New Statement From The Club

Third Lanark

At the weekend, I sent an e-mail to the Board (it's below). I was furious then (and still am) so perhaps could have done it better with a calm head. Nevertheless, the sentiments are unchanged - if Scottish football is to have any credibility, any new club must start at the bottom. Would we be happy to accept Spartans into Div 1 in the manner suggested ? And no offence to them - they're more deserving ......... If there's any truth in this, I've got a bundle of things I can do at the weekend instead.

I’ve just read the Statement that you posted on the web-site where you offer the opinion that the current troubles at Rangers are nothing to do with Thistle, and also that any media reporting to the contrary is speculation. That appears to be contradicted by an article in today’s Daily Record which suggests that discussions have been held between representatives of the SPL, SFA and SFL ‘chiefs’ aimed at thrashing out a deal that sees the New Company / Club that is likely to replace Rangers being parachuted into Division 1.

I don’t set much store by anything I read in that publication but, given that the law of averages suggests they’ll get a story correct eventually, I’d like to let you know what I’d expect to happen if that were the case. Quite simply, I’d not only expect Partick Thistle to vote ‘No’ to this proposal, but I’d expect the Chairman to publicly go on record in the same way that the Hearts and Dundee Utd chairmen have done on the subject of the New Club’s application to the SPL.

My father took me to my first Thistle game (a 2-2 draw with Clyde about a month before the 1971 League Cup Final) and while I don’t currently have a season ticket, I reckon I’ve averaged about 25 games per season over those 40 years. That will end forever in the event that Thistle put cash before what is right for Scottish football and collude and conspire in the ripping-up of the rule book, simply to accommodate an entity which cheated it’s way through the past decade and a half. If the roles were reversed and we (or Falkirk or Morton or Montrose or any other team) had committed even a fraction of the crimes that have been documented, we’d have been back playing amateur football months ago.

You might argue that the financial benefits are too great to ignore. While I don’t think a sport can even consider putting money ahead of rules and integrity, even if you do the numbers won’t add up. Thistle might get a small slice of the TV pie for a year and perhaps benefit from a couple of bigger gates but I’d be interested to hear what your projections on those are. The days of Rangers and Celtic attracting crowds of 25,000 to Firhill are gone. Is it worth selling our soul for a couple of 9,000 gates and £50k (or whatever) from TV ? It might be worth considering how you’d budget for the day when / if they’re back in the SPL and gates drop back down, not to 3,000 but to 500 ? You might think that’s overly dramatic, but I think it’s conservative.

I urge you to take into account the views of the fans. This may be a rant (sorry – I’ve got angrier the more I type and think of other strands) but I’m certain this is a view shared by the over-whelming majority of Thistle fans, not to mention fans of other SPL / SFL teams. We are at a cross-roads and you have the opportunity to become involved in the biggest positive change in Scottish football for generations. You must not allow Thistle to make the wrong choice – if you do, you soon won’t have a club to run (and that would break my heart).

Vote No !!!!

Excellent.

Apart from " it's " in para 3. :thumbsup2::smartass:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the weekend, I sent an e-mail to the Board (it's below). I was furious then (and still am) so perhaps could have done it better with a calm head. Nevertheless, the sentiments are unchanged - if Scottish football is to have any credibility, any new club must start at the bottom. Would we be happy to accept Spartans into Div 1 in the manner suggested ? And no offence to them - they're more deserving ......... If there's any truth in this, I've got a bundle of things I can do at the weekend instead.

I’ve just read the Statement that you posted on the web-site where you offer the opinion that the current troubles at Rangers are nothing to do with Thistle, and also that any media reporting to the contrary is speculation. That appears to be contradicted by an article in today’s Daily Record which suggests that discussions have been held between representatives of the SPL, SFA and SFL ‘chiefs’ aimed at thrashing out a deal that sees the New Company / Club that is likely to replace Rangers being parachuted into Division 1.

I don’t set much store by anything I read in that publication but, given that the law of averages suggests they’ll get a story correct eventually, I’d like to let you know what I’d expect to happen if that were the case. Quite simply, I’d not only expect Partick Thistle to vote ‘No’ to this proposal, but I’d expect the Chairman to publicly go on record in the same way that the Hearts and Dundee Utd chairmen have done on the subject of the New Club’s application to the SPL.

My father took me to my first Thistle game (a 2-2 draw with Clyde about a month before the 1971 League Cup Final) and while I don’t currently have a season ticket, I reckon I’ve averaged about 25 games per season over those 40 years. That will end forever in the event that Thistle put cash before what is right for Scottish football and collude and conspire in the ripping-up of the rule book, simply to accommodate an entity which cheated it’s way through the past decade and a half. If the roles were reversed and we (or Falkirk or Morton or Montrose or any other team) had committed even a fraction of the crimes that have been documented, we’d have been back playing amateur football months ago.

You might argue that the financial benefits are too great to ignore. While I don’t think a sport can even consider putting money ahead of rules and integrity, even if you do the numbers won’t add up. Thistle might get a small slice of the TV pie for a year and perhaps benefit from a couple of bigger gates but I’d be interested to hear what your projections on those are. The days of Rangers and Celtic attracting crowds of 25,000 to Firhill are gone. Is it worth selling our soul for a couple of 9,000 gates and £50k (or whatever) from TV ? It might be worth considering how you’d budget for the day when / if they’re back in the SPL and gates drop back down, not to 3,000 but to 500 ? You might think that’s overly dramatic, but I think it’s conservative.

I urge you to take into account the views of the fans. This may be a rant (sorry – I’ve got angrier the more I type and think of other strands) but I’m certain this is a view shared by the over-whelming majority of Thistle fans, not to mention fans of other SPL / SFL teams. We are at a cross-roads and you have the opportunity to become involved in the biggest positive change in Scottish football for generations. You must not allow Thistle to make the wrong choice – if you do, you soon won’t have a club to run (and that would break my heart).

Vote No !!!!

Nice one Buck. Everybody keep the faith and keep the pressure on the board to do the right thing

NO TO NEWCO/SEVCO/SEBCOE (WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED) IN THE SECOND TIER.

Nice one Buck. Everybody keep the faith and keep the pressure on the board to do the right thing

NO TO NEWCO/SEVCO/SEBCOE (WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED) IN THE SECOND TIER.

NO TO PISHCO IN SPL OR SFL.

Junior leagues for next 4 seasons minimum.

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE YA H U N S

BYE BYE

Vote No !!!!

If this was Facebook that would get a Like for sure.

A bit more info regardlng the timeline we are facing:

http://www.dumbarton...de=view&id=4015

Any of the onethistle team able to say how they will seek the views of the supporters as, at the moment, it is being left to the supporters to individually contact the club?

Martin

Currently all thats happened is the SFL have announced a breifing meeting -as yet there is no discussion on a formal application or vote.

There is a fair chance that like the SPL the general concensus is that it will be the Third Division and there is no further action to be taken ,currently 12% of SFL Clubs have stated no upfront ,all it takes is another five teams and it is dead in the water - my personal opnion is that it will unravel before it gets to a vote - Rangers according to the press reports still have various challenges to overcome.

If and I say if, it gets to a firm proposal and PTFC have to cast a vote then onethistle have made it clear to the Club we are more than happy to take responsibilty to canvass the fans views and allow as much input as possible.

Martin

Currently all thats happened is the SFL have announced a breifing meeting -as yet there is no discussion on a formal application or vote.

There is a fair chance that like the SPL the general concensus is that it will be the Third Division and there is no further action to be taken ,currently 12% of SFL Clubs have stated no upfront ,all it takes is another five teams and it is dead in the water - my personal opnion is that it will unravel before it gets to a vote - Rangers according to the press reports still have various challenges to overcome.

If and I say if, it gets to a firm proposal and PTFC have to cast a vote then onethistle have made it clear to the Club we are more than happy to take responsibilty to canvass the fans views and allow as much input as possible.

My understanding is an EGM could be called and a vote held in a 5 days (or less)!

It doesn't leave much time to get things organised- tho admittedly the amount of correspondance Mr Beattie will have received on this matter re Season Ticket Holders looking for refunds & others saying they won't renew if a Newco is voted into SFL1 by Thistle should have left him in no doubt strength of feeling amongst fans.

Couple of things:

1) Onethistle approached the board on this, not the other way. Who's to say the BOD will listen anyway? As said above i'm sure by now DB & BOD know the fans feelings on this.

2) Or is it the case that because PTFC as a club hasn't come out and said they will be voting no, they're 'doing a Celtic' in hoping other clubs do the dirty work for them so they stay on right side of a certain club/organisation?

Edited to add: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18625293

Stitch up in full swing and time for the fans to take control of situation imo.

Edited by Trotter

There is no guarantee that Newco will be admitted to the SFL 3rd Division. Newco, under the current rules, does not meet the criteria for admittance. Spartans, or other prospective applicants for the vacancy, could take legal action to stop Newco being parachuted into the SFL. What happens then?

My understanding is an EGM could be called and a vote held in a 5 days (or less)!

It doesn't leave much time to get things organised- tho admittedly the amount of correspondance Mr Beattie will have received on this matter re Season Ticket Holders looking for refunds & others saying they won't renew if a Newco is voted into SFL1 by Thistle should have left him in no doubt strength of feeling amongst fans.

Couple of things:

1) Onethistle approached the board on this, not the other way. Who's to say the BOD will listen anyway? As said above i'm sure by now DB & BOD know the fans feelings on this.

2) Or is it the case that because PTFC as a club hasn't come out and said they will be voting no, they're 'doing a Celtic' in hoping other clubs do the dirty work for them so they stay on right side of a certain club/organisation?

Edited to add: http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18625293

Stitch up in full swing and time for the fans to take control of situation imo.

Doesnt that sum up our board!! If Thistle vote to take these Scum in then the club will die within 5 years!!

The proposal in that BBC link is a joke.

The offer apprears to be

* a playoff place in the current SFL1,

* a one off million quid split between all of the SFL sides

* Relegation from the current SFL3

We need proper reconstruction of the whole scottish football pyramid, from top to bottom. Give us that and, like Mr Beatie, I would consider it. Everything has it's price. As it stands **** OFF !

IMO we need something more from the club ASAP. The proposals have now been laid out and its nothing short of a complete and utter stitch up to help preserve a vile bigoted ex-club.

The time is right for all right thinking clubs to stand up and say NO to any newco anywhere else apart from allowing them to apply for SFL3.

Utterly sick of all the manouvering and backdoor plans from the SPL, SFL and SFA to try and worm their way out of this.

IMO we need something more from the club ASAP. The proposals have now been laid out and its nothing short of a complete and utter stitch up to help preserve a vile bigoted ex-club.

The time is right for all right thinking clubs to stand up and say NO to any newco anywhere else apart from allowing them to apply for SFL3.

Utterly sick of all the manouvering and backdoor plans from the SPL, SFL and SFA to try and worm their way out of this.

This morning's story may or may not be true. It could be another kite flying exercise to test the reactions of clubs and fans. The sooner there is a firm proposal for clubs to consider, the better.

I think the Evening Times is fairly accurate http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/warning-to-sfl-as-fans-rally-against-newco.18001526?

That's now about the fourth publication I've read that mentions our support.

I wish David Beattie would get the finger out. I actually want to buy my season ticket asap.

I think the Evening Times is fairly accurate http://www.eveningti...newco.18001526?

That's now about the fourth publication I've read that mentions our support.

I wish David Beattie would get the finger out. I actually want to buy my season ticket asap.

But how is "our support" defined - the board or the shareholders? Beattie and his colleagues will have to do what the shareholders tell them to. It is possible that Beattie is personally opposed to Newco in Division 1. Then there is the influence of the bank...

But how is "our support" defined - the board or the shareholders? Beattie and his colleagues will have to do what the shareholders tell them to. It is possible that Beattie is personally opposed to Newco in Division 1. Then there is the influence of the bank...

Then he should make his position clear. He's not been afraid to have a showdown with the shareholders over internal structuring issues at the club, so why so shy now? Except I think we all know why. Because he's on the bus for this proposal and is more concerned about how to get it past the fans than to listen to them and take a principled stand for the long-term good of the sport.

This club is horribly broken, a legacy of various pisspoor decisions and non-decisions in recent years, and this is the chickens coming home to roost. Bad news for the fans, who don't have a property development to fall back on if it all goes belly up.

At critical times like this supporters expect leadership from their club chairmen. or perhaps more realistically an attempt at leadership. The latest BBC offering may well be the latest in a long line of drivel, produced by an assembly line of pro-H*n reporters totally lacking in credibility and with the maintenance of the status quo forming their raison d'etre. Nonetheless, at a pivotal time for the future of Scottish football such as we are now in, it would be an abdication of responsibility for Beattie et al, not to signal our clubs position. Then supporters can judge whether or not that position is worthy of support. To say nothing is to side with those who wish to see a Newco. accommodated within Scottish football at their minimum inconvenience. Our club must stand for something, in my view given our obvious lack of resources and finance as a minimum that must be a stand for integrity and fair play. The very soul of this club is at risk if we are seen to collude in any attempt at absolving Rangers, in whatever incarnation that may be of the responsibilities of their own actions.