Catering Idea

gettingjaggy

Hi,

Just on the back of a few thoughts today, I was wondering if this would be an idea for half time catering.

You know that these American styled pop up bbq carts have been appearing around Glasgow? Places like Buddy's in the South Side and Smoak at Variety? They do full hog roasts, pulled pork sandwiches and various other Man v Food inspired burger style bbq dishes.

I was speaking to some people at ht who were mighty pissed off (me included) about the madness of catering queues. There just aren't enough kiosks, and the concourse isn't wide enough for other concessions on it in current health and safety.

What about if we set up a "closed" ring of marquee type tents running from one set of big exit doors to the other at the opposite end of the JHS, with till type channels at the doors, and had big hog roast type bbq setups running the length of the JHS? One way system, a few stewards, pay on the way out OR if you're in early enough buy a voucher at the kiosk for a bite and a drink, and then all troop out at half time?

It could be a real novelty, would probably be the best catering in the SFL, and it might relieve the concourse a bit...

Thoughts?

Hi,

Just on the back of a few thoughts today, I was wondering if this would be an idea for half time catering.

You know that these American styled pop up bbq carts have been appearing around Glasgow? Places like Buddy's in the South Side and Smoak at Variety? They do full hog roasts, pulled pork sandwiches and various other Man v Food inspired burger style bbq dishes.

I was speaking to some people at ht who were mighty pissed off (me included) about the madness of catering queues. There just aren't enough kiosks, and the concourse isn't wide enough for other concessions on it in current health and safety.

What about if we set up a "closed" ring of marquee type tents running from one set of big exit doors to the other at the opposite end of the JHS, with till type channels at the doors, and had big hog roast type bbq setups running the length of the JHS? One way system, a few stewards, pay on the way out OR if you're in early enough buy a voucher at the kiosk for a bite and a drink, and then all troop out at half time?

It could be a real novelty, would probably be the best catering in the SFL, and it might relieve the concourse a bit...

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

You've had too much Christmas sherry! ;)

The best idea to the problem is to have a booth were you purchase a card which has credit on it then you go the pie stall with it, they swipe it no money changing hands job done, quick service small waiting times.

Ive been in Germany at games and this works a treat, and if you don't spend all your credit you simply use your card again at the next game, what's the problem??.

I try not to make silly suggestions! I honestly think it could be a goer! But yeah, as LMJ says it's all about Sporting Solutions.

Hopefully whenever that contact is up they ask the fans for ideas. We used to do pie of the month which people really loved.

Sporting Solutions also have the contact to the Aitken suite which is just as bad as the catering sadly!

The best idea to the problem is to have a booth were you purchase a card which has credit on it then you go the pie stall with it, they swipe it no money changing hands job done, quick service small waiting times.

Ive been in Germany at games and this works a treat, and if you don't spend all your credit you simply use your card again at the next game, what's the problem??.

The card booths in Germany work well but then the Bundesliga averages 40,000+ attendances which make it worthwhile investing in expensive technologies. I'm not sure the same can be applied to Firhill.

Schools open 5 days a week not once a fortnight and will have much greater competition when tendering for catering contracts so again we're not really comparing eggs with eggs. There's nothing wrong with thinking big but thinking best stadiums in Europe big when you're loaded with debt and playing in front of 2500 people in the SFL is sigesige00 stuff. I don't know for sure though, maybe a card system could be affordable. I don't go to away games but does anybody know if a card system is used elsewhere in SFL? And if it isn't does every ground have the same problems?

Still, even if they do sort out the queues, I wouldn't buy the sh*te food that's on offer.

Or you could buy tokens meaning you don't need any added infrastructure, just maybe an extra member of staff or two to sell the tokens/vouchers.

• Like 1

True. But I used them as examples of this kind of food's popularity. If they can't keep up with demand, and we have a big setup outside that gets everyone tasty food in 15 minutes, itd be a hell of a lot easier to convince mates to come to games and enjoy the whole experience. Smoak has only been operating a couple of months and has had to invest in a proper kitchen space already to keep up with demand.

Last time I experienced anything like it is when we go to six nations games at Murrayfield - the hotels around the stadium make a killing from bottle bars and barbeques in marquees outside when they have mere tiny bars inside for their lower demand the rest of the year. Done cleverly, Thistle could really have something special.

Ultimately, and tasty as they my be, I doubt that many people are looking for that type of product at firhill. Also, I'm not sure how the polis would be about lots of food outlets equating to more people congregating for longer outside the ground. If we can sort the queuing, availability, selection and service problems that exist just now then I doubt there would be many complaints.

Basics need to be sorted out. Extra bodies serving, hot pies and hot dogs and enough hot water for drinks. I've suggested it before, I feel that servers with cash handlers separate would be a step forward. I've not even bothered getting anything in the last two months. Have things improved? I don't think so going by the reasoned comments on here. Even the away fans I spoke to yesterday suggested we ran out of pies before halftime. Over to Sporting Solutions I feel. Time to shape up or ship out, imo.

• Like 2

I think 3 or 4 farmers market style food outlets would be a great idea. If people want to spend a fiver on a burger or other products then they could go out to the stalls before the game or during in a cordoned off area. Love the stuff that's on offer at Queens Park Farmers Market. People will still queue for pies and bovrils and Thistle offers something a bit different.

Yet another pie stalls thread.

It has been said many times before. Why on earth would the caterers want to change anything when they have huge queues lining up at halftime to buy their greasy shit. Jeezo they even sell-out some of the garbage.

Just don't buy the stuff and it'll change pronto.

• Like 1

True. But I used them as examples of this kind of food's popularity. If they can't keep up with demand, and we have a big setup outside that gets everyone tasty food in 15 minutes, itd be a hell of a lot easier to convince mates to come to games and enjoy the whole experience. Smoak has only been operating a couple of months and has had to invest in a proper kitchen space already to keep up with demand.

Last time I experienced anything like it is when we go to six nations games at Murrayfield - the hotels around the stadium make a killing from bottle bars and barbeques in marquees outside when they have mere tiny bars inside for their lower demand the rest of the year. Done cleverly, Thistle could really have something special.

Only been in the Variety a couple of months GJ...Has a had a shop in Yorkhill for some time...the sandwiches are fantastic..I know the guy that owns it :thumbsup2:

Getting Jaggy/all - this is part of my remit under Onethistle. As GJ pants out, a better customer experience will lead to more fans.

GJ - can you pm me your email address and we can have a discussion please ? (club email address is not yet up and running) I'd like to just understand your ideas a little more fully.

Coincidentally, we are looking to run a poll to garner views on food choices. We are already very well aware of the challenges with queues and continue to work with Sporting Solutions to improve things (eg opening the Heineken bar recently).

To everyone, I would only add, we ARE working on this and we will improve it.

Thanks, Lance

Getting Jaggy/all - this is part of my remit under Onethistle. As GJ pants out, a better customer experience will lead to more fans.

GJ - can you pm me your email address and we can have a discussion please ? (club email address is not yet up and running) I'd like to just understand your ideas a little more fully.

Coincidentally, we are looking to run a poll to garner views on food choices. We are already very well aware of the challenges with queues and continue to work with Sporting Solutions to improve things (eg opening the Heineken bar recently).

To everyone, I would only add, we ARE working on this and we will improve it.

Thanks, Lance

:shok::blush: