Mark Mcguigan

Thistle_1876

Aaron Sinclair had a long run in the team and showed on several occasions how good a player he was, Elliot and McGuigan have scored goals in patches but their overall standard of play won't give any team in this league concerns, and while they are making a big step up, from what I've seen they struggled immensely against a third division team, infact Elliot struggled against Clyde too when he was on. We're going to need to have someone of Craig's ilk around to support Doolan as I'm concerned these players aren't good enough at the moment (remain to be convinced they will be down the line either) to give us the depth we need to go up. Jackie obviously believes this too with the addition of Craig.

If my memory serves me right , the whole team struggled against Clyde and at Hampden nobody stuck out and in fact we were the luckiest team in Scotland to qualify .So IMO the problems in the team were wholesale rather than down to a couple of individuals who are convenient whipping boys it seems.Really saddens me to read some of these posts from so called "fans".

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGuigan & Craigen are both young men who in the last few years have been fortunate enough to do their hobby (football) at a half decent level (Scottish Universities) whilst doing full time university courses.

This is first season they have been full time footballers & at a level way above where they've played previously. With that in mind, to judge them as 'not good enough' 2 months into a season where the first XI is flying is ridiculous.

The same applies for those suggesting we punt Elliot for not doing it in his 20 min cameo at end of a game which, more often than not this season, is already won. Remember he was flying pre season & Jackie Mac started him ahead of Doolan.

If you apply that logic I reckon we should punt Aaron Sinclair also!!

A spell on loan, assuming Doolan fit, could be what McGuigan needs. Same for Craigen, who remember turned down more money in English non league to sign with us. I guess the later depends on squad depth & can we allow two players to move out from a small squad.

Fair points. Jackie gave McGuigan and Craigen have 2 year contracts so we cannot afford to write them off. It took a while for Doolan and Erskine to adjust to the SFL but they have proved to be great signings. With Craig and Forbes signing on, we could have afford to let McGuigan and Craigen go out on loan for a couple of months with recall options.

There seems to be a hunt for negativity going on in this forum lately despite our great performances. Firstly, a thread was made regarding the "abuse" of Erskine which, as far as I can tell, amounted to a few folk expressing brief frustration when he lost the ball - hardly scathing and indeed pretty standard around all football grounds. Now, someone's support is being questioned because he suggested that, in his opinion, Christie and McGuigan are a wee bit off the standard we would require to sustain a promotion push should Doolan or Craig be injured - again, a pretty reasonable view which I agree with. Do Christie and McGuigan have potential? Yes, I believe they do. But because someone else isn't so sure certainly doesn't call into question their support of the team. Some people need to get off their high horse and realise that simply because others aren't expressing blind positivity doesn't make them any inferior.

Supporters get behind players, critics complain about them

Away you go.

The first rely called McGuigan a "waste of space" and said Elliot should be "shipped out". That isn't what I'd call crticism, it's just having a go at two guys who're unfortunate to haven't had much time to show what they can do because the squad has become stronger. You can discuss merits or weaknesses of players without haing a go at the and just dismissing them as useless. That's where the negativity comes from.

BTW the OP just asked a straighforward, reasonable question about whether they should be loaned to get game time ... then the thread got derailed.

The first rely called McGuigan a "waste of space" and said Elliot should be "shipped out". That isn't what I'd call crticism, it's just having a go at two guys who're unfortunate to haven't had much time to show what they can do because the squad has become stronger. You can discuss merits or weaknesses of players without haing a go at the and just dismissing them as useless. That's where the negativity comes from.

BTW the OP just asked a straighforward, reasonable question about whether they should be loaned to get game time ... then the thread got derailed.

Thanks Mr Bunny, Couldn`t have put it better myself.Right on the button.

I assume you meant reply, in which case you are referring to my post:

"Would much rather we kept McGuigan and gave him the odd 20 mins and ship out Elliott. Waste of a shirt."

In no way did I describe McGuigan as a waste of space. I like McGuigan and I think we should be giving him a go in front of Elliot. Against Queens Park and on the other occasions I've seen McGuigan he looks like he could have potential at this level, perhaps not as a number one but a good back up.

Elliot has had his chance and done nothing. A striker has a natural instinct which is to score goals - no matter their age, a good striker should score at least a reasonable amount of goals per game. With age and experience a forward will begin to contribute to the overall performance and play (as well as extra goals). Elliot is now 21 and has not got the natural scoring instinct needed. He has also lacked any real influence in any game. The likes of Burns and Fraser showed promise that Elliot hasn't. Also this idea that he came on with half an hour to go and managed to run down their defense on one occasion is frankly pathetic. Hamilton were dead, the game was over, he is a professional footballer and the least I would expect is him to run towards a defender once. Elliot must have one of the worst scoring ratios of any striker we have had in years.

Back to the thread question, I think a loan would do both these players the world of good. We can only send out one so why not Elliot as McGuigan is a better option for us currently.

I apologise for confusing two comments on Elliot and thinking one applied to McGuigan - you did use the expression "waste of a shirt" though. I misremembered it as "space".

As for sending out Elliot instead of McGuigan I'm sure the manager mentioned a while back that McGuigan had had an injury (not too serious I think). On the other hand Elliot's been coming on regularly as a sub so of the two is probably match fit or close to it whereas McGuigan having been out for a bit will need games to get back to speed, so it makes sense to loan him out.

In the longer term both are on contracts for this year or beyond (Elliot only 1 year left I think) so there's no point talking about getting rid of them until at least January - so give them a chance, get them games either on loan or in reserves and if necessary give them extra training and see if we can make players out of them. I think they've both got potential though I realise players often do and don't make it - but let's see.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Jackie stated last night as far as he was concerend no more loans and wanted to use the reserve games to keep those not in the first team going.

also that any player that had gone out on loan always still trains with the thistle team as well as with there loan team to make sure they being coached properly and if and when nesseccery come back into the first team

Jackie stated last night as far as he was concerned no more loans and wanted to use the reserve games to keep those not in the first team going.

Thanks for posting that. Answers the question I was asking. With a relatively small squad it's probably better to have players on hand that can step up when required knowing exactly what's required of them formation/tactics wise. Drawback previously was rustiness but hopefully having more reserve games this season will provide both match fitness and experience.

I think this will do him good. Considering he's come from university football, it's impressive he's been in the team at all lately, and a move to Rovers could give him that fitness and confidence he needs.

If he learns how to use his stature, he could be an awesome player for us. He's a big guy and well capable of causing any defence problems on his day.

Edited by Lin1876

I think this will do him good. Considering he's come from university football, it's impressive he's been in the team at all lately, and a move to Rovers could give him that fitness and confidence he needs.

If he learns how to use his stature, he could be an awesome player for us. He's a big guy and well capable of causing any defence problems on his day.

Agreed.

When Craig got injured I was worried about Elliot leading the line. Although he didn,t get on the scoresheet it seems from the commentary that he helped us get that victory today with a solid performance.

I think he was a little ahead in picking order with regards to McGuigan. Good to see the big lad get on the scoresheet.

Hopefully Doohlan will be back soon.