When Jackie Takes The United Job

The Legend Blows

This appointment is one of THE most important decisions in the recent history of Thistle.

The BoD simply have to get it right.

My heart wishes Archie for manager but I fear it is a season too soon.

My thinking is that we have to put some trust in the players. We've got a style of play and the players to win the league and we may not require that much technical or motivational management in the short term. If Beattie has anticipated this and already got a replacement lined up, fair enough, If however he only starts looking for a permanent replacement tomorrow then I feel Archie backed by Hinchy, Murray and Rowson (if he can spare the time) to see out the season would be preferable.

What is evident is we need another McNamara. We need somebody with some intelligence, not experience.

Sheerin gets a team fired up but thats not our style.

Jonstone has too much money in Div 2 so he doesnt count - would need to be a terrible manager to fail with his team.

Hartley - never really liked him, again seems unintelligent

Bolan - seems ok

Duffy, McCall, Calderwood - no no no

Coyle, McInnes - out of our range

We need a young guy, just finished playing. Maybe doing some pundit work. Needs to of played at the top level at some point (England). A player that had skill. Neil McCann maybe ? Although dont like his gers connections but seems the right type of guy.

Maybe McNamara has voiced who he thinks should take over. Would be worth a shout

What is evident is we need another McNamara. We need somebody with some intelligence, not experience.

Sheerin gets a team fired up but thats not our style.

Jonstone has too much money in Div 2 so he doesnt count - would need to be a terrible manager to fail with his team.

Hartley - never really liked him, again seems unintelligent

Bolan - seems ok

Duffy, McCall, Calderwood - no no no

Coyle, McInnes - out of our range

We need a young guy, just finished playing. Maybe doing some pundit work. Needs to of played at the top level at some point (England). A player that had skill. Neil McCann maybe ? Although dont like his gers connections but seems the right type of guy.

Maybe McNamara has voiced who he thinks should take over. Would be worth a shout

Has Bollan really been more successful than Hartley.

Hartley may be many things but not convinced he is unintelligent

Has Bollan really been more successful than Hartley.

Hartley may be many things but not convinced he is unintelligent

He got Livi into the first. All be it, thats an easier job than getting Alloa to the first. I understand Bolan was sacked for not playing the younger ones - which would worry me. Evans is now doing that with good results so maybe Evans would switch over? Chance for promotion.

I wouldnt be against Hartley.

Swap England with international level, with no real skill and you've got Stephen Craigan?

I can't believe some people are honestly suggesting Ian Murray. He's been a manager for, what, six or seven games?

Hartley might be worth a shout. As for Gary Bollan, the guy is one of the biggest boneheads in Scottish football.

Murray is either the next Alex Ferguson or the guy he took over from was a total diddy. I'm guessing it was the latter.

The twenty as i see it:

Calderwood ..... No No No NO ! (or anyone of his ilk or age)

Bollan ..... Looks too much like The Bunnet, so No.

Duffy ..... see Bollan. Plus he is Pish.

Hartley ..... ex-tim and looks like Pressley, so No.

Johnston ..... Maybe, is Queens current style of play and methods similar to ours?

Moore ..... definitely approach Morton to speak with him and unsettle their players, but ultimately, a No.

Archie ..... season too soon for him i fear.

Murray ..... (of The Rock version) ..... a long shot, sensational early start to managerial career, but could be a big risk.

Murray ..... (our version) ..... way too early for him.

Evans ..... Definite maybe.

McCall ..... No, No, No.

Maxi ..... Best left where he is (thats unless Turncoat McNamara wants to steal him away too).

Stark .... No, No, No, NO !!!

Spiers ..... Too big a step from 3rd to 1st?

Guardiola ..... now, if we had known this was going o happen a month ago, we could have been in with a shout...

Coyle ..... saw him on Maryhill Road this afternoon.

Reid ..... No thanks.

Lennon ..... (the St Mirren one) ..... whats the chances of him resigning or being sacked in next few days?

The Hoor ..... if Ayr were sitting 3rd top instead of 3rd bottom just now, i'd have said get him in. For now though, No.

Cameron ..... Maybe, but has been more used to having to set out teams to defend, than free-flowing attack to win.

So, Evans favourite, with likes of Johnston, Cameron, and possibly Murray (of The Rock) and Spiers as out-siders by looks of it for me.

Ian Murray has had about 10 minutes in management. 10 very good ones, but naw.

Wouldn't be too interested in Johnston from QoS, not sure he'd leave with a guaranteed title win and a cup final place in the bag, and that QoS team has skited the league by signing superstars such as Derek Lyle and one of the Young brothers so they've evidently not been up against much.

I think if we're up for paying compensation then Hartley, if not then Bollan, but I can see it being Archie and Shug which would worry me.

Swap England with international level, with no real skill and you've got Stephen Craigan?

I suggested Stevie on page 2 of this thread, loved him as a player and he still has affinity towards us. Plus he won promotion twice with us so he knows what it takes. Fit as a fiddle into his mid 30s lie jackie, good example to the youngsters.

I suggested Stevie on page 2 of this thread, loved him as a player and he still has affinity towards us. Plus he won promotion twice with us so he knows what it takes. Fit as a fiddle into his mid 30s lie jackie, good example to the youngsters.

And knows Lawless and Forbes really well.

Young guys who I would like are Craigan and Lennon. Lennon is incredibly unlikely since he's currently managing a team in a league above us, who despite how s**** they are, they're in a cup final. He did have a nice attacking mentality that would fit with our squad when he started at St Mirren, but I've not watched them in ages. On the off chance St Mirren wanted rid of him I'd take him immediately.

To those who have mentioned Archie and Murray, I don't know why but I've always thought that young managerial teams should include a forward and a defender. Two defensively minded players with no managerial experience could lack the knowledge to get the best out of our forwards. In saying that, if we went for current players they would be the most obvious two as they are now coaching us.

Murray is either the next Alex Ferguson or the guy he took over from was a total diddy. I'm guessing it was the latter.

My old man reckons its the former in over 60 years of watching football he can only remember Fergie at East Stirling and Stein at Dunfermline having such an amazing early impact at a club that was doing so badly. Not a bad couple of people to follow in the footsteps of .....