• Falkirk
    • Dunfermline
    • Raith Rovers
    • Queen Of The South
    • Stirling
    • Morton
    • Cowdenbeath
    • Ross County

I’m still convinced this cricket club is all one big elaborate hoax, We always drink in the pubs in town, I have to fight to avoid the dreadful ‘Sportsters’ pubs every time we go to Stirling or Perth. But after one of our games up there, might have been the cup win, I dragged everyone on a merry dance to find this cricket club only for it to be closed. We then fought our way through marshy fields and over fences only to find ourselves on a dual carriageway. Took us ages to get back to the town centre.

Depending on when in the year the football is, the cricket club will be closed after the game- we'd have to be playing them before the end of September or after the end of March i.e. during the cricket season for it to be open all day.

There's a few decent pubs in Stirling too, although I wholeheartedly agree about avoiding Sportsters, abysmal places.

Noticed the first Stirling away day is 23rd October- a Jaggy day indeed.

Depending on when in the year the football is, the cricket club will be closed after the game- we'd have to be playing them before the end of September or after the end of March i.e. during the cricket season for it to be open all day.

There's a few decent pubs in Stirling too, although I wholeheartedly agree about avoiding Sportsters, abysmal places.

Noticed the first Stirling away day is 23rd October- a Jaggy day indeed.

Got a feeling the cricket club was open for us before our games in Nov & Feb a couple of years back. Strangely I'm not so sure it was open for us before the friendly that year in July.

Iirc the club steward is a bino and posted a plug for the cricket club on the post match thread. Hopefully he'll do the same nearer the time in October & March.

Btw the new bridge helps a bit but it's still a longish and boring walk out to Forthbank.

Got a feeling the cricket club was open for us before our games in Nov & Feb a couple of years back. Strangely I'm not so sure it was open for us before the friendly that year in July.

Iirc the club steward is a bino and posted a plug for the cricket club on the post match thread. Hopefully he'll do the same nearer the time in October & March.

Btw the new bridge helps a bit but it's still a longish and boring walk out to Forthbank.

We had a similar thing at Ayr Utd on the 1st game of the season, although I think the walk might have been a bit shorter, BUT a lot of jags fans from different 'groups' ended up merging in the same pub/area and the sing-song to the ground was great fun. It was made better by the fact there were maybe 4 or 5 different groups (i.e. oor lot, Honkers and his mates, some of the Cumbernauld crew and others). Imagine a whole load of folk fae the forum doing something similar...could be memorable :D

Stirling for me.

QoS kind of sells itself as a good away day (as does Ross Co) and there are a fair few clubs (I'm looking at you Dunfermline and Dundee) that do not deserve our cash. However, I'm happy to give it to a fan owned club.

The thinking behind this is fine but with the current state of our finances focussing our efforts on getting people through our own gate should be a priority.

If we are to go ahead and try to arrange something like this as an away day then it may be an idea to try to get the opposing fans to return the favour. Falkirk would be a good option for this I reckon, though I understand people thinking it'd be nice to help Stirling get a bit of dough they aren't gonna be able to bring fans to Firhill in the way a club like Falkirk should.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here. Something similar that could be a way of stimulating support at Firhill as well. Something that could maybe run in tandem with a Fans Day Out.

Question: When St Johnstone fans organised their Big Day Out did their club pay for or subsidise supporters buses?

I doubt there's many of us who would expect our Board to do similar, money best spent elsewhere etc. But .... I myself don't use any supporters bus but I can imagine such a gesture would be most welcome to the bus organisors. It could give them an invaluable opportunity to sign up members. The only way the Club could justify such a gesture would be if the other club involved was to reciprocate at a corresponding match at Firhill. So in such a case the Day Out would have to be as Vom Itorium suggests to a club like Falkirk with a decent enough away support. There is of course also scope for reciprocal incentives at the turnstiles as well whether a straight lower entry price or some sort of two for one discount etc.

I'm a believer in the Club backing fan initiatives and vice versa. Most would agree I'm sure that the gap between fan and club is alarmingly stretched and needs to be closed urgently for the good of everyone. All that's required here is a bit of imagination from our Club and another similar sized club. Something to break up the tedium of the usual four games a season legue set up we're lumbered with.

Fakirk have a hundred and one diddy pretend derbies with the Fife teams and Stirling next season already. In fact I think our away attendences will go down as all those teams scrimp and save to visit one of the numerous local griefholes to debate who has more fingers and who gives it to their sister hardest.

Morton, the most uncomfortable day out imaginable. Absolutely nothing attractive about that dump. :thumbdown:

I agree entirely.

The sad thing is our Club may have wanted to play on the rivalry aspect somewhat similar to what they tried with the Dundee game last season. That fell flat as, even though they were still chasing the league, that lot failed to turn up in sufficient numbers. Morton away support is a good bit healthier and like us have no real derby game. However there's no way though that we can get some sort of reciprocal Big Day Out type thing with a club that treat away fans so abysmally.

• 2 weeks later...

Would Annan Athletic or another cup game away not be a good idea? As being a cup tie it means that our club gets around half the takings at least. Any league day away is really just adding money to the other teams coffers

Sounds like a much better idea, but more difficult to plan in advance, as we obviously won't find out about the fixture until after the draw, and we might not even get another away match in the cups, or we might get livi or dundee away :(. I think a lot more people already make the effort to go to cup games too.

• 2 months later...