Best And Worst Football Stadiums In The Sfl?

redhulk44

I agree who would like a stadium like falkirk's especially with the 6 fingered banjo players slabbering abuse at you while grooving to ammorillo plus the stadiums atmosphere is dead. ( as you can see I have had previous with Falkirk fans when I sat at the edge of the away stand last year. Was great when we went 3 up though :)

Why do people like Falkirk's stadium? A shining beacon standing proud in a wilderness, or a thrown-up, three-quarter-finished eyesore in some nice fields? The vast emptiness of the non-existent side make it look very stupid, and the rest is just Lego.

Absolutely agree. Why don't they call themselves Grangemouth FC because they're a damn sight closer to that photochemical smog-generating eyesore than they are to Falkirk. And what do they actually call it? I like referring to it as the Falkirkshire and Clackmannan Cat and Dog home stadium in reference to their sponsors when talking to a Falkirk-supporting mate in work, but does it have a REAL name?

Not a patch on Brockville - near to the Behind The Wall pub, near to Falkirk Grahamston....you can shove your out of town stadia up your jacksie.

Somerset, Palmerston and Dingwall are my favourite 3 for the complete away day experience in terms of travel/pubs/location/friendliness.

Falkirk's ground would be amazing if it had 4 sides, the sightlines and room in the away stand behind the goal are brilliant.

I've not been to some of the tiny wee diddy grounds but I can't imagine much worse than Cowdenbeath in terms of grimness.

Yon last time we played at Cowdenbeath midweek was perhaps the only time I've wished I'd been at some legoland stadium instead. If I had to choose out of all those out the road new stadia once in the ground I think Airdrie's is the best.

Uber picks out by far the three best away days. Pity we could lose all three for next season and possibly be replaced by two trips to Fife (Pars & Cowden) and also Dumbarton, which in my mind combines just about the worst stadium and blandest place to visit. Having just one stand accommodating both set of fans isn't something we should really be complaining about but when that one stand faces due north it must on occasions be absolutely freezing.

Must disagree with all the lovers of the new Falkirk shecht hole, and those who are slagging off the old Brockville.

The old ground:

• deathtrap
  • smelly
  • before-they-put-that-fence-up-there-were-running-battles-throughout-the-game
  • once-they-put-up-that-fence-you-could-see-fk-all

...but do you not remember the signing? the intensity of games there? the fact that it was only 200 yds to the train station, with the only decent boozer in Central Scotland 100 yds behind that? the fact that some local bams had tagged "Falkirk Fear" on the wall nearby?

Nostalgia may indeed be a "wonderful thing" but that doesn't mean that it is wrong to prefer football red in tooth and claw over some grey soulless pish-hole where the only atmosphere is that generated by the nearby petroleum plant.

Wasn't it shiteholes that made for atmosphere at Scottish football grounds? It's the soulless shiteholes that, in my opinion, are a major contributing factor to the death of the sport as we know it.

This is why I despair of us ever setting up shop in a pishy wee 4k capacity 2 or 3 sided midden. It will be clean and technically well constructed but atmosphere-free. Looking at pictures of the new Bayview and Dumbarton's ground make me realise that our game is virtually stone dead. Unlike some others, I liked the shitehole that was Brockville; never a dull moment there. The new stadium isn't a patch on the old one.

In those days there were some great Junior shiteholes too, all 4-sided and with decent capacities, like Petershill, Ashfield and Glencairn - all gone now, I believe. :(

Edited to add: Ashfield's ground is still there I'm sure.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Must disagree with all the lovers of the new Falkirk shecht hole, and those who are slagging off the old Brockville.

The old ground:

• deathtrap
  • smelly
  • before-they-put-that-fence-up-there-were-running-battles-throughout-the-game
  • once-they-put-up-that-fence-you-could-see-fk-all

...but do you not remember the signing? the intensity of games there? the fact that it was only 200 yds to the train station, with the only decent boozer in Central Scotland 100 yds behind that? the fact that some local bams had tagged "Falkirk Fear" on the wall nearby?

Nostalgia may indeed be a "wonderful thing" but that doesn't mean that it is wrong to prefer football red in tooth and claw over some grey soulless pish-hole where the only atmosphere is that generated by the nearby petroleum plant.

Great post.

Brockville was a cauldron especially mid week under the floodlights. Some tremendous memories of that place. Gerry Britton's 30 yard effort in the last minute circa 2001. We went absolutely mental when that goal went in.

A dump it may have been but you will never re-capture the atmosphere of that place.

Falkirk old: A potential dethtrap maybe. But on it's day, one of the best grounds for atmosphere. 2 cup games spring to mind, first one was the League Cup tie that went to pens with Jim Duffy scoring the winner for us (after having been manager of Falkirk the previous season) and the 2nd was the 4-3 cup game when Cammy Duncan let in a 25 yarder from Derek McWilliams in the last few mins to let Falkirk back in the game. 2 of the best games I can remember for atmosphere.

Falkirk new: Lovely looking main stand (from the outside), however, it is a soulless legoland identikit ground in the middle of nowhere otherwise. Since my employers sold off the old ICI club to Asda, there's not a pub near it. Nearest one I can think of is the one opposite the college which makes The Jockey from Shameless look like an upmarket establishment. Nice playing surface though.

Well, as mentioned it depends on what you're talking about, quality or atmosphere, you can't have both with a 2,000 attendance at a Division One game really. I wouldn't include Dens in the list of good quality stadiums as two of the sides are a bit rubbish really, and last time I was at Airdrie there were lots of seats missing, and also it's in Airdrie. So Livvy and Falkirk are the two best.

In terms of atmosphere and an overall day out it's got to be Somerset, it has everything - a decent terracing, plenty of good pubs, near the centre, train from Glasgow.

Worst - difficult to separate some of the really terrible grounds, Cliftonhill is terrible certainly, obviously Cowdenbeath, Recreation Park was awful but I like Alloa anyway as my second team and apparently it has been improved recently. And an honourable mention for Cappielow, what a hole. Having said that, I would rather go to any of the above than Dumbarton, East Fife or Hamilton (which I really hate now, I was only back in Glasgow for two games this season, the QOS cup game and the Hamilton Friday night fiasco).