Clyde To Groundshare With Us Next Season?

Thistle_1876

To me it comes down to a few of things

- Get prior SPL approval before we put the pitch down

- Arrange a long term deal with the council to use the pitch in the afternoons for local schools

- Investigate grants as pitch will be a community asset

- "open nights" on the pitch where local kids can come along and get some training from the club , you never know we may find a player for the youth teams

I think the main blocker is SPL approval and the potential possibility of changes the league structure if Rangers were to go bust, or if the other 10 SPL clubs have the balls to puch through other changes.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should also be noted that the likes of Stewart Regan and David Longmuir from the recent BBC debate were fully in favour of artificial surfaces, two men with tremendous clout in the game, yes I know you are going to say they aren't SPL employees... Its totally spineless and flimsy if the fear of the SPL saying would put the club off installing one. Did Inverness just slink back under their rock when they told the SPL they weren't installing 10k seats?

It should also be noted that the likes of Stewart Regan and David Longmuir from the recent BBC debate were fully in favour of artificial surfaces, two men with tremendous clout in the game, yes I know you are going to say they aren't SPL employees... Its totally spineless and flimsy if the fear of the SPL saying would put the club off installing one. Did Inverness just slink back under their rock when they told the SPL they weren't installing 10k seats?

Good point! BUT did you have to remind me of that sorry debacle of Caley up and us down. Scars are deep. sob!! sob!!

Something else which hasn't been touched on properly.

Alloa, Stenny, Montrose. How many of them have serious competition in the local area with regards to playing surfaces?

We are in the biggest city in Scotland, there is significant competition here already - Firhill Complex have just upgraded their 11-a-side pitch to 5G.

I would still be in favour of an artificial surface despite all this, but we wouldn't clear up financially like the afore mentioned clubs have.

A while back there was talk of Queens Pk groundsharing with us next season. Anyone know if that possibility been binned?

btw I hear proposed Com Games work at Hampden is behind schedule and causing a wee bit concern.

Aren't the just bunging in a bit of scaffolding and putting down a new 'floor' to fit the running track in?

Aren't the just bunging in a bit of scaffolding and putting down a new 'floor' to fit the running track in?

They are actually taking out the first few rows of seats all round the stadium reducing the capacity by a couple of thousand. This also means that spectators will be even further away from the action than they already are. I really hope the changes aren't permanent

They are actually taking out the first few rows of seats all round the stadium reducing the capacity by a couple of thousand. This also means that spectators will be even further away from the action than they already are. I really hope the changes aren't permanent

Surely that is temporary to fit the 400m running track on scaffolding in and the fans 'behind the goal' will be right by the running track? Then once it's done they take the scaffolding down and screw the seats back in?

The changes aren't permanent, but what they are doing is as uberteeb says, putting down a new floor which will cover a few rows of seats. This is how it is meant to look. It doesn't say it is permanant, but with the long jump pits and high jump area inside the track it doesn't look like you'd be able to fit a football pitch in afterwards, so I imagine the "solid in-fill" that is being used will be removed.

I remember being told by the groundsman during the bidding process that the second tier in the south stand was to be extended right round the stadium, bit gutted this didn't happen.

The changes aren't permanent, but what they are doing is as uberteeb says, putting down a new floor which will cover a few rows of seats. This is how it is meant to look. It doesn't say it is permanant, but with the long jump pits and high jump area inside the track it doesn't look like you'd be able to fit a football pitch in afterwards, so I imagine the "solid in-fill" that is being used will be removed.

I remember being told by the groundsman during the bidding process that the second tier in the south stand was to be extended right round the stadium, bit gutted this didn't happen.

That would cost an arm and a leg and imagine being behind the goal at the back of it :frantic:

Isn't there supposed to be an olympic football match or two at Hampden, in a token gesture to make it look like the olympics will be of wonderful benefit to the entire UK?

Isn't there supposed to be an olympic football match or two at Hampden, in a token gesture to make it look like the olympics will be of wonderful benefit to the entire UK?

Yes, but the work at Hampden isn't due to start until 2013. Theoretically we could have Clyde groundsharing next season before the move into EK in summer 2013, then have QP the following year while Hampden is out of action.

I imagine Clyde would only choose us over other options if we charge less than the council is currently charging, which I'm sure I recently read was around £68,000. I'm not sure if this would set a rate that we'd then use for QP, or it could be that as the Commonwealth games require QP to gtf, there could be more money available for QP to hire a ground.

There are indeed matches at Hampden but only for the ladies. So if Lord Coe claims that "All venues are sold out, except one"you'll know which one it is.

So why are they saying today that things are behind schedule at Hampden?

Don't know really. I heard that (2013) ages ago but not from anything official, so it could be wrong. Doesn't seem like they need more than a years worth of work there anyway though.

Would much rather welcome QP than the gypos. At least QP would pay their bills.

I repeat, if we ever have the gypos as tennants, they must be made to pay up in full before a ball is kicked.

If you're meaning for the complete season in advance then I would very much doubt they'd have that sort of cash kicking about. If QP coming is not a possibility and Clyde are the only option I imagine we'd be more accommodating. Wouldn't want to see them run up any debt to us tho'.

Thought a deal had been done with NLC for them to stay at Broadwood on reduced rent?

General consensus is that Clyde supporters would rather tell NLC to ram it and pay us a seasons rent. They mostly hate Broadwood!! And the East Kilbride scheme is hitting local opposotion. Probably Jags fans!!!! lol.