Ramsden's Cup Draw

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The train service to Kirkcaldy is okay on a Sunday. It would have been better to get someone outside our division, e.g. Arbroath which is a good day out if the weather is good.

Although had it been away getting to haymarket would be easier, from the 9th sept theres an extra 5 trains going to edinburgh from queen st...goes to a half hourly service from start of day rather than from 1230

The town of Dumfries got its name Queen of the South from David Dunbar a local poet who back in 1857 stood for the General Election. In one of his addresses he called Dumfries "Queen of the South" and it became synonymous with the town. The local team Wanderers took up the name but they went defunct around 1900. The present Queens were formed in 1919 and after a vote Queen of the South was picked from amongst others:-

Dumfries United, Southern Wanderers, Vale of Nith

The title "Queen of the South" is also mentioned in the bible, referring to the Queen of Sheba.

And I should add: Google (and Bing, Yahoo, etc.) is your friend. :happy2:

Thank you. I had not known why their name is not "Dumfries FC".

About time we got payback for the ten (10!) points those lang toon besterts took off us last season. If it wasn't for us, Queen of thE South would have stayed up, Raith would have gone down and we could be enjoying trips to Dumfries this year. Apart from the fact we pumped Queens too last season, obviously....

Also, happy to see QOS get the tie at Ibrox. Hopefully they can now strengthen in January and win the 2nd division, as they are a massive loss to the 1st.

Don't really see why they are a massive loss. Just another diddy team and we've had more than our fair share of shit results against them. Never understood why some people have a love-in for them. They are back where they belong, really.

Edited by milhouse

Don't really see why they are a massive loss. Just another diddy team and we've had more than our fair share of shit results against them. Never understood why some people have a love-in for them. They are back where they belong, really.

agreed, don't get it at all

I don't think Queens belong in the third tier of Scottish football.

Not an away fan I presume? One of the best trips in Scotland.

Can't think of any better.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Much as I also love away trips to Dumfries, lets not forget that they are a bunch of yes voting SevCo apologists. I'd have been boycotting Palmerston this season (indeed I know quite a few QoS fans who are doing the same).

grow up

A diddy team who got to the Scottish Cup final in 2008.

I'm sure none of us enjoy getting labelled as a diddy team by OF fans so I'm disappointed to see jags fans referring to any team as that. They are a senior football club with a proud history, just like us.

They are currently in Division 2, where we have found ourselves on several occasions before. I don't think any of us have the right to label QOS a diddy team.

As has been said, Dumfries is one of the best day outs in Scottish football. The locals in Dumfries are always extremely welcoming, before and after the game, no matter the result. It's a great town which a lot of Jags fans enjoy visiting.

Edited by ian_mac

As has been said, Dumfries is one of the best day outs in Scottish football. The locals in Dumfries are always extremely welcoming, before and after the game, no matter the result. It's a great town which a lot of Jags fans enjoy visiting.

Losing them and Ayr last season made this season's away matches look much worse. Hope we see at least one of them back next season, joint best days out in the 1st division.

Not a really inspiring tie because we'll play them another 4 times this season, but at least we're at home.

A diddy team who got to the Scottish Cup final in 2008.

I'm sure none of us enjoy getting labelled as a diddy team by OF fans so I'm disappointed to see jags fans referring to any team as that. They are a senior football club with a proud history, just like us.

They are currently in Division 2, where we have found ourselves on several occasions before. I don't think any of us have the right to label QOS a diddy team.

:thumbsup2: THE best away trip.