January Transfer Window

jagfox

Doolan is not our "1st choice striker" for 2 reasons: 1. Craig is scoring goals and 2. McNamara's policy that the player in possession of the jersey keeps it, unless they do horrendous. Our striker changes have been made due to injury or suspension. When Craig came back from his injury/suspension he got in the team because Doolan hadn't scored in his 4 games.

In SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 541 minutes, while Craig has 5 in 560 minutes. Both very respectable records and very similar for very different types of striker. In each of our last 2 seasons Doolan has scored more goals in the second half of the season than the first half.

TL:DR version. Both strikers are doing very well for us, but just because a striker is "off-form" doesn't make him bad.

Can you check your Doolan stat.... cause to me it looks like 5 goals in 681 minutes of league football...

Incidentally, why not include cup games?

Can you check your Doolan stat.... cause to me it looks like 5 goals in 681 minutes of league football...

Incidentally, why not include cup games?

I've re-checked Doolan's stat and it is indeed wrong. I have 5 goals in 675 minutes. Still a very respectable record. Not bad for a player who has 5 sub appearances in his last 8.

Cup games include games against weaker opposition. I find it fairer to judge them against the same standard of opposition teams in the same league, rather than have games against lower league opponents skew the stats. Sometimes it backs up my argument, sometimes it doesn't. That's life.

I've re-checked Doolan's stat and it is indeed wrong. I have 5 goals in 675 minutes. Still a very respectable record. Not bad for a player who has 5 sub appearances in his last 8.

Cup games include games against weaker opposition. I find it fairer to judge them against the same standard of opposition teams in the same league, rather than have games against lower league opponents skew the stats. Sometimes it backs up my argument, sometimes it doesn't. That's life.

that would be the lower league teams which doolan has scored 1 goal in 362 minutes agains, being involved in 7 of our 8 cup games?

Craig has only played in 3 cup games, 250 minutes, and also scored 1, i believe.

that would be the lower league teams which doolan has scored 1 goal in 362 minutes agains, being involved in 7 of our 8 cup games?

Craig has only played in 3 cup games, 250 minutes, and also scored 1, i believe.

Doolan has scored 1 cup goal in 317 minutes EDIT: PTFC award an O.G. in the cove game in the "match summary" but award it to Doolan on the top scorers in their game review pages.

Craig has scored 2 cup goals in 206 minutes.

I don't judge cup stats, because it isn't an equal ground. They play against different strength of opponents, whereas comparing them on the same league keeps it to the same standard. Craig has performed better in the cups, yet we're still out of 2 of them before Christmas, or progressing further than 2 rounds.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make given that I've already stated Craig is getting the jersey because he is scoring goals. The form of Craig does not detract from the ability of Doolan.

Edited by G SUS

Doolan has scored 1 cup goal in 317 minutes EDIT: PTFC award an O.G. in the cove game in the "match summary" but award it to Doolan on the top scorers in their game review pages.

Craig has scored 2 cup goals in 206 minutes.

I don't judge cup stats, because it isn't an equal ground. They play against different strength of opponents, whereas comparing them on the same league keeps it to the same standard. Craig has performed better in the cups, yet we're still out of 2 of them before Christmas, or progressing further than 2 rounds.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make given that I've already stated Craig is getting the jersey because he is scoring goals. The form of Craig does not detract from the ability of Doolan.

Doolan has played 362 minutes (57,63,15,120,7,73,27)

Craig has played 250 minutes (90,89,71)

You might aswell include cup games, as not all league games are equal ground either as they play against both quality and shoit centre halfs in the league.... equally they have come up against Raith, Hamilton, Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline in the Cup.

Of the lower league teams (Clyde, Forfar, Queens Park and Cove) only doolan has scored and that was once against Clyde.

Edited by potty trained

Craig has played 250 minutes (90,89,71)

Wut? :shok:

Craig:

71 v Raith

89 v Cowdenbeath

26 v Cove

20 v Dunfermline

206 in total.

Doolan has played 362 minutes (57,63,15,120,7,73,27)

Forgot that Accies away went to ET. So will happily add 30 minutes onto my 317.

You might aswell include cup games, as not all league games are equal ground either as they play against both quality and shoit centre halfs in the league.... equally they have come up against Raith, Hamilton, Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline in the Cup.

Of the lower league teams (Clyde, Forfar, Queens Park and Cove) only doolan has scored and that was once against Clyde.

I've been judging players on a league basis all along. I haven't included the goals against dross in the cup because they skew figures.

How is any of this relevant to my original points? Which were:

1. I wouldn't swap Doolan for any striker in the bottom 6 of the SPL(I conceded others may want Russell as they have seen more of him than I have) or SFL1

2. Craig is in possession of the strikers jersey because he is scoring goals.

3. Just because Doolan is "off-form"(he went through a similar "drought" this time last year!) doesn't make him a poor striker.

Wut? :shok:

Craig:

71 v Raith

89 v Cowdenbeath

26 v Cove

20 v Dunfermline

206 in total.

Forgot that Accies away went to ET. So will happily add 30 minutes onto my 317.

I've been judging players on a league basis all along. I haven't included the goals against dross in the cup because they skew figures.

How is any of this relevant to my original points? Which were:

1. I wouldn't swap Doolan for any striker in the bottom 6 of the SPL(I conceded others may want Russell as they have seen more of him than I have) or SFL1

2. Craig is in possession of the strikers jersey because he is scoring goals.

3. Just because Doolan is "off-form"(he went through a similar "drought" this time last year!) doesn't make him a poor striker.

Right enough, forgot about the sub appearance and the red card for craig.

either way i'm not sure why you are not including cup games... 4 were against 1st div opposition and 4 were against dross, that both could only manage 1 goal between them in. so if anything including them would only act to make their stats look worse than they currently are.

The fact remains that its all about opinion, and stats don't really stand for anything as they can be viewed in any way you wish, either a positive or negative way.

But for accuracy:

Your original point:

In SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 541 minutes, while Craig has 5 in 560 minutes. Both very respectable records and very similar for very different types of striker.

If you include cup games:

Doolan has scored 6 goals in 1043 minutes. Taking part in 19 games.

Craig has scored 7 in 767 minutes. Taking part in 12 games.

My point? that your original point that doolan and craig have very similar records is wide of the mark.

Your original point:

In SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 541 minutes, while Craig has 5 in 560 minutes. Both very respectable records and very similar for very different types of striker.

My point? that your original point that doolan and craig have very similar records is wide of the mark.

My point isn't that wide of the mark, since i am comparing league games only. :thumbsup2:

You want to include cup games? Feel free, but don't claim that my point isn't valid since I'm comparing their record in one significant competition.

Edited by G SUS

My point isn't that wide of the mark, since i am comparing league games only. :thumbsup2:

You want to include cup games? Feel free, but don't claim that my point isn't valid since I'm comparing their record in one significant competition.

Your original wide of the mark point should have read:

In the SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 681 minutes in 12 games.

Where as Craig has 5 goals in 560 minutes in 8 games.

Edited by potty trained

Your original wide of the mark point should have read:

In the SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 681 minutes in 12 games.

Where as Craig has 5 goals in 560 minutes in 8 games.

Which still isn't that wide of the mark. They have comparable records. The number of games is irrelevant. It's the minutes on the park that count.

Anyone know if anyone is leaving or joining in the upcoming month?

The worry is that Chris and Kris could be off due to their current form and lack of game time, respectively.

At least with performances like that today the vultures won't be flying over Firhill for long ;)

I think we will see a couple of bids coming in for a couple of our players in the transfer window. Hopefully nobody leaves, but money talks

Evening times tonight.jackie says we are done,no more ins or outs.slane and smith not to return to us.so everybody calm down,doolan and erskine going nowhere!

Hmm I think we could have done with someone who could play right back (and obviously either centre back or midfield if possible to give wider cover). But I guess he must figure O'Donnel will be back soon.

Evening times tonight.jackie says we are done,no more ins or outs.slane and smith not to return to us.so everybody calm down,doolan and erskine going nowhere!

OPINION: I'm sure if the right player comes along, then we'll dip into the transfer market to try and improve our squad. If a club did offer us significant money(6 figures) then I feel the club would be mad to turn it down.

Just for clarity, the evening times said

"He said: "That is us done. There won't be anyone else in and hopefully nobody out."

"Hopefully" being the key word.

I think we are fine in defence (although O'Donnell is a real blow and hopefully back in couple of weeks) and goal keeping is fine (can always get another temp keeper if Fox is injured again). Central midfield is sorted; as is up front - seeing as we only play one striker.

I am still concerned that we rely too heavily on Erskine and Lawless. We need another out and out winger. A Mark Corcorran style of player. I worry with Lawless not available we could struggle tomorrow. Would agree with suggestions that banigan could fill his jersey but, too me, this is only a temp fix. We really need a game changer that can come off the bench or push for a place with Erskine and Lawless. Players such as Paton, Welsh and defenders can be relied upon every game but not the flair players. People only have so much creativity and its natural to have off days (Airdrie away).

Out of interest I notice Corcorran has only played 54 mins as a sub this season (outwith the first four games where he started twice and subbed twice). Since then he has barely made the bench in about 3 of 25 odd games. I would certainly have him back on loan. Opinions? Or any other options for a winger? I know Jackie said that is it but we are really are this one player short.

Just because the gaffer says no more ins or outs doesn't stop teams putting a bid in for any of our players and if the money was right then we could see some transfer action.

Just because the gaffer says no more ins or outs doesn't stop teams putting a bid in for any of our players and if the money was right then we could see some transfer action.

Where is the transfer money going to come from? Any bids would have to be substantial. As we are challenging for promotion, it would be a big risk to sell any of our top players. It would not be easy to secure suitable replacements who would probably cost fees too.

Where is the transfer money going to come from? Any bids would have to be substantial. As we are challenging for promotion, it would be a big risk to sell any of our top players. It would not be easy to secure suitable replacements who would probably cost fees too.

English teams have plenty of cash to offer 6 figure bids for our young talent.