Jambos Going.....going.....gone ?

Dick Dastardly

Just looking at the average attendances of the SPL this year, the top league in our country, shows only three teams apart from Celtic, to get over ten thousand fans through the doors. Most are gasping around five thousand. And look at who the second-best supported team is! Regardless of the reason, if they do go bust, that will be many thousands of fans that will be lost to Scottish football and won't come back.

Football support is a small and brackish pool and there are just too many fish struggling for air. I don't understand how full time football can really be sustained for too much longer with such poor interest shown by the public. In our case, it's difficult to envisage a more exciting season really - the best chance we have to win the league in donkey's years, and a genuine title fight against another strong team. And will there be much over 3000 at the game on Saturday? 2500?

I don't know how anyone can sit in the vast, empty, arena of Firhill, and feel comfortable about the future. And I honestly don't know how well Thistle are really doing behind the scenes. But it is threadbare, isn't it? It always seems to be.

I'm not really wanting to get into arguments. Fair enough if you think Scottish football's doing okay. Laugh away if you want to laugh.

Just looking at the average attendances of the SPL this year, the top league in our country, shows only three teams apart from Celtic, to get over ten thousand fans through the doors. Most are gasping around five thousand. And look at who the second-best supported team is! Regardless of the reason, if they do go bust, that will be many thousands of fans that will be lost to Scottish football and won't come back.

Football support is a small and brackish pool and there are just too many fish struggling for air. I don't understand how full time football can really be sustained for too much longer with such poor interest shown by the public. In our case, it's difficult to envisage a more exciting season really - the best chance we have to win the league in donkey's years, and a genuine title fight against another strong team. And will there be much over 3000 at the game on Saturday? 2500?

I don't know how anyone can sit in the vast, empty, arena of Firhill, and feel comfortable about the future. And I honestly don't know how well Thistle are really doing behind the scenes. But it is threadbare, isn't it? It always seems to be.

I'm not really wanting to get into arguments. Fair enough if you think Scottish football's doing okay. Laugh away if you want to laugh.

Not laughing Peagreenboy I just don't believe scottish football is in as bad a situation as the media would make out, attendances have been about the same for over a decade now, we're in a country with a population of only 4 million with a majority of the football following percentage following their religion rather than their local or family linked club.

Scottish football was going to be fine 18 months ago when Rangers and Celtic were talking about breaking away for the mid atlantic or english league so if Hearts have to re-establish itself in the 4th tier with Rangers I don't see how that will change us, if anything itt may shake the game up, we now have Hibs chasing Celtic for the League and more teams chasing an extra uefa cup spot now only 1 of the OF are there

Football will survive clubs pulled temselves out of the dirge of the early to mid eighties when the crowds were really poor (less than 2000 at firhill and 4 figures regularly at Ibrox pre-souness) and will cut its cloth and come back again

Good to see the Rangers fans on FB blaming their demise on the fact that Rangers are not in SPHell

That was predictable as they've been wishing disaster on the "bigoted" clubs who voted them down to the 3rd division due to pressure from their "bigoted" fans.

Of course the fact that Hearts had the same threat last season (and have been struggling for years with a massive debt) when Rangers were in the SPL doesn't seem to penetrate their thick skulls.

Edited by Mr Bunny

We ran up debt making the stadium an all seater white elephant to comply with the then rules, I don't remember us ever throwing silly money around like Dunfermline paying Stevie Crawford 5k a week, Dundee bringing in boatloads of foreigners on daft wages or throwing money at players like the Livingston franchise.

Any club who has a long history of financial mismanagement and attaining success off the back of it is fair game for going out of business, IMO.

And **** the fans, you never hear a peep when money that clubs don't have is being thrown at players to achieve success. Don't think I'll suddenly start feeling sorry for them tbh now they're skint.

We've grubbed it in the lower leagues for years watching endless amounts of shite because we never went down the road of clubs like Dunfermline and its been pretty shite. High time these clubs suffer.

Spot on!

Any club who has a long history of financial mismanagement and attaining success off the back of it is fair game for going out of business, IMO.

And **** the fans, you never hear a peep when money that clubs don't have is being thrown at players to achieve success. Don't think I'll suddenly start feeling sorry for them tbh now they're skint.

We've grubbed it in the lower leagues for years watching endless amounts of shite because we never went down the road of clubs like Dunfermline and its been pretty shite. High time these clubs suffer.

Spot on :thumbsup2:

At the tarts: Ha ha ha!

At the rest, including us: (Gulp!?)

Not laughing Peagreenboy I just don't believe scottish football is in as bad a situation as the media would make out, attendances have been about the same for over a decade now, we're in a country with a population of only 4 million with a majority of the football following percentage following their religion rather than their local or family linked club.

Scottish football was going to be fine 18 months ago when Rangers and Celtic were talking about breaking away for the mid atlantic or english league so if Hearts have to re-establish itself in the 4th tier with Rangers I don't see how that will change us, if anything itt may shake the game up, we now have Hibs chasing Celtic for the League and more teams chasing an extra uefa cup spot now only 1 of the OF are there

Football will survive clubs pulled temselves out of the dirge of the early to mid eighties when the crowds were really poor (less than 2000 at firhill and 4 figures regularly at Ibrox pre-souness) and will cut its cloth and come back again

Last official count was over 5 million, NorgeTh., but for the rest, no dispute.

After "Save the jags" which I have very bad memories coming back for.

If we can help Hearts fans out then I think we should even if thats a pound a fan or word of encouragment.

I don,t think this is good news at all. Its the fans I feel for

Sorry, but just about every tarts fan I've met is at the same time a watered down and a east-coast fortified h u n, with serious attitude problems. I feel nothing for them.

There is a beautiful irony about all these clubs with h un tendencies going out of buisness. First we had Airdrie, then R*ngers and now the Jambos. K*llie next???

Don't forget Dundee and their 'Derry boys'!

I have mixed feelings about this. From a purely selfish perspective it could be advantageous to Thistle if Hearts went the way of their Govan role models, at least in the short term, as it would more than likely free up an additional place in the SPL. On the other hand, Tynecastle was one of the grounds I was looking forward to visiting next season, in the event that we win promotion.

Last official count was over 5 million, NorgeTh., but for the rest, no dispute.

Yep, we are about 5.3 million strong, I think. Maybe Norge was thinking of, err, Norge when he typed that figure. ;)

Good to see the Rangers fans on FB blaming their demise on the fact that Rangers are not in SPHell

That was my fear as well - the blue bigots somehow turning this into a consequence of their not being in the SPL. Suppose anything to deflect attention from their own pish.

No matter what our past is, i've got no sympathy for any company that doesnt pay its dues. Still, hope somebody with an interest in Hearts (rather than just making cash) can step in and start to turn things around.

Think their best chance of survival is administration - though that is heavily dependent on Romanov and nobody can figure what goes on in his head. He owns most of the debt and could prevent liquidation but it's anybody's guess what he'll do.

If administration they'll take a bigger points hit than Rangers did (as they changed the rules after they got docked 10 points) possibly as much as 18pts. Since they're struggling a bit that could very well mean relegation but they could survive that if they got rid of the debt.

However it really all depends on Romanov. He could just as easily throw his toy (Hearts) out of the pram and close them down.

Edited to add: forget them MerryHell; they live in a universe of twisted logic. What is obvious to anyone else with half a brain and a memory that can stretch back a few months completely bamboozles them - what they want to believe they believe, what they don't want to believe is just lies from taigs (and in their eyes these days, everyone else is a taig, including us).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Some fair points but a little on the pessimistic side. So far this season we are averaging about 2800 that's with games against Hamilton, Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath at Firhill - 3 of the lower supported clubs in the league. That is about 800 more than we averaged 2 years ago. It's not the good old days but it is going in the right direction. As for other clubs, the SPL attendances are pretty much where they have been for ages - The Rangers factor only affecting Celtic whose crowds are down by about 5000 but they have expensive champions league football to more than supplement that loss. Scottish Football is paying for years and years of mismanagement and not just recent events. Hearts and Dunfermline have been dodging the bullet for years but as Rangers have shown a trip to the third division doesn't have to mean you lose your fans to Saturday Shopping. And for what it's worth from where I sit Firhill is pretty noisy these days and that "vast empty" arena doesn't seem so vast or empty at the moment.

Rangers have shown a trip to the third division doesn't have to mean you lose your fans to Saturday Shopping.

Sorry TT but must jump on that. The sustaining of Rangers' support in div 3 is all about putting fingers up to the rest of us, is being encouraged by appeasement of the bigots, and (more sensibly) about fear of what will happen if they don't turn up.

They've also gotten huge publicity and encouragement from the monkey media (including free promotion of the buying of tickets for Ibrox, something never ever done for any other club).

So to say the Rangers situation can be compared with any other club is completely wrong.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Sorry TT but must jump on that. The sustaining of Rangers' support in div 3 is all about putting fingers up to the rest of us, is being encouraged by appeasement of the bigots, and (more sensibly) about fear of what will happen if they don't turn up.

They've also gotten huge publicity and encouragement from the monkey media (including free promotion of the buying of tickets for Ibrox, something never ever done for any other club).

So to say the Rangers situation can be compared with any other club is completely wrong.

Fair points but whatever the reason the fact is they get a nearly full stadium every game in the league. There would be no reason to think if Dunfermline and Hearts went the same way all their fans would go shopping and be lost forever to football. That's all I was saying that the end doesn't always have to be the end.

To be fair Hearts have been in the financial and administrative do-do for as long as I can remember. In addition Romanov is a prima facia nut and if the SFA actually did their job how in God's name could he ever be a fit and proper person? bit of a shame and all, but I,ve never liked the Yams too much of the Currant Buns about them for my liking.. And as I never tire of telling I got hit with a pie at Tynecastle and on my first visit there I got called a "Glasgae ****** b*stard"- quite how how the respectable looking guy discerned that from my Thistle scarf I don't really know, but hey it takes all kinds. I for one will not revel in Hearts' misfortunes, but I sure as hell won't be shedding any crocodile tears.

Well that is a sad comment Jaggernaut.

Didn,t expect that one from you who I see as quite fair minded on this forum.

You would really like Hearts fans to lose there team?

Well, ask yourself whether tarts fans would even blink an eyelid if Thistle disappeared.

I wouldn't particularly "like" them to disappear, but I wouldn't feel especially sorry about it. Indifference is probably my sentiment.