Close Season Quiz

potty trained

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mark McWalter deal IIRC was David Elliot and Chic to St Mirren in return for Geordie Shaw and Mark McWalker plus £220,000. I'd say that £219,000 was for Shaw and the remainder was for McWalter.

Didn't Paul McGlaughlan cost in the region of £100K?

OOpppps sorry - just back from a cruise round Bute! The one I was thinking of, and remember I am middle aged, is alan Munro who we signed from clydebank but he only played 60 mins of a 5-0 defeat at Cappielow and never played another first team game. Not really his fault, he was a good player, but he was plagued by injury and was signed, as i recall, when he was injured in any case. Think it worked out at something like £660 per minute player (he cost about £35,000).

Sorry if that was a rotten question - perhaps I should pass the baton onto somebody else. :blush:

OK then.

Two future Jags managers Davie McParland and Bertie Auld played against each other often enough in Thistle v Celtic matches but they also crossed swords in senior football when both were playing for two other senior teams.

Q/What teams were they playing for and where were they playing?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

going back to brothers, there was the Docherty brothers in the mid-80's, they were dreadful. I think it might have been Jim & John, but I couldn't be sure. One of them was fat & was suupposedly a striker, my only real memory of him was running in to the fence that surrounded the pitch at Shawfield. There was a Pat Docherty who left to join the police I think, but I don't think he was related to the other 2

You not thinking the john donnely and paul donnely

OK then.

Two future Jags managers Davie McParland and Bertie Auld played against each other often enough in Thistle v Celtic matches but they also crossed swords in senior football when both were playing for two other senior teams.

Q/What teams were they playing for and where were they playing?

I thought McParland only played for Thistle? Was it a Scottish league v English league representative match? Hampden?

I'm sure Bertie played for Birmingham City prior to moving back north so I'd say that was his club. No idea who David would have been with. I'm out :P

Correct. Bertie Auld was playing for Birmingham City against a team (not Thistle) that included Davie McParland.

So what was that team called and where were they playing?

edited to add... I'll have no access to forum for a wee while so if no one is hot I'll post a clue a wee bit later on.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Correct. Bertie Auld was playing for Birmingham City against a team (not Thistle) that included Davie McParland.

So what was that team called and where were they playing?

edited to add... I'll have no access to forum for a wee while so if no one is hot I'll post a clue a wee bit later on.

Some kind of six-a-side tournament?

No, and it's not a trick question.

First clue, and I'm surprised that someone on here hasn't already mentioned the team that Davie McP played for, is that the "where" is not in the British Isles.

And that's actually two clues :rolleyes:

Did McParland accompany Queen's Park or Third Lanark on a foreign tour just as his playing career drew to an end?

Did McParland accompany Queen's Park or Third Lanark on a foreign tour just as his playing career drew to an end?

Ah, there should be some sort of handicapping system on here. There is a clue in a prior post to the team in question.

Tom, I did say "early sixties".

Opportunity for someone else to jump in, methinks.