk about product on the park and atmosphere as if Firhill was turning away fans of yesteryear as the team were the early Barcelona.

We are a Division One team who attempt to play football on the ground with a young manager. However if someone like Erskine tries to beat a man and fails the crowd are on his back howling at him. If O'Donnel makes a bad pass similar. Players then start to play the easy boring and safe ball and hide on the pitch to stop a load of abuse being shouted their way from most people who couldn't trap a bag of cement. The past few games has been like watching school football with a bunch of agressive negative neds barracking from the sidelines. Everything that is wrong with Scottish football and the attitude and culture within.

Dundee 0-0 and Morton 0-0 games were to me enjoyable and showed the team were trying to play football and not lumping it up the park. QOTS cup result was "one of those games" where we were robbed which happens in every league in the world. Talk of "the seasons over" as if we are regularly filling our cabinet with silverware is over the top drama. We go to watch the team to support them, get caught up in the performance and result and hope that sometimes we get entertained. A bit more positivity from the fans instead of bitching in the stadium or on message boards would bring dividends.

I agree, i enjoyed the Dundee and Morton games, look at SPL teams Aberdeen, St Mirren, Hibernian, like watching paint dry, crap boring football, these teams should be in the 1st Division.

Edited by redhulk44

Best post on here for a long time

I agree with te stuff about Erskine though. Criticism of him is ridiculous. He's one of the only players able to threaten other teams defences once they've got behind the ball. If we didn't have him we'd have no one to give the ball to to beat a man.

And that's how far we have dropped when a 2nd division player, at best, is seen as our "entertainer".

Bad times indeed.