Scottish Sports Media - What's The Point?

ClydebankJag

To reply to your heading, not much except to butter up the hordes of OF fans.

Where do we get decent (and decent sized) updates on games, interviews with players, match reports and match highlights? From our web site. Just like other SFL clubs. The official sports media are irrelevant to us.

Unfortunately for guys like Traynor, Young and the rest our club, like the rest of the SFL all had one vote and we could all get organised on the internet to remind our clubs about doing the right thing. And there were a lot of fans who could muster real facts and real arguments, something the monkey sports media here were unable/unwilling to do.

The media panders to what sells. That's it. What sells more? An article about a Celtic player with an ingrown toenail or an interview with ex-Celt and Partick Thistle manager Jackie Mac about his mate the Celtic player with the ingrown toenail?

'Become the media', as Jello Biafra has said.

Graham Spiers exclusive https://twitter.com/GrahamSpiers/

"My Sunday Herald column tomorrow: Peter Lawwell and Neil Lennon can't say it publicly - but Rangers in Division 3 is bad news for Celtic."

Cutting edge journalism big lad.

Now can someone point me to this week's Gordon Smith interview?

Spiers 'article' is appalling, but by no means the worst of the hunagranda tripe that is appearing in todays Sundays. A couple of examples:

The Scotsman - doom and gloom, almost as long as War & Peace

The Herald - Billy Dodds cry baby

Though to be fair, the following are also worth a read, if only to be aware of the lengths Regan, Doncaster, Green, Peat, Ogilvie and others were prepared to go, to bully and intimidate clubs across the country, to shoehorn Hunswereus into SFL1:

18th June Document : “Scottish FA: Newco & Scottish Football, A Strategic Review”

The Regan email, (the 'contribution and support' email and the (now failed) carveup and projected timeline) now leaked in its entirety (a must read imo)

aye was it him who compared Sevco to Rod Stewart?

That was the point I actually swiched off.How a so called journalist like him has been able to spout so much tripe and drivel for so many years and stay in employment is beyond me.

His point of letting Rod Stewart into your establishment before an ordinary punter seems to miss the fact that Rod Stewart isn't a cheating, tax dodging, corrupt fraudster( as far as we know) who you wouldn't want in your restauraunt anyway.

Off to Elgin and Annan Chick

Not read it yet but my opinion is that Sevco entering football at the bottom tier will cost Celtic more than any other club.

Those two clubs have been intertwined for many a year and hell mend them :)

True it will cost them a lot but they can afford to bear the loss (though their board members may weep at having to take a cut in bonuses (assuming they get such).

It might actually do them some good. Without the h^ns singing derry's walls and such their own bigots may shut up a bit. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the moron element from Hearts and (if they go up) Dundee may try to make up for the absence of the Norwegian Blue club.

I was actually shocked. First time I've actually seen a half sensible article from him. Though he's wrong about the leagues. The English league goes far deeper than he says with Conference and so on. Scottish league still feeble though and we need a proper pyramid system with entry/relegation at the bottom of the current setup.

You could also argue that the Scottish structure goes deeper, what with the EoS, SoS, Highland and Junior leagues.

Even within Scotland there are some curious populaton to representation ratios...

South Lanarkshire - Population 312,000. League teams 1 (Hamilton)

Angus - Population 109,000. League teams 4 (Forfar, Arbroath, Brechin, Montrose)

Don't see much of the Scottish papers down here, but did manage to get a Sunday Mail this morning for a laugh. Thing is it wasn't effin funny. How anyone can make such any sort of story out of Gilmour's maybe's aye, maybe's naw comments and put such a headline as "5 SPL Clubs Weeks From Death" is pushing their already very limited credibility to the precipice.

Keevins' and Burley's comments are so far removed from reality it's not true. It's not just the Scottish media - the usually pretty reliable Independent and i papers both reported Rangers "relegation" to Div 3.

Print media is dying. Why buy a newspaper with outdated news and only a couple of opinions, usually over the top to boost sales, when you can get up to date news 24/7 and a huge variety of opinions online?

I've not bought a newspaper in years.

You could also argue that the Scottish structure goes deeper, what with the EoS, SoS, Highland and Junior leagues.

Even within Scotland there are some curious populaton to representation ratios...

South Lanarkshire - Population 312,000. League teams 1 (Hamilton)

Angus - Population 109,000. League teams 4 (Forfar, Arbroath, Brechin, Montrose)

No Motherwell fans in South Lanarkshire?