Investment For Identity

uberteeb

It seems that Cardiff's Malaysian owners are going to change the Bluebirds into a team who play in red mainly because red is seen as a lucky colour of prosperity, etc in the far east. The logic being the most successful clubs in terms of marketing over there are Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool where as Chelsea and Man City have had far far less impact. The shirt becomes red, the stadium becomes red (with a far greater capacity) and there is talk of changing the badge to a dragon. In return for this they are sticking in £100m (One Hundred Million).

A lot of Cardiff fans were up in arms when this news came out although admitedly a lot of that anger has diminished once the £100m firgure became known. Loss of identity, loss of tradition, loss of history, the simple fact the Bluebirds will no longer be blue, etc.

The question is would you be happy for someone to do the same to Thistle for a Scottish equivalent of say £10m (Ten Million). They come in and rebuild Firhill, make a genuine go of becoming a large SPL club but they change us from red and yellow to something totally different and they take the Thistle out of our name changing the badge?

It seems that Cardiff's Malaysian owners are going to change the Bluebirds into a team who play in red mainly because red is seen as a lucky colour of prosperity, etc in the far east. The logic being the most successful clubs in terms of marketing over there are Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool where as Chelsea and Man City have had far far less impact. The shirt becomes red, the stadium becomes red (with a far greater capacity) and there is talk of changing the badge to a dragon. In return for this they are sticking in £100m (One Hundred Million).

A lot of Cardiff fans were up in arms when this news came out although admitedly a lot of that anger has diminished once the £100m firgure became known. Loss of identity, loss of tradition, loss of history, the simple fact the Bluebirds will no longer be blue, etc.

The question is would you be happy for someone to do the same to Thistle for a Scottish equivalent of say £10m (Ten Million). They come in and rebuild Firhill, make a genuine go of becoming a large SPL club but they change us from red and yellow to something totally different and they take the Thistle out of our name changing the badge?

Then get bored, leave us broke and with no identity either, no thanks.

Any Cardiff fan actually in favour of such a propsal needs their head examined. I mean what's the point. If I wanted to support a richer club, not called Thistle and not in red and yellow, I already have plenty of options

1 less option since Febuary this year though :happy3:

My first thought was "Never!" But Jags fans in the 1930s had to deal with the drastic change from the traditional, conservative, navy blue outfits to the frankly lurid (though brilliant) red n yellow hoops (a great move) (By the way, does anybody know how the change was received by the supporters?). And then our logo has undergone dramatic changes, from the traditional old thistle, to the stealth bomber, then to the current hairy gonad.

So, for £10 million, I'd say "Welcome. Let's discuss."

Edited by Jaggernaut

My first thought was "Never!" But Jags fans in the 1930s had to deal with the drastic change from the traditional, conservative, navy blue outfits to the frankly lurid (though brilliant) red n yellow hoops (a great move) (By the way, does anybody know how the change was received by the supporters?). And then our logo has undergone dramatic changes, from the traditional old thistle, to the stealth bomber, then to the current hairy gonad.

So, for £10 million, I'd say "Welcome. Let's discuss."

The Forum at that time was probably a board outside Firhill where you could stick up a telegram - ' I put it to you, fellow Gentleman and Scholars, that this is a perfect, nay textbook, example of the disrespect the Footpads, Naysayers and Charlatans that compose the Board of Partick Thistle Football Club hold us in. I say again, with no apology - the navy blue nust remain! And it goes without saying, that McMaster! The purse strings must be opened'

The Forum at that time was probably a board outside Firhill where you could stick up a telegram - ' I put it to you, fellow Gentleman and Scholars, that this is a perfect, nay textbook, example of the disrespect the Footpads, Naysayers and Charlatans that compose the Board of Partick Thistle Football Club hold us in. I say again, with no apology - the navy blue nust remain! And it goes without saying, that McMaster! The purse strings must be opened'

:D

The strange thing about our colours is that they are designed to appeal to an ethnic Chinese section of the population - and where do most of Glasgow's ethnic Chinese population live? Practically on Firhill's doorstep! I have mentioned it before, but the club really is passing up a golden opportunity to capitalise on this feature; in fact, their faces should redden at the thought of omitting to do so.

沒有中文廣告的PTFC,為什麼?

So, someone comes along to invest £10m in Thistle.

Only conditions are that we have to play in blue tops and white shorts, change our name to Partick Rangers and move to a bigger stadium (reasonably nearby) to take account of the greater number of fans that the increased success would bring.

That could never happen. Could it :shok:

• 4 weeks later...

So Cardiff Sh**y will play in red? Who cares? The only team in Wales worth watching play in white and are known as The Swans.

Given City have a bigger fanbase and higher attendances more people will care about Cardiff changing colours than they would Swansea. Good try though.

Many teams have changed their colours and name over the years. Man U started out as Newton Heath playing in yellow and green for example. Birmingham City were Small Heath, Man City had a couple of names before settling on the current one. Dundee United started as Dundee Hibernian!

A change of colours for an investment of £10m would be fine with me. Not a change of name though.