Worst Pubs On Away Days

Chicofan

The Centenary Bar (Dens Pk) last time I was in it wasn't even OK pre match.

First visit there was at the start of the season - was awful!

2nd visit couple of weeks ago and they have done it up and re-named it the Ambassador and they now sell food! It was actually half decent and I think we will try food next time!

Edited by little_miss_jag

grrr.

Livi is a utopian metropolis when compared to the likes of Kirckaldy. And then there is Cowdenbeath....

Kirkcaldy is light years better than Livingston for a drink. Can't comment on Cowdenbeath. Livingston is a disgrace, please tell me of any decent pubs there so I can see the error of my ways next time I am unfortunate enough to be there.

That shows you how ymmv. I quite like that one (though I can't imagine going in outwith match days).

My nomination - The Stadium Bar at Ibrox.

Or The Spider's Web near Tynecastle.

Remember getting papped out of here at 9.30am before the cup game a few years back....i wasn't alone!!

too much singing apparently..fuds!

Remember getting papped out of here at 9.30am before the cup game a few years back....i wasn't alone!!

It had one amusing moment for me when a rugger chappie I know (Scotland were playing England later on) brought his boss in there. He was trying to impress him by getting him an early morning drink only for the pair of them to be thrown straight back out the door.

First time I've ever been chucked out a pub before normal opening time.

That's exactly why I think of it as one of our worst away day pubs. A group of us arranged to meet there between 9 and 10 on that cup day (was there not also a Scotland rugby game on that day?). I ordered a small round and when the next two guys turned up went up to order two more pints and the barman pulled the barmaid away, and started shouting at me that the police were on their way. We'd been there for about 3 minutes and had to leave our beers behind - barman called us 'bigots' to our faces with no explanation. Horrible stuff. We'd not been singing (and didn't see any), we'd just shown up for a beer...

Needless to say we found alternative 'wet' accommodation, and haven't been back since despite it being a favourite meet up spot for events in the capital

'There is a terrible place in Dumfries called The Caven Arms.'

You must be joking..........The Caven Arms is a gem of a pub and a huge step up on quality from the usual boozers that surround most football grounds. The place may be rather pokey (having been a small greengrocer's shop in a former life) but it has a wide range of real ales and a friendly atmosphere.

Going back a few years (I think to the game when Lindau ripped QoS apart single handedly), I was mystified to why there was a large selection of fairy cakes on the bar, until I was served by the campest barman you've ever seen!

It's a great wee pub and one of the reasons why Dumfries is one of the best away venues in Division 1.

Pubs I go in as they're OK and/or handy for the football that I'd never drink in any other time.

The Norseman (Cappielow) surely the most unwelcoming looking boozer in Scotland.

The Elizabethan (E End Pk)

The Viking (Dingwall)

The Centenary Bar (Dens Pk) last time I was in it wasn't even OK pre match.

Got to disagree with the bold. I think the Norseman decent. Close to the ground, no bad pint and awrite atmosphere. The viking pub is good as well, plus its got a dart board.

Livingston is awful, no pubs in the town (always closed or getting remodeled) and the bar is the stadium is souless, plus the FBI look a like doorman they have is a bit far.

The New Goth in Cowdenbeath is unbelievably bad. It stinks, hasn't been cleaned in decades, has no TV channels apart from the horse racing and when we asked for tunes to be put on he let us have our pick, that sounds good in theory, but he whacked a small collection of dusty cassettes on the bar from what I can only assume were obscure 1970's bands and after we picked one at random he stuck it in their 1980's Hitachi Hi-Fi. It would have been funny if the pints didn't all smell eggy. This was only season before last as well.

That Granary place that is now shut in Livingston was also terrible, for a pub within spitting distance of a football stadium they didn't like football fans much at all.

There's also one in Inverness up a lane that promises the world and has a fancy sounding name, great selection of beer, great food and live sport said the nicely drawn signs on the windows. When we went in all the premium beers were off, they didn't sell food and they no longer had Sky Sports. What made it worse was having spent the previous night on the beer and curry I got off the train choking for a Joe Lee. There was no lock on the door (which was outwith 'holding distance') and the window was permenantly jammed open in a way that meant people walking outside could see right in as I sat on the throne.

There really are some griefholes out there.

• Like 1

grrr.

Livi is a utopian metropolis when compared to the likes of Kirckaldy. And then there is Cowdenbeath....

grrr cowdenbeath is a utopian metropolis when compared to the likes of cliftonville. Mind we played a pre-season tournament there and because i had a skin head and glasgow accent i was being accused by some catholics of being a british soldier! Guy phoned us a taxi and told us to leave because the twats who were talkin to us were 'heavy' but one look like mick hucknall and the other was a fat paris hilton look alike. if thats what passes for a hardman in northern ireland then bring it on! Edited by The Mighty Quinn

Kirkcaldy is light years better than Livingston for a drink. Can't comment on Cowdenbeath. Livingston is a disgrace, please tell me of any decent pubs there so I can see the error of my ways next time I am unfortunate enough to be there.

To be honest, the Livi bashing that goes on on here gets a little tiresome. Although there aren't any decent pubs next door to the ground, there are a few decent pubs within walking distance. There's a Wetherspoons in the McCarthur Glen part of the Centre, the Livingston Inn in Livingston Village and there are 2 pubs right next to Livi North train station (Grand Central and The Saltire)

That Granary place that is now shut in Livingston was also terrible, for a pub within spitting distance of a football stadium they didn't like football fans much at all.

The Granary is still there and open for buisness (it's called The Lime Kiln now). It's more of a food type place but you can still go for just drink as we did before the last Livi v Jags game. I'd compare it to the Brewers Fayre type place next to Broadwood.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The Cavens sells the best pub grub in Dumfries. Your opinion on this occasion is so wrong, it's honking!

A fine Dumfries establishment once sold me a kebab pizza. The Caven surely cannot offer such culinary delights?

HONKHONK

The Commercial Hotel in Dingwall is a clear winner for me.

Going back a number of years, so it's probably changed completely. However, on my visit it had that horrible pine-effect 'wallpaper', and was run by an elderly woman. Don't think the place had been cleaned in years. It didn't even have a till (this would have been late '90s / early '00s) - she had a cash drawer instead. Unfortunately, I'd been out the night before and got hit by a dose of the runs whilst there - the toilets were Trainspotting material - there was just enough wafer-thin 'toilet roll' to do the job.

Edited by Charlie Endell