Gk Kicking

PaleGreySky

Just an observation that the two youth keepers that have played - Scully and Shepherd - since Hinchcliffe began coaching have been absolutely ridiculously poor at kicking. For a player who has been at the club for a while and has been under the same coah for that time, Scully wasn't even trying to use the right technique for kicking, never mind executing it correctly. He surely shouldn't be able to get into our first team with that kicking. Reactions, you cannot coach - kicking, you can.

Edited by PaleGreySky

FFS..... how much of a "kicking" is young Scully going to take? FWIW I thought he had several outstanding saves yesterday. So he made a couple of mistakes? So what? And what about the defenders in front of him?

Do folk have to sink the boot into him for his kick-outs now too? (which btw were better than Kenny Arthur's usual efforts when he was our keeper)

I'm not giving him a kicking. I'm making a fair observation on an aspect of his game. Yeah, he made 2 probably 3 very good saves, but is that worth one howler and two contributions to further goals, plus awful distribution? Also, Arthur's kicking was miles better than ydays.

I'm not giving him a kicking. I'm making a fair observation on an aspect of his game. Yeah, he made 2 probably 3 very good saves, but is that worth one howler and two contributions to further goals, plus awful distribution?

.....and the sinking of the boot continues! I don't think you're making a fair observation to be honest. I think you're just rubbing salt into a young player's wounds. Was Scully responsible for the Livi goals yesterday? Yep. Along with the 10 guys in red n yella in front of him. Awful distribution? A matter of opinion surely. I thought his distribution was ok. Would I rather Fox had been in goals yesterday? Yes. Is it Scully's fault he wasn't? No. That responsibility lies with He-Who-Is-Above-All-Criticism (in the eyes of way too many Jags fans) - the brutally inept manager.

Also, Arthur's kicking was miles better than ydays.
Have you been on the magic mushies??

PaleGreySky, get a grip, really?

Kenny Arthur's kicking was an absolute joke at times but miraculously no-one harped on about it, wonder why.

People never stopped banging on about it. Keepers at this level often have trouble kicking, yes it is something that can be worked on, but I don't think slating a guy (in Scully's instance) who has only played a handful of professional games for his kicking is really necessary. I imagine he'll still be back-up next season, so I'm sure they'll work on that in the close season - let's hope it has improved by then.

I think kicking for goalies can be easily affected by nerves (if it already isn't one of their strengths), so perhaps with more experience he'll improve on that.

Tuffey and to a lesser extent Fox are too youngish keepers who are excellent kickers of a ball (both feet). It might be asking a lot to expect a third goalie to come along who is nearly as proficient. Arthur & Hinchy were both diabolical but that doesn't mean they didn't practice long and hard to improve. They might even have been worse if they hadn't :D. Regardless how poor Hinchy was that won't necessarily make him a poor coach. Most sports are littered with coaches successfully teaching technique they never mastered themselves. I've thus no doubt Ryan will receive the proper coaching, and I too feel that nerves and probably the state of the pitch came into play on Saturday, so hopefully his kicking will improve.

We're very fortunate to have another goalkeeper in Fox that can kick with either foot. What Tuffey also did, that I'd like to see more of, is throw the ball out to a waiting player: it retains possession, whereas a kick up the park is often just a lottery, since there's so much time for all the players to see where the ball will land and to position themselves accordingly.

Scully seems to be a better shot-stopper than any other keeper we've had for a while. In a perfect world we'd have Kenny Arthur's penalty-saving abilities, Scully's shot-stopping and Tuffey's distribution (most of the time - although some of his long, low kicks out ended up going out of touch)!

In the event, Fox offers the best combination of skills at the moment, while Scully is a good replacement. We're actually doing very well in cover for that position.

PaleGreySky, get a grip, really?

Kenny Arthur's kicking was an absolute joke at times but miraculously no-one harped on about it, wonder why.

That's because - I assume - they were far more worried about getting scudded by one of Barry Smith's atrociously wayward attempts at a stupid punt up the park.

Scully made some excellent saves on Saturday but he *does* have to make some progress with his kicking if he's to establish himself at this level. He had a couple of decent kick-outs but he generally didn't look confident with it. It's something they need to get Hinchcliffe and maybe even Fox working with him on, because his reflexes are generally pretty good.

Scully made some excellent saves on Saturday but he *does* have to make some progress with his kicking if he's to establish himself at this level. He had a couple of decent kick-outs but he generally didn't look confident with it. It's something they need to get Hinchcliffe and maybe even Fox working with him on, because his reflexes are generally pretty good.

:confused1:

Please apologise to neuroscience at the soonest possible opportunity.

I think you should have used reactions instead of reflexes. It's another example of the smartarsery that can be occasionally found on this site. I think everyone knew what you meant.

It's not smartarsery, it is a pet hate of many people I know, when football pundits use the term reflexes. A reflex is an automatic (i.e. involuntary movement) in response to something painful or a tendon stretch. Goalkeepers do not use reflexes to save shots, they react to the ball, none of it is automatic, even if it does feel second nature.

Plus, it was also a joke to a friend of mine, but never mind.

Scully is a young keeper who'll come along nicely with some decent mentoring and the proper training regime - his kicking will improve when he tailors some exercises on his legs to strengthen his thigh and hammy which will generate a bit more power - and maybe when that happens we'll have a keeper we won't want to lose but will also be catching the eye of some big spenders who'll remunerate the club appropriately for his services.

It's not smartarsery, it is a pet hate of many people I know, when football pundits use the term reflexes. A reflex is an automatic (i.e. involuntary movement) in response to something painful or a tendon stretch. Goalkeepers do not use reflexes to save shots, they react to the ball, none of it is automatic, even if it does feel second nature.

BITE :D

I am aware what reflex means (hence the alternative given) and plead guilty to the 'BITE' jibe by your friend. Apologies to you for the smartarse comment.

BITE :D

Only trying to back you up big fella.

Scully also dealt well with crosses on Saturday. I guess I might be alone, but I didn't notice any general problem with his kicking, other than the balls-up with the defender than led to their third goal.

I didn't think it was that bad either, certainly not new thread worthy.