1St Division Golden Boot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that.

I acknowledge that every player has a price but that doesn't mean they're up for sale.

Sure, he's not being advertised as for sale. But neither were others that we've lost over the years. I hope he's enjoying life at Firhill enough to stick with us next season even if some others do come sniffing around, and that the Board can resist too.

• Members

I don't think there is the money in the Scottish game for us to lose Dools. A lower league English Club might be tempted to have a look, bit the fact is that money is tight at all levels of british football just now except at the very top and Doools isn't that good. He'll still be here next year.

I don't think there is the money in the Scottish game for us to lose Dools. A lower league English Club might be tempted to have a look, bit the fact is that money is tight at all levels of british football just now except at the very top and Doools isn't that good. He'll still be here next year.

My view is that because Doolan has an a way above average first touch is that there's bound to be a team out there that would benefit from his services. In other words they'd have a striker that could really feed of him. Doolan in addition would still chip in with a good few goals as well.

That aside I agree with Will.

Bobby Dinnie may have recommended him. But how many managers in McCall's position would have took a chance on a player from the juniors? I remember on the old forum, when McCall signed Doolan he was lambasted, with people saying it was an embarrassment that we were reduced to raiding the juniors for players.

Where are these people now?

Jackie is still playing very much with McCall's team, don't forget that.

Not sure about that Will. Hibs, Killie and St Mirren will all make a lot of money from their cup exploits this season. Money not budgeted for.

50K could easily be afforded by any of those 3 teams. St Mirren are crying out for a goal scorer to play off Thompson, i would fully expect them to come in for him.

Not sure about that Will. Hibs, Killie and St Mirren will all make a lot of money from their cup exploits this season. Money not budgeted for.

50K could easily be afforded by any of those 3 teams. St Mirren are crying out for a goal scorer to play off Thompson, i would fully expect them to come in for him.

To let him go for 50K would be a crime against humanity. A goal or two from him for us in an early cup round could see us gain 5 or 6 times that amount with a favourable draw.

Bobby Dinnie may have recommended him. But how many managers in McCall's position would have took a chance on a player from the juniors? I remember on the old forum, when McCall signed Doolan he was lambasted, with people saying it was an embarrassment that we were reduced to raiding the juniors for players.

Where are these people now?

Jackie is still playing very much with McCall's team, don't forget that.

Indeed. Back in the salad days (or so we're told) of the 1950s, teams like Thistle did very well from the Junior ranks.

To let him go for 50K would be a crime against humanity. A goal or two from him for us in an early cup round could see us gain 5 or 6 times that amount with a favourable draw.

wait a minute.... you are basing Doolan being worth more than 50k, on the possibility that he will score in an early round of the League or Scottish Cup, and that after that we might get drawn against the old firm, or a game deemed suitable for Sky?

On that basis, Tommy Stewart might score in an early round..... etc etc etc.... what do you value him at?

On this basis, every team in the lower league would hold inflated prices for their goal scorers, based on "just maybe".

Very true, even in later years. Dalgleish and Tommy Burns both started at junior clubs.

Alan Hansen & Joe Craig from Sauchie Juniors.

I'd be worried if we were routinely recruiting guys in their mid twenties and older from the Juniors but guys in their late teens or slightly older are fine. Even if you're critical of Erskine, and a lot on here are or have been, I don't necessarily believe that you'd be using junior football as a basis for your criticism.

Given the quality of Doolan's last three goals and his general standard of play it's hard to put up a case against future junior signings