Just In

Lionel J. Botch

Well, we won't play much worse than that this season and collect all 3 points. Cowdenbeath were on top for a lot of that game and Foxy had to make a few decent stops. Certainly missed Welsh from the middle of the park.

As much as he has improved moving to midfield, Paton does not need to go for the world cup ball all the time.

Felt sorry for big Elliot, put in a power of running but was pretty much starved of any decent service.

Hey ho - a win is a win. Well done boys for grinding it out.

Oh and turn that feedback loop from the North Stand off. Pain in the @rse. If one of the reasons kids can't go in there is that the shouting and singing is not for their ears, don't circulate it around the stadium. No offence to the guys in the stand, but don't think it is a good idea.

Well, it's six wins out of six but we really had to work for it today! Jags were totally dominant in the first half and deserved to go in leading by more than the single goal scored by Aaron Muirhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmU1YHBO5Kc

However things were not so easy in the second half as the impressive Cowdenbeath disrupted Thistle's passing game and drew level with a 30 yard wonder strike. Thistle had Scott Fox to thank for not falling behind as he produced two brilliant saves to keep the game square. Thistle finally got back in front courtesy of an own goal. Aaron Sinclair's cross being turned into the net by a Cowden defender however I think there was a Jag at the back post waiting to pounce had the ball got that far. The ref Willie Collum was utterly abysmal throughout.

We will have to play a lot better next week if we want to win at Starks park

Edited by Camallain

Well, we won't play much worse than that this season and collect all 3 points. Cowdenbeath were on top for a lot of that game and Foxy had to make a few decent stops. Certainly missed Welsh from the middle of the park.

As much as he has improved moving to midfield, Paton does not need to go for the world cup ball all the time.

Felt sorry for big Elliot, put in a power of running but was pretty much starved of any decent service.

Oh and turn that feedback loop from the North Stand off. Pain in the @rse. If one of the reasons kids can't go in there is that the shouting and singing is not for their ears, don't circulate it around the stadium. No offence to the guys in the stand, but don't think it is a good idea.

Were they ****! We utterly dominated the first half and really paid for only being a goal up when they equalised, the goal was a pretty good strike as well. A 10 minute spell at the start of the second half we were poor, but otherwise more than deserved winners.

I counted the goal and the flicked on header as their chances, all of which came in a short spell at the start of the second half. They played with every outfield player behind the ball at times, and in the first half their possession was pretty much limited to punting the ball clear.

I wouldn't have said they were on top for most of the game but I think their keeper had as many saves to make as Scott Fox.

Credit to Colin Cameron & Cowdenbeath. You can see why they're in the semis of the Ramsdens & how they are where they are in 1st division. Very well organised & defended very well.

That said we were wasteful at time with our possession today & didn't get enough bodies at times into the box to support Christie Elliot.

Sean Welsh a definite miss for me today but again maybe doing Cowdenbeath a disservice in that they were right on top of our players every time they got the ball in the final 3rd today. Murray, Muirhead & Archie probably touched the ball more than any other Jags players.

Good runs by Erskine to win the penalty and Sinclair to 'set up' the 2nd. Brannigan's ball to Sinclair a beauty as well.

No outstanding contributions and not the best performance by any stretch but showed again today that we're a good team. 3 points are 3 points & the promotion bus drives onwards to Kirkcaldy next week. :-)

Clarification, I meant a lot of the second half - agree lots of ball in the first half but nothing much created.

After the scored, they had a few other decent chances.

Even then, they were on top for 15 minutes tops (in which time we were so lucky not to go 3-1 down) before we settled. Neither side threatened much apart from a few bursts, but we were well on top for most of the game

''Cowden were on top for alot of the game''?? LOL you sure you were at Firhill today? Yes, we certainly didnt play as well as we have but what you say is nonsense. And the feedback thing is a great idea imo.

Thought we dominated the first half and should've been more than the one goal up. A penalty, incedentally which was definetly of the stonewall variety as opposed to the SEvCO variety.

Cowdenbeath had a wee spell of about ten/fifteen minutes when they came right into the game,and did score with a very good strike. Immediately afterwards weseemed a bit out of sorts and seemed to be somewhat confusd as to why the scores were level after we had dominated the ffirst half.

Nonetheless, the substitution seemed to spark us back to life and in the end, our goal sealed a fairly confartable victory IMO, albeit with a wee reminder what happens to teams that are inordinately wasteful.

• Members

Totally dominated the 1st and felt Lawless should have passed the ball again instead of having a shot after Paton's backheel. Two players to his left looked in better positions to me to eith get the goal or make it even easier to score. Credit to Cowden for their performance in the second half though. They came out and got in about us and didn't allow the team to play football at all. The semi up there will be tough.

Were we watching the same game? Cowdenbeath on top for a lot of the game? Apart from a ten minute spell at the start of the 2nd it was one way traffic. Infact id go as far as to say that the first half was one of the most one sided halves ive ever seen at Firhill

this, the first half posesh must have been 90% Thistle, we had a few half chances, Elliott was running through and brought down by their keeper closer to the goal than last week at livvy but still only a yellow, they did have 1 or 2 covering defenders but i think with no keeper in goals its more of a scoring opportunity and was bloody lucky not to have been sent off.it was a stonewall pen, we should have been 2 or 3 up at half time but took our foot of the gas for the first 10 or 15 of the 2nd half but we upped the tempo again and got the much deserved win. cowdenbeath were rank rotten, when the manager aged 39 who is well passed it, cant keep up with play and generally atrocious feels he has to play then that tells you how bad they are. good win though, 2-1 flattered the feefers and didnt really do us justice, to be honest we're never going to score goals with Elliott in the team, he doesn't read the game or anticipate balls as doolan or craig would. Lawless and Erskine had quiet games, although the bridge won the pen. Archie was my MOTM closely followed by muirhead.forbes looks loke a welsh type player in his short cameo role, looks like he wants to drop deep and get the ball and spray the passes about, he's a decent sized boy aswell. overall well chuffed with the result,pitty dungfermline didn't drop points!

We did suffer a bit from not having our (new) first 11 all together, but hey we did deserve the three points really, I may be a tactical diddy who needs specs but shouldn't their keeper have been red carded in the first half? Surely that really was a goal scoring opportunity at the edge of the box?

We did suffer a bit from not having our (new) first 11 all together, but hey we did deserve the three points really, I may be a tactical diddy who needs specs but shouldn't their keeper have been red carded in the first half? Surely that really was a goal scoring opportunity at the edge of the box?

If the referee was in a bad mood maybe, but in my view a "clear goalscoring opportunity" is where you would be very likely to score if you weren't fouled. Erskine wasn't quite there and would have been at a very acute angle. Also bear in mind it was only about 15 minutes in, so given that a red card was 50/50 at best, I think a booking was the right call. Certain booking for the challenge itself, but while I was personally screaming for a red card, I can see why it didn't come.

That was hard, hard work and we really had to grind that one out. Cowdenbeath were no mugs and closed everything down to snuff us out for long periods of the second half.

Fox,who I thought was a bit slow at their goal, had to produce two great stops to stop us going behind also.

We had some teriffic passing football in the first half but the lack of clear cut shots on goal throughout the game was a worry.We missed Welsh a lot IMO.Poor service to Elliot up front today but he put in a power of running.He looks to me as if he's thinking too much about scoring rather than just striking the ball at the first opportunity.

Liked the look of Forbes, never misplaced a pass and had one of our few good strikes on target which the keeper fumbled.

No faulting the physical effort either, really had to lift things as the game went on.I thought Paton covered every blade today and is maybe a future captain..

Not as pretty or flowing as we've been but good to see we can grind it out when needs must too...........A win's a win

Wonderful win - hard fought - grit, determination, glad I went etc. etc. Sorry if I'm a wee bit incoherent but I've had a good few few celebratory malt whiskies and, as you can see, my avatar cat is getting sorely tanked into some bottled beers!

Thank you, Jags!

Most of what can be said already has been, but I'd add that if a few of the shots late on in the first half had been on target, then it would have been much harder for Cowdenbeath to force their way back into the game. That great strike looked like a contender for goal of the season, by the way, and the OG would have been fired home by a Jags player if the defender hadn't stretched for it. There was one cross earlier on that I thought would have been snapped up by Doolan if he'd been on the park - a poacher's opportunity.

Deserved win today against a well organised Cowden side who made it very difficult for us.

The came at us for the first 5 or 10 minutes of the first half hassling the ball before we settled and dominated the rest of the half. Their keeper was rightly shown the yellow - I think he would have been unfortunate to see red for the challenge. It looked to me to be right on the edge of the area. On another day could a penalty have been given?

The penalty itself was a stonewaller and superbly taken by Muirhead. We hadn't really made any great chances up to that point, though. Things did push on and we really should have had at least another goal before the break. Fox was pretty much a spectator.

Second half Cowden came out fighting and gave the team its biggest test so far. There have already been some outstanding goals at Firhill this season and their leveller is up there amoungst the best. Superb strike. Fox then had to make a couple of very good saves during a period of the game in which we were just all over the place. All credit to Colin Cameron, he changed things and made it very difficult for us. Once the early pressure was over, we gradually worked our way back into the game to dominate things until full-time. Great run by Sinclair to force the winner - if the defender missed it Erskine had a tap in at the back post.

Thoroughly entertaining game in which a Cowdenbeath side fully played their part. They will take points off teams this season, make no mistake - they are one of the better sides we have played this season.

Fox - nothing to do 1st half - two great saves second. Helped win us the points

O'Donnell - Another good shift up and down the right. Crossing could be improved

Archie and Muirhead - Another fine game at the back from both. The penalty was superb and Muirheads distribution in general is quality

Sinclair - I think I prefer Bannigan here, that's not to say that he had a bad game. Did look a bit cumbersome at times, but his run won us the game.

Shug - ran most of the game, but he still has an annoying habit of playing some suicidal passes. That said he had a very good game.

Paton - Another very good performance. Never stops running

Lawless - Always a threat on the ball. His movement off is great too.

Bannigan - a decent shift filling in for Welsh, but he is better and more effective on the left as a wing back

Erskine - a little annonymous today, altough he was closely watched by the Cowden team. Still made some great runs and won us the penalty.

Elliot - Worked hard and ran himself into the ground. Didn't reach the heights of his performance against Livingston last week, but the service to him was sparse

We missed Welsh in midfield today - but again I can't crticise anyone for a bad game - yes we had a shakey spell, but they played through it and grabbed control of the game back.

Really, really good 3 points.

Nonsense. Muirhead was the manager's choice. Elliot "grabbing" the ball would have been irresponsible and disrespectful.

It was a crackin penalty anyway. Delighted to see the big man stride up so confidently.

Elliot can take plenty of confidence from his overall game today, great workrate and got into good positions which made it difficult for the Beath backline.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned Archie today. I thought he was immense, read the game superbly against young fast opponents.teaching muirhead well.

Although I thought Paton was superb and my man of the match.

Ps. Someone teach shug how to pass!!

I did, he was my MOTM! cant fault folk for giving it to big Aero for getting a goal but Archie won everything in the air, everything on the ground and cleared his lines all day, tremendous from big Arch.

Deserved win today against a well organised Cowden side who made it very difficult for us.

The came at us for the first 5 or 10 minutes of the first half hassling the ball before we settled and dominated the rest of the half. Their keeper was rightly shown the yellow - I think he would have been unfortunate to see red for the challenge. It looked to me to be right on the edge of the area. On another day could a penalty have been given?

The penalty itself was a stonewaller and superbly taken by Muirhead. We hadn't really made any great chances up to that point, though. Things did push on and we really should have had at least another goal before the break. Fox was pretty much a spectator.

Second half Cowden came out fighting and gave the team its biggest test so far. There have already been some outstanding goals at Firhill this season and their leveller is up there amoungst the best. Superb strike. Fox then had to make a couple of very good saves during a period of the game in which we were just all over the place. All credit to Colin Cameron, he changed things and made it very difficult for us. Once the early pressure was over, we gradually worked our way back into the game to dominate things until full-time. Great run by Sinclair to force the winner - if the defender missed it Erskine had a tap in at the back post.

Thoroughly entertaining game in which a Cowdenbeath side fully played their part. They will take points off teams this season, make no mistake - they are one of the better sides we have played this season.

Fox - nothing to do 1st half - two great saves second. Helped win us the points

O'Donnell - Another good shift up and down the right. Crossing could be improved

Archie and Muirhead - Another fine game at the back from both. The penalty was superb and Muirheads distribution in general is quality

Sinclair - I think I prefer Bannigan here, that's not to say that he had a bad game. Did look a bit cumbersome at times, but his run won us the game.

Shug - ran most of the game, but he still has an annoying habit of playing some suicidal passes. That said he had a very good game.

Paton - Another very good performance. Never stops running

Lawless - Always a threat on the ball. His movement off is great too.

Bannigan - a decent shift filling in for Welsh, but he is better and more effective on the left as a wing back

Erskine - a little annonymous today, altough he was closely watched by the Cowden team. Still made some great runs and won us the penalty.

Elliot - Worked hard and ran himself into the ground. Didn't reach the heights of his performance against Livingston last week, but the service to him was sparse

We missed Welsh in midfield today - but again I can't crticise anyone for a bad game - yes we had a shakey spell, but they played through it and grabbed control of the game back.

Really, really good 3 points.

really? apart from 10-15 mins of the 2nd half they were abysmal, i thought they were the worst team we've played so far, worse than dumbarton at times,the whole fact cameron feels he need to play himself in the midfield when he is fcuked says it all. #beath had 1 shot on goal and scored and one flicked on header but apart from that created nothing.first half they were worse than a pub team.