Steven Craig

Peter McLindu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ex motherwell and now with county, never really been that impressed when he's played against us and not a prolific scorer by any means.too similar to Doolan IMO, Would have hoped we could have got someone better in, hope I'm proved wrong. Welcome nonetheless, hes got to be better than Christine Elliott and McGuigan right enough.I see Hamilton signed Stevie May today aswell, he might have been a decent player, scored alot of goals last year in the lower divisions.

games goals

2000–2003 Falkirk 58 (9) 2003–2004 Motherwell 37 (5) 2004–2005 Aberdeen 17 (2) 2005–2006 → Dundee (loan) 20 (6) 2006–2008 Livingston 55 (12) 2008– Ross County 99 (21)

Edited by jags on tour

ex motherwell and now with county, never really been that impressed when he's played against us and not a prolific scorer by any means.too similar to Doolan IMO,

If it's the same Steven Craig that I'm thinking about then he's a completely different player to Doolan. More of a target man type, is he not? I remember him being pretty physical and not afraid to use his elbows when playing against us.

I think hes a pretty average first division player, but hes experienced and always seems to chip in with a few goals at this level which we need to take the pressure off Doolan. Would do a better job than the current strikers in reserve I think.

Although it could be those pesky footballers at the wind-up again.

I don't think he's anywhere near prolific enough to take the pressure off Doolan.

A strange signing but then again Ross County won the league with players like him and Corcoran supporting the starting XI so I imagine McNamara knows more than the likes of me.

Think he is a bit more of a physical type than Doolan so could create chances for him with flick ons and hopefully can get a few goals himself. Reminds me a bit of a Lambie type signing - see who was promoted last season and take players they don't want (eg Fleming, McCulloch from Livingston).

I thought there were signs of our forwards responding well enough to Dargo last season at least in a couple of games. Assume then that he was good to have around training as well. So if Craig can do the same but over a longer period then this could be a decent temp signing.

I was thinking along these lines too or at least that he might take the pressure off our young forwards but only being a short term deal still give them hope of winning a regular place in the team. And as you say they could learn of him (Elliot and McGuigan both have physiques that could be useful if they knew how to use them to best advantage).

All assuming this isn't just a hoax of course.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Wow. Impressed with this signing for two reasons. Firstly, I was there when a certain Joe Craig made his Thistle debut - Steven's father - and I remember the kind of 'physical dimension' he brought to Thistle's play. He made it into the team after Jimmy Bone signed for Norwich, if I remember correctly and was the kind of 'old fashioned centre forward' that was dying out (unfortunately) even back then. If his boy can give that to the current side, then I for one will look forward to his contribution. (Even if he's a constant reminder of how really, really old I am...)

Secondly, I was thinking, as you do, about how Jackie MacNamara could strengthen the side before the transfer window closes - always best to bring in new faces when the team's doing well rather than when they're struggling - and I'd decided that the players who would improve things would be an experienced centre half to fill in (or replace - I'm not sentimental) Alan Archibald and an experienced forward to give more dig to the strikers, probably to replace Erskine (much as I love him) in attack. Steven Craig fits the bill for the second of these. I can see him taking over the central role from Doolan and Kris moving into the left side role currently filled by Chris Erskine. (Erskine is probably better as an 'impact player' anyway.)

So, if Jackie brings in a centre half now, how impressed am I going to be? Always think highly of a manager if he does things I want!

I see this as a (short-term) replacement for Elliott and/or McGuigan on the bench. As someone just said, the team picks itself right now - but not the subs. That was painfully obvious last night. Not that I'm suggesting this is a knee-jerk reaction - it will have been well planned. E & McG can learn from the guy, for sure.

Not the most prolific of strikers. Certainly nowhere close to Doolan, however some experience in that front line will be good.

However Paul Paton has tweeted that he hopes we don’t lose Doolan (to Hearts) on the back of this transfer. I can only hope that is just one of our players being a nervous nelly, because if we lose Doolan at this stage, our great start to the season could be in vain.

Best of luck Steve Craig.

Glad we got him in.

Don't particularly rate Elliot and don't think mcguigan is the answer either (yet) so it's good to have another option in a more senior player.

Hopefully jackie can get a couple more in with one of them being a defender

Still have rowser to come back and provide further backup

Secondly, I was thinking, as you do, about how Jackie MacNamara could strengthen the side before the transfer window closes - always best to bring in new faces when the team's doing well rather than when they're struggling - and I'd decided that the players who would improve things would be an experienced centre half to fill in (or replace - I'm not sentimental) Alan Archibald and an experienced forward to give more dig to the strikers, probably to replace Erskine (much as I love him) in attack. Steven Craig fits the bill for the second of these. I can see him taking over the central role from Doolan and Kris moving into the left side role currently filled by Chris Erskine. (Erskine is probably better as an 'impact player' anyway.)

You want us to drop Archie, drop Erskine, and play Doolan as a winger?

Wow.

A decent signing who will be good backup for Doolan. He is good with his back to goal and is a real nuisance to defenders. He constantly plays for the foul, I remember him upsetting the Jackie husband a few years back doing this.

I moaned in the pre-season for an experienced striker so can’t complain when we get one.

I would like to see Elliot going out on loan to Xmas and also James Craigen if we bring in a midfield player.

I can’t see hearts paying the money we would be looking for Doolan. I would be stunned if Doolan was moved out wide.

Edited by Alan Murray